Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Boat Dog Breeds

My wife and I have been together for ten years and I think its time for us to get serious.

Guys, we need a boat dog.

I need to hear from folks who own boat dogs. We are looking for a mellow breed or breeds (mutts need love too!) who can hang out and cuddle but still be a spaz when the time comes to go ashore. I'm thinking French Bull Dog, beagle/basset mix, dachsund, or Westie. I'm also interested in the hair vs fur debate. Dogs that don't shed can be a real plus! Anyone out there have a successful pooch living on their boat with them?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:44   #2

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Boat Dog Breeds

Check out Havanese silk dogs. https://www.facebook.com/jeconover
Old 07-09-2013, 06:46   #3

Boat: Shopping...

And forget Bernese Mountain dogs like the one on my avatar pic!!! He hates sailing...
Old 07-09-2013, 06:47   #4

WAVE OFF, WAVE OFF

EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:48   #5

Schipperke - bred for boats. Jack Russells are a good size but maybe too much energy for boat size.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

We have a long hair dachsund who loves sailing. Perfect size and an excellent boat guard dog. He also has never been seasick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clark.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	66636   Click image for larger version

Name:	clakk2.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	66637  

kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50   #7

For a Bernese, despite the challenges, any sacrifice is well worth it!!
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Check out Havanese silk dogs. https://www.facebook.com/jeconover
From Pet Finder:
Havanese Dog Temperament

This is a busy, curious dog; she is happiest when she is the center of attention. She loves to play and clown and is affectionate with her family, children, strangers, other dogs and pets, basically everyone! The Havanese is willing to please and learn easily, but she tends to be vocal.

Havanese Dog Care

Although energetic, the Havanese can have her exercise needs met with a short walk or a good play session. She is not a dog that can live outside. Coat care entails brushing two to four times a week. This is a nonshedding dog, which means that loose hairs are caught in the outer hairs, tending to tangle, unless they are combed out.

Sounds great!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
We have a long hair dachsund who loves sailing. Perfect size and an excellent boat guard dog. He also has never been seasick.
OMG so cute.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56   #10

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

French Bulldogs, pugs and Boston terriers are about my favorite dogs and I have had them over the years. Great dogs, but like all brachycephalic dogs, they do NOT do well in the heat. If you are planning on sailing in areas where the temps go over 90 Fahrenheit, you are flirting with very severe health problems for your dog unless you have access to plentiful AC in the heat of the day.

Personally, I would check your shelter for a homeless dog. Lots of terrier mixes available there who need homes and you are less likely to have health issues with a mixed breed dog. That being said, our plan is to get a Westie and a French Bulldog when we are ready to swallow the anchor and plan on getting them from a rescue society.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02   #11

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I have a black lab mix that does very well on board but shedding is a serious mess. Labs shed like crazy and I often wonder where it all comes from since she gets brushed daily.

I think the temperament of the dog is far more important than the breed. Many labs bounce off the walls 24/7 but not all. I got lucky. She creates tumbleweeds of fur everywhere but besides that she is awesome. Oddly she isn't a fan of water either. I think if I was researching this I may look into a petite labradoodle for low shed possibilities. There are many others though. The shedding is a PITA but I wouldn't trade my current dog for anything.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some friends have a lovely pitt that is a good boat dog for them. it all depends on your liking for dogs.... i prefer gatos, as i dont have to walk nor listen to barking for no reason nor train from jumping on folks or humping leg syndrome.
if i were to have a dog on board, would prolly be a pit or a siberian husky---but i am not that kind of soul and i like not having to declare my critter because of need to walk on land or other goggie things--must all be thought thru as you might possibly leave a dock and go somewhere.....and my cat warns me of approaching souls--i am the only person he really likes, as i hold the can opener and have safety for him in scary times.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30   #13

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

We had a French Bulldog. Too top heavy! No ballast! Kept flipping at the slightest wave or turbulence.
Would not recommend for heat factor and top heavy factor.

Portuguese Water Dog! ( Heck, it's even in the name )
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'

Rottweilers are my favorite, however their size is not good on a boat. After our last Rotty died, we got a Queensland heeler, just a pup right now, only been to the boat once, and he immediately christened the door mat. He is now a few months old and my Wife has had a lot of time to work with him, I'll be taking him back to the boat when I get home to see how he does. I'll report back in October and let you know how he does.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49   #15

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
My wife and I have been together for ten years and I think its time for us to get serious.

Guys, we need a boat dog.

I need to hear from folks who own boat dogs. We are looking for a mellow breed or breeds (mutts need love too!) who can hang out and cuddle but still be a spaz when the time comes to go ashore. I'm thinking French Bull Dog, beagle/basset mix, dachsund, or Westie. I'm also interested in the hair vs fur debate. Dogs that don't shed can be a real plus! Anyone out there have a successful pooch living on their boat with them?
Soft coated Wheatom Terrier. they dont shed , they are endearing goof balls and can be trained to be passable guard dpgs. they must be on the boat as puppies tp get comfortable with a moving horizon.

Tags
paracelle