Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2013, 10:04   #61

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Boat Dog Breeds

Most places a better deterrent than a gun. And less hassle with the Officials.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35   #62

I finally got home, I found that I have only 2 photos of "Smoke" when we first got him. Smoke is now 6 months old and still the smartest dog on the planet. He has lost a lot of the white guard hairs. He now has skills with herding a basket ball and frisbee retrieval. He was a tad unsure about me when I first got home, but now I am back in the pack. Anyway, I have some more photos later for his new size at 6 months. Leash training starts in earnest this weekend. Smoke's size is right for our boat, though he is high energy, so I don't know how the boat will suit him. We will find out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke 001.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	68204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke 002.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	68205  

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25   #63

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I have a black lab mix that does very well on board but shedding is a serious mess. Labs shed like crazy and I often wonder where it all comes from since she gets brushed daily.

I think the temperament of the dog is far more important than the breed. Many labs bounce off the walls 24/7 but not all. I got lucky. She creates tumbleweeds of fur everywhere but besides that she is awesome. Oddly she isn't a fan of water either. I think if I was researching this I may look into a petite labradoodle for low shed possibilities. There are many others though. The shedding is a PITA but I wouldn't trade my current dog for anything.
SC
You're correct when you say temperament is important. Size counts too. The first thought of most people is to find a waterdog. They have the webbed feet and some (labs) have extra body fat that makes them float like buoys. Unfortunately, labs are large, and so extra money must be spent on "equipment". I think a smaller dog is more practical, but I didn't go with practical. Hutch is just so much more to grab onto (and hug!) He's like another person (weighs more than any of my adult daughters)

I found my dogs at the animal shelter. Go there and see hundreds of eyes, all begging you to take them home. Eighty percent (on average) die there. Heartbreaking.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:07   #64

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
You're correct when you say temperament is important. Size counts too. The first thought of most people is to find a waterdog. They have the webbed feet and some (labs) have extra body fat that makes them float like buoys. Unfortunately, labs are large, and so extra money must be spent on "equipment". I think a smaller dog is more practical, but I didn't go with practical. Hutch is just so much more to grab onto (and hug!) He's like another person (weighs more than any of my adult daughters) I found my dogs at the animal shelter. Go there and see hundreds of eyes, all begging you to take them home. Eighty percent (on average) die there. Heartbreaking.
I wholeheartedly concur on the shelter aspect. My nearly perfect dog came to me from a shelter. I think the figure is actually a bit higher than 80% sadly in many areas of the US. Every animal that escapes is a lucky critter. I could go into a long post but will keep it at that. It's a sad topic that doesn't apply to sailing but every rescued critter that lands in a loving family boat or not is very lucky.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I wholeheartedly concur on the shelter aspect. My nearly perfect dog came to me from a shelter. I think the figure is actually a bit higher than 80% sadly in many areas of the US. Every animal that escapes is a lucky critter. I could go into a long post but will keep it at that. It's a sad topic that doesn't apply to sailing but every rescued critter that lands in a loving family boat or not is very lucky. SC
Hate to be that guy and divert this thread any further, buy my family and I have adopted numerous shelter dogs and puppies throughout the years from half a dozen states (and even when we lived in Japan and England). We ran into serious and severe emotional issues with each and every single one. When we decided on our boat dog, we decided on a black lab for obvious reasons. We then decided to get an AKC pure bred from a reputable breeder. This is the greatest dog either of us have ever had, and don't regret our decision to stay away from shelters for a single moment.

If you have the time, energy, emotional stamina and budget for a shelter dog, then go for it. Unfortunately, very very few people actually have everything it takes to cope with a shelter dog.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25   #66

My Wife and I have adopted several dogs from the shelter, and rescued two adult Rottweilers, and they have all had emotional and medical issues to resolve. Selfishly this time we opted for a clean slate, will be the last dog we ever have.
Old 05-10-2013, 19:23   #67

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We are still considering a small dog as before, and every cat we've had has either come from a shelter or was a stray who showed up at our doorstep.

Thomas is getting old and creaky, but came to us at 2 am during a 6o knot wind and rainstorm when he was a year or so old.
He has been a wonderful cat, and every time a big storm hits, Thomas shows his appreciation for having a home.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 21:08   #68

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Sounds like you might have had a run of bad luck with your shelter dogs. Ours is the sweetest, calmest, friendliest, healthiest dog I've ever had, and we bred weimaraners when I was a kid so I've lived with literally dozens of dogs. But then maybe we just won the jackpot with Peanut.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:05   #69

Boat: Catalina 34
I got my dog from a breeder, but I know many people who have adopted from a shelter, and have gotten wonderful dogs. I would have know reservations about it for my next dog (which hopefully won't be for many years). There are also rescue organizations (often breed specific) that place dogs in foster homes until a permanent home can be found. I have fostered two Siberian Huskies in the last few years and both were great dogs.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:07   #70
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

i personally have had good and bed from a shelter.
i had one dog, that was great, very friendly, loved people.
dog number two had a hidden seizure problem. gandmal style.
so my next two dogs that i own now, are pure labs. no more roulette for me.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53   #71

Boat: Lagoon 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
We have two cats, but when one of them goes my wife wants a small boat dog.
I'm not thrilled with the idea and have mandated that whatever dog comes along has GOT to be trained to use the box.
We know it's been done as we had friends on a 40' Passport who had a Bichon.
That dog knew what to do in a cat box with shredded newspaper.

Have any of you been that fortunate?
Don't need no stinking box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-2-06 008.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	68253  
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35   #72

If you are really smart, you can teach your dog to crap over the side, no fuss, no muss. As far as rescue dogs go, they have been mostly good. We had one 6 yr old Rotty that had a prostate problem when we got him and immediately had to take him ot the vet and get him neutered. He was the love of our lives, big 200 lber, we had him 6 years before he died of cancer, but we were taking him to the vet every 2 months for one problem or another, it was heart breaking to lose him.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:55   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Yep, the shedding is my wife's biggest complaint but it is a small price to pay for the bond between dog and crew
I sure hope you're speaking for your wife as well. For some, twice a day vacuuming gets old, and it requires lots of spare bags. How do you guys share the cleanup jobs? Or do you just put up with the hair and expect visitors to do likewise?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
My wife and I have been together for ten years and I think its time for us to get serious.

Guys, we need a boat dog.

I need to hear from folks who own boat dogs. We are looking for a mellow breed or breeds (mutts need love too!) who can hang out and cuddle but still be a spaz when the time comes to go ashore. I'm thinking French Bull Dog, beagle/basset mix, dachsund, or Westie. I'm also interested in the hair vs fur debate. Dogs that don't shed can be a real plus! Anyone out there have a successful pooch living on their boat with them?

NOT a German Shepherd Dog unless it's a really really big boat.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12   #75

Not big on the whole living with the hair thing. We keep him brushed out and keep things vacuumed up.

Tags
paracelle