Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-11-2013, 21:32   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Boat Dog Breeds

Bridget is adorable! Sorry about IzzyB, she looks like she was a character. But the beer stealing, that's a gutsy move, shows true courage

Scupper will drink my morning cup of tea in a heart beat if I leave it unattended.

Old 30-11-2013, 08:45   #92

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

I was thinking about a dog on board or cat. saw this thread

Are scratches from claws an issue on deck?
Which dogs bark a lot? (quick way to get kicked out of moorings)
Where/how to let them void thier bowels on board?
Would a dog or cat be better on board?

Any sugestions would be great. I am really not wanting a barker as a lot of mooring have that as a clause to make you vacate

Old 30-11-2013, 08:59   #93

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
No greater companion. Her greatest joy in life is being with me even when I'm replacing the duckbill backflow preventer on the head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0546.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	71312
Old 30-11-2013, 09:13   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacmed View Post
I was thinking about a dog on board or cat. saw this thread

Are scratches from claws an issue on deck?
Which dogs bark a lot? (quick way to get kicked out of moorings)
Where/how to let them void thier bowels on board?
Would a dog or cat be better on board?

Any sugestions would be great. I am really not wanting a barker as a lot of mooring have that as a clause to make you vacate
I'm not a cat person but I think a cat would be better on a boat for the following reasons:
  1. No problem using a litter box inside the cabin. Taking a dog ashore (or even to the foredeck) can be problematic in some weather, and offshore.
  2. No barking.
  3. Small size (smaller dogs tend to bark more)
  4. Cats are more agile and sure-footed.
  5. More independent-minded. Dogs are more difficult to leave for a whole day (or longer) and they need their owners around to be happy. Cats need adequate food and shelter, and are less emotionally attached to owners.
As for claws on deck -- scratches can be a problem with dogs, even if nails are kept short. Cats can also tear up upholstery and there are various ways to deal with this (scratching posts etc.).
Old 30-11-2013, 09:35   #95

Boat: O'day 27

Aboard we have a full male Boston Terrier he is extremely agile and good on his feet so we are not worried that me might fall overboard but just in case he has a life jacket, they also have webbed paws making them good swimmers though they prefer dry land.
Mostly on passage he is in the bunk under the covers sleeping and once in a while he'll wake up to use the bathroom but they are very easily trained so that is no issue.(mine likes to go off the bow) good dog lol. On chore they are great on and off leash as long as they know that you are in charge (be calm and assertive). Low energy and low exercise need dog breed but are fully capable to take on any activity you wish.
Old 04-12-2013, 22:14   #96

Boat: Catalina MKI 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
How does that old guy get up and down the companionway? He looks like a sweet pooch!
Whitley, she shoots up the stairs like a rocket (all clear 0 to 60 in 3 secs), even with a old broken wrist. She is the best boat dog that we could ask for, a true helper. Even helped Bud get in the bed last night by using her paw to pull him up.

Bud, now 13 and 65 lbs yellow lab, used to have strong legs to make it up the ladder on his own, but very recently needs some help going up and and can't see clearly to go down so he jumps from the second step. The cold (below 65) really bother his joints. They are really loving the warm spell right now, like puppies playing.

We all age and have issues, but now we have to figure out how to deal with his adversities.
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 22:32   #97
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Which dogs bark a lot? "
The smaller breeds tend to be more nervous and insecure and make a lot of noise. That's partly a matter of breed, partly the individual dog (neurotic), and VERY much a matter of training and conditioning. Plenty of dog training materials on the web or in print. While the small breeds tend to bark a lot, dog behavior is usually a people problem not a dog problem. Pretend you're trying to communicate with a heavily armed alien, and really work on the communications and trust. If you can master the concept of "I'm the master, you're the dog, we do what I say, period." then everything else becomes easy, and both parties get much happier.
Old 05-12-2013, 00:17   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Bridget is adorable! Sorry about IzzyB, she looks like she was a character. But the beer stealing, that's a gutsy move, shows true courage

Scupper will drink my morning cup of tea in a heart beat if I leave it unattended.

Thank you! I wouldn't be without her.
She's got about 300,000 miles on her now. Best companion I could ask for. She's very patient, and obedient (most of the time!). She does crowd in bed, though!
Her favorite people food is tacos. I make them, and she waits until we're done and gives me the patented 'Corgi Mind Meld' until you make her a doggie version. She's crushed if you forget, too.

Name:	DSCI0137.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	71566
Old 05-12-2013, 00:25   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpolar View Post

I hvvtge a seymour .. Think to live on boat is too hot for it.
I have a seymour too... Just wonder after he swings in sea water. How his fur will be ?
Old 09-01-2014, 15:52   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

This is Lola, a Yorkie. She was free, a friend found her running around without a collar cold and dirty and gave her to me. Yorkies are fantastic because they are very portable, like to sleep most of the day, require little food (a small bag lasts a month,) don't take up much space and best of all- almost no shedding of their hypoallergenic fur. Seriously if you keep one it is hard to ever find a hair anywhere.

She wears an XXS Outward Hound life preserver when she is not lounging in the V berth area. Some Yorkies are barkers and excessive lickers, but not Lola. The only time she barks a little is when a doorbell rings on the television, which fools her every time. Maybe not too smart? It is pretty easy to sneak Lola into a hotel that won't accept pets by carrying her in like a football with a coat draped over her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_dec7349.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	73629  
Old 09-01-2014, 16:20   #101
adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
My wife and I have been together for ten years and I think its time for us to get serious.

Guys, we need a boat dog.

I need to hear from folks who own boat dogs. We are looking for a mellow breed or breeds (mutts need love too!) who can hang out and cuddle but still be a spaz when the time comes to go ashore. I'm thinking French Bull Dog, beagle/basset mix, dachsund, or Westie. I'm also interested in the hair vs fur debate. Dogs that don't shed can be a real plus! Anyone out there have a successful pooch living on their boat with them?
Portuguese Water Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

She is beautiful plus I bet there are all sorts of nooks on the boat she can curl up in.
Old 10-01-2014, 21:33   #103

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On
Boat Dog Breeds

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1389414693.762003.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	73724
I will vote for the yorkie compact very intelligent and inexpensive dock security this is Baily on duty oh and she is full time live aboard no shedding
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 17:32   #104

Boat: 1974 Clipper Marine CM30

We've got a pair of Chinese Crested Dogs (yes, ugliest dog winners). They don't swim (unless they have to) they don't shed (hairless) and they keep you warm at night. Our female LOVES it, barks at every bird, fish, and boater we pass, and our male spends all his time below deck keeping the bed toasty for us.
Old 27-01-2014, 19:14   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyside View Post
Whitley, she shoots up the stairs like a rocket (all clear 0 to 60 in 3 secs), even with a old broken wrist. She is the best boat dog that we could ask for, a true helper. Even helped Bud get in the bed last night by using her paw to pull him up.

Bud, now 13 and 65 lbs yellow lab, used to have strong legs to make it up the ladder on his own, but very recently needs some help going up and and can't see clearly to go down so he jumps from the second step. The cold (below 65) really bother his joints. They are really loving the warm spell right now, like puppies playing.

We all age and have issues, but now we have to figure out how to deal with his adversities.
I have no affiliation with this company, but if you have an open mind and are against pharmies: Canna-Pet? Medical Cannabis for Dogs and Cats From Hemp, Not 'Marijuana'

My vet's pooch is on this for arthritis and pain management.

As a general aside, if you have a dog or are considering getting one, please don't be an anti-social dog owner!! Socialize! My dog likes being a dog around other dogs

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: