Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 17:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Bikes Aboard . . . Again

I just downgraded to one of those mini folding bikes. Yeah...I know, those of you who remember my bike thread from a year ago, say you told me so. Actually the full size folder fit aboard. It was transporting it in the dink that was the deal breaker.

Anyway, those of you who use bikes as your primary means of shore transportation. AKA: grocery runs, etc. Specifically those of you who ride a mini, do you have panniers on your bike? If not how do you go about carrying all those supplies?

I have a really nice set of panniers, that unfortunately are too big for the little bike. So, I'm debating downgrading to a smaller set vs. just strapping a big bag, box, milk crate, etc to the top of the rack
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 17:35   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I fitted a conventional bike rack (some minor mods) to the stern rail of my PDQ, which makes carrying full size bikes a breeze. Boat specific, I guess, and best on cats.

I'll post something this weekend.
Old 14-07-2010, 17:40   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
funny. I just read that old thread, and I was one of the ones urging you to stand your ground and not downgrade to a folder. One of the few.

Sigh.

I use a backpack, for what it's worth, 'cause my bike's too pretty to be fitted with a rack. At least you don't have THAT problem.
Old 14-07-2010, 17:45   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I don't recommend backpacks while riding because it really adds a lot of weight to your seat and the bike's seat. After a while you'll feel the discomfort. They are ok for short distances but after about half an hour they become painful.
kind regards,
Old 14-07-2010, 17:52   #5

I find it easier to get a lift when walking with full shopping bags. I still am undecided if I will put a bike on board.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 18:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
funny. I just read that old thread, and I was one of the ones urging you to stand your ground and not downgrade to a folder. One of the few.

Sigh.

I use a backpack, for what it's worth, 'cause my bike's too pretty to be fitted with a rack. At least you don't have THAT problem.
It killed me, getting rid of that carbon roadie But I got a bag for it, and it sat in my trunk all summer...except for when I did Livestrong. I figured if I didn't want to deal with taking it out of a bag and putting the wheels on to go for a ride, there's no way I'd be inclined to haul it to shore in the dink and do the same.

On the bright side, downgrading from full size to mini foldy hurt much less.

You believe I actually rigged a custom mount to get a frame on that roadie, that woudn't hurt the finish.

I guess it just means I'll have to swing back the other way again. Where cycling becomes secondary, and I start diving me butt off again. Guess that's just kind of a natural thing being on a boat.
Old 14-07-2010, 18:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I fitted a conventional bike rack (some minor mods) to the stern rail of my PDQ, which makes carrying full size bikes a breeze. Boat specific, I guess, and best on cats.

I'll post something this weekend.
My problem wasn't storing them aboard. I probably could have done the same if I kept my good bikes. But even that full size folding bike took up so much space in the dink, with just me, that I could barely even sit on the bench.
Old 14-07-2010, 18:43   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
20" or 16" wheels?

Will "any old" set of 6 speed gears work OK for moderate riding? Just cruising around town and moderate rides to nearby sightseeing...

I've been looking at the Gavin from road bike outlet.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 18:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

20" I went with the Dahon Mariner. I've heard the 16" really don't ride great. Just too small. So much so that a lot of those models, are being discontinued. At leas the ones Dahon makes.
Old 14-07-2010, 19:22   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
BikeFriday. A folding bike for serious cyclists and old duffers like me. I've got a norm set of panniers on mine and have managed to provision the boat and carry all sorts of boat gear, even a gallon of bottom paint. bikefriday.com
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 06:01   #11
Marine Service Provider

But I already have the Dahon, and BikeFriday costs twice as much. Part of the problem is that I have pretty big panniers. They're even called the "Large" Mountain Pannier. These things are so big, that I can load them up enough to even make a full size bike pretty unstable from the load. I guess I just need a smaller set.
Old 15-07-2010, 06:57   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Grunster,
I went throu the same delima, and hated to put my "Masi" on the shelf when we went cruising, And then I had to chose between the road bike or the fixed gear...
But I bought a Dahon, marine as you.. actually bought two, one for myself and one for the wife.. Very disapointed in the quality and the ride but used them anyway.
Because of my touring days, I also had the panniers kicking around the house, in various sizes and wanted to adapte them to the bike.. did so by using a set of the older "blackburn" front racks, the set that bolts directly to the fork, and built a couple homemade brackets made of "plumers tape" and attached them to the small rear rack and tied down the bottom with cord.. it worked quite well..
They do make an upright bag that fits the rear of the bike setting on the rack but I wasnt inpressed..
We kept them on the boat for a couple years but found while cruising, we didnt use them as much as we figured.. so sold them..
Even thou you dont have a "Friday" you might check out the rack and bag set-up they have, might get a couple ideas from them.
another option is one of those removable baskets that fit on the front.. the brackets are universal and the basket comes off and has a handle to carry it around the store.. Our biggest issue when buying stores and using the bikes was buying to much and not having a place to put it once outside the store...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 08:53   #13
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have a really cool bike. It's not a brand I can find online - made in Taiwan, and seemingly unique. Got a big gap between the seat and the thing that normally holds the seat up - I'm sure you know thet type I mean.

Anyway, don't people just take off the seats, handlebars and wheels and stick em in that big hole under the seat (next to the engine)... Darn I forget the name for it... Sounds French, I think.... oh yes, the lazarette......
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 08:55   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Our biggest issue when buying stores and using the bikes was buying to much and not having a place to put it once outside the store...
When using a bike to do the shopping, I stick to a basket in the store, that way the groceries always fit into my backpack (just a day pack size...) and it keeps the bill down too!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 09:46   #15

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I use one of those medium sized duffle bags with handles on both ends and hang the bag across the handle bars over the front wheel. I can carry up to 50 lbs of supplies that way. Put all the heavy stuff in the duffle and the light or fragile stuff in a backpack.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote