Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-08-2012, 18:16   #181
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Bikers on Board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Your bike is not a crotch rocket? Your insurance company lists the class of your bike as a sport bike. In other words, crotch rocket.

This biker forum says your bike is often times seen as a crotch rocket Crotch Rocket - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums People that ride them, in that forum, call it that, or are used to it being called that. Get used to it, I guess.

I have lots of friends that ride bikes like yours. Well, not close friends. lol
That's hilarious. This link is to a thread on Stromtroopers where Wee Strom (DL 650) owners are bitching about idiots who percieve the V-Strom as a "crotch rocket"! Guess he didn't actually read it...

Old 25-08-2012, 19:26   #182

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I must admit that is a far out looking bike.

I designed the look myself. I purchased an off the shelf Big Brute, that made a limited number of V8's over several years. I think the total was somewhere in the low teens. Mine was #3 (oddly enough, as the production numbers got higher, the quality went down. ) (The last few bikes were delivered not working is what the reports are )

The designer had several world records for speed with top fuel dragsters. He wanted to have a go at motorcycles.

I hated the look of the bike as I began to really look at it over the years. Purchased it in 2000. The performance numbers and design was top notch, but the look was bloated.

I changed almost everything on the bike that affected the looks. Fenders, seat, bars, tank, fiberglass that hid things like transmission and radiator. O yes, exhaust system. I eliminated it!

Changing the seat, I was able to dramatically lower the seat height. Lowers the center of gravity, helps with cornering, stability.

I changed the intake from one four barrel, to two, four barrels, and added a shotgun scoop. Changed the timing chain, to gears, changed the oil pump, fuel pump, oil pan, lots of things all over the motorcycle. Brake lights, turn signals. Very few things remain from the original design, except the frame, transmission and ZZ4 Crate Engine.

The manufacturer listed his bike as having a top speed at 258 MPH.

While I have never been at that speed, lets just say, it was tested against the best bikes and riders in my area, and everybody knows who the fastest motorcycle in town is. It also broke a dyno rated at 500 HP at 189 MPH.

Here is how it used to look when I first got it. Also run from the broken dyno.

The bike as she sits, makes me smile. Don't even have to fire her up. Just look at her, and a grin forms. She is on display in my art studio.

I also designed my daily driver. F-550 Dayna 80 power-train, 24.5 Alcoa Semi Wheels, on Michelin Low Pro tires. 6.0 rebuilt to make it a good engine Dual stainless steel 5" exhaust from header to tailpipes.

For the folks that dislike engine sounds, you should hear this puppy opened up. Sounds like a jet plane taking off.

Kidnapper is on a 1,200 pound slide, that extends the bed double. If I need it, my 6' bed doubles to a 12' bed with the flick and a pull of a lever.

My design idea, was build a Hummer SUT as if Ford had gotten the contract. I owned a Hummer 4 months, but sold it as it was just too small for a 6'7" man.

My daily driver is also very much a one of a kind.

Like my sailboats, I pick stuff, or modify it, so I have one of a kind rides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46t545t6237ytr5y5ui644j7gh3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	45571   Click image for larger version

Name:	joyCameraImage.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	45572  

Name:	rteyue5uu5e.jpg
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	45573   Click image for larger version

Name:	tjhryijktue97989.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	45574  

Old 25-08-2012, 19:50   #183

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Garymayo,

Does your bike handle well in the Twisties, Or is it similar to a Harley in the Twisties,
It looks good, I like it,
Old 25-08-2012, 21:14   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Garymayo,

Does your bike handle well in the Twisties, Or is it similar to a Harley in the Twisties,
It looks good, I like it,
When I ride, I am ALWAYS (ALWAYS) looking for an exit in any suituation I come into. If I cannot find one, I slow down to a point, if the S#!t hits the fan, I should be OK.

Hitting a corner at speed, is something I rarely do.

I would like to put a tall tire / rim on the front, I think that looks best, but handling really suffers when you mix rim heights at speed.

One night 12 of us went out and back, and the whole evening, I was left behind in the curves, and easily regained my spot (last, where I wanted to be) I don't reust crotch rockets with kids on them.

At the end of the evening, it was down to 100 miles traveled, and 9 riders.

I opened her up, and waited for all 8 bikes not so far down the road, about a mile.
Old 25-08-2012, 21:32   #185

I am a lead foot, Been riding a long time, I do ride quick through corners and the Twisties,
I am totally invisible to car drivers and thats the way I ride, I think for them.

Went on one ride, 70 bikes of all kinds started, 60 finished, 6 were tow truck jobs,
They try to ride above their capabilitys and then wonder why they are trashed in the bushes,
Old 27-08-2012, 22:42   #186

I live in a pretty large community. College town. We have a large sport rider gene pool. Every year, someone that thought he could never get hurt on a motorcycle, dies. Usually the road barriers that are meant to keep cars out of the ditch, does a pretty good job of keeping about half the rider and or his motorcycle on the road. The other half, arms, legs, head, spleen, kidneys, internal stuff, manages to get past the barrier, like a vegetable dropped into a blender. If they have no ID, they figure out the identity from numbers on the engine block. No figuring out who they were by looking at them, in most cases.

When ridding, when the S#!t hits the fan, the bike uses its mass to continue in a straight line. If you blow a tire, hit a roof shingle, anything, and you are on a curve, no amount of skill, or wishing to be superman, will help you. You hit what you hit, and it is a crap shoot to see just how bad it is when everything stops moving.

I ride less and less, because there are more and more people driving worse and worse all the time.

Here are some examples of stuff that almost never happens when you are sailing.

Old 27-08-2012, 23:51   #187

Moral of the story, Always keep your camera on video and never turn it off, If you want to catch all the action,
Old 28-08-2012, 03:28   #188

There is a video where a car is on top of a biker. Accident scene. Car is on fire in the engine compartment. Crowd gathers. The people, pushed on by a skinny girl, lifts the car off the biker and they pull him out all speed out, like he was doing jumping jacks. The memorable part was when they pulled him out, he had one foot / boot on fire. The guy was stiff as a board and not moving.

Each and every time I ride, I try to leave myself outs, so if I need a second or third lane, I have that available. Because of my fears, I no doubt ride less. The V8, out three times this year. Did not use it at all last year. The Wing also is stored most of the time.

My wife and Maltese rides in the sidecar and the 8 pound creature loves being in the wind. He likes biking better than sailing. Dog seems to be anxious to get off the boat and get in the sidecar. He has not seen the you tube videos. Lol
Old 28-08-2012, 06:36   #189

My mate was telling me about a car crash in the Adelaide hills.
The crowd gathered round, The car started to burn and the crowd stood there and did nothing as the bloke inside got burnt to death,

He said they could of got him out before the fire spread to the rest of the car,

My mate wasnt there, but got the story from some one that was there,

I have come across accidents and the crowd just stand there and do nothing, and then try to stop me when I do some thing,

One bloke, I put in my car and was taking him to hospital, a good 30 miles away,
From way out in the sticks, This arsehole would not move his car out of the way,
I said move it or I shunt it off the road, My Big car, V8 and My bull bar on the front, He moved it, Met the ambulance 15 miles from the accident,

They piss me off and get me extremely wild when they wont do any thing to help, Mr B, 3, Is not a person to argue with,
Old 30-11-2012, 18:52   #190

Here is my therapy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Street Glide.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	50525  
Old 30-11-2012, 19:22   #191

Nice paint job/
Old 30-11-2012, 19:22   #192

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

Me and My Ride
Old 30-11-2012, 19:26   #193

Nice ride ! Love the apes.
Old 01-12-2012, 00:55   #194

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Here's another Bro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Redwood Run 2010 009.jpg
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	50531   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-10 004.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	50532  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:05   #195

Boat: too many

Me back in '81

Now, for transporting in the dinghy, good for 45 mph and 6.5 mile range (90 year old dad and 30 something nephew)

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: