Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2012, 08:44   #166
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Cal 34, 1984 Catalina 22, 1987 Sanibel 18, 1968 Tanzer 16, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Bikers on Board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Your posts show more ego than my exhaust system. lol

All the dumb things I see crotch rockets doing, makes the noise made by responsible riders seem pretty acceptable.

So as you ride along on a crotch rocket, how about I lump all the stupid wheel tricks I see, in your lap, and blame it all on you? You seem to like blanket statements.
I don't follow this argument. I would like to see any evidence that noise keeps wildlife away or does anything other than frighten or confuse them. For safety, I try not to rely on anecdotal information or Candide thinking. Several years ago I was at VIR, a racetrack with a fence, at midday, following a BMW on the main straightaway. A deer somehow entered the track, ran across a field directly toward VERY loud race cars, crossed the race track and was obliterated by the BMW, which sustained minor dents and was covered in fur and blood. The driver never saw the deer coming and barely felt the impact due to his harness. Good luck with this loud pipes plan you have, it only takes being wrong once. Also, it seems odd/excessively angry to ridicule others for a behavior (being rude for example, or calling names) when someone might suggest you are exhibiting the same behavior. Everyone needs to take a chill.

Old 22-08-2012, 09:04   #167
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Your posts show more ego than my exhaust system. lol

All the dumb things I see crotch rockets doing, makes the noise made by responsible riders seem pretty acceptable.

So as you ride along on a crotch rocket, how about I lump all the stupid wheel tricks I see, in your lap, and blame it all on you? You seem to like blanket statements.
How is a V-Strom a "crotch rocket"?! It's a dual sport, you clearly don't know your bikes. I guess you could accuse me of doing dirt bike tricks on the road or something, it would be about as accurrate. Loud pipes are loud pipes. If you have them it's not about safety. A deer whistle costs $3 and works better for that for animals, and your horn is enough for people.

Old 22-08-2012, 23:08   #168

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
How is a V-Strom a "crotch rocket"?! It's a dual sport, you clearly don't know your bikes. I guess you could accuse me of doing dirt bike tricks on the road or something, it would be about as accurrate. Loud pipes are loud pipes. If you have them it's not about safety. A deer whistle costs $3 and works better for that for animals, and your horn is enough for people.
Deer whistles are proven to not work. Some states do not allow the sale of them, because they are a gimmick. Only good for catching bugs. Do you get all your cycle accessories and safety equipment at the dollar stores?

Your bike is not a crotch rocket? Your insurance company lists the class of your bike as a sport bike. In other words, crotch rocket.

This biker forum says your bike is often times seen as a crotch rocket http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...-rocket-2.html People that ride them, in that forum, call it that, or are used to it being called that. Get used to it, I guess.

I have lots of friends that ride bikes like yours. Well, not close friends. lol

I don't make fun of people that sail any brand of sailboat, or ride any brand of cycle, but I do make fun of people that talk down to others, so it has been fun. Ignore lists are wonderful.
Old 22-08-2012, 23:25   #169

I started this thread about the joys of biking, along with the joys of sailing. Somehow, it has turned into a decibel debate. How did we manage to get there?

Another reason I like my sailboat, is the refrig / freezer in the galley. None of those buzz words on a motorcycle, unless you get one of these accessories to move your motorcycle around in, like I did.

After decades of sun, snow, rain, hail, sleet, sandstorms, lightning, wind, bugs, humidity, sometimes, all in a single day, I decided to spend the second half of my life a little more comfortable.

Hope the exhaust of the toter home is quiet enough for everyone! lol

Sturgis Rally a couple years ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g2r_ri3f.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	45414  
Old 22-08-2012, 23:41   #170

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I rode Triumphs, Nortons, and BSA's and then some Honda's,Nighthawk,and Goldwing,,,last Bike was a Three Wheeler "TriMagnum" V65 Magna.

I rode through Summers,Winters,Falls, Ice Snow, Dry, Wet, it didnt matter to me, i loved it all, until Arthritis got my hands.
Most of my friends thought i was Plum Crazy for riding through it all, they used to call me "The Mad Murr" ahhhhh sweet memories,,,,maybe i should get another bike... ,,,nahhhhhhh!!! it wouldn't float so good...hahahaha

http://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 00:06   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
I rode Triumphs, Nortons, and BSA's and then some Honda's,Nighthawk,and Goldwing,,,last Bike was a Three Wheeler "TriMagnum" V65 Magna.

I rode through Summers,Winters,Falls, Ice Snow, Dry, Wet, it didnt matter to me, i loved it all, until Arthritis got my hands.
Most of my friends thought i was Plum Crazy for riding through it all, they used to call me "The Mad Murr" ahhhhh sweet memories,,,,maybe i should get another bike... ,,,nahhhhhhh!!! it wouldn't float so good...hahahaha

You mentioned three wheelers. I own a GoldWing with a sidecar, but the bike I think is pretty sweet three wheeler, is the Can Am Spider

Love to ride one. Bit of a sport bike for seating. I like to sit with my legs out front, so I don't think it would work for me. Two wheels up front, makes a very stable platform.
Old 23-08-2012, 00:24   #172

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Hi Gary,
This was my Three Wheeler, VW front Axle, full frame, and Full Motorcycle in the rear. 45minute change over to Two wheels again.

Those Can Ams are pretty sweet though.

Quote:
You mentioned three wheelers. I own a GoldWing with a sidecar, but the bike I think is pretty sweet three wheeler, is the Can Am Spider

Love to ride one. Bit of a sport bike for seating. I like to sit with my legs out front, so I don't think it would work for me. Two wheels up front, makes a very stable platform.

http://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 01:47   #173

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Hi Gary,
This was my Three Wheeler, VW front Axle, full frame, and Full Motorcycle in the rear. 45minute change over to Two wheels again.

Those Can Ams are pretty sweet though.

Have you got more piccys of that one, especially when its back to two wheels, thats a very interesting concept,

I personally dont like the Can am, Too much like a 3 wheeled car,
Old 23-08-2012, 01:54   #174

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

My Gemini is too small to take a decent bike of any size, Unfortunately,

But when I finish my sailing, I will be moving to a 40 foot mobile home with a trailer,
The trailer will carry my car and both bikes, A Jeep Patriot, Honda Blackbird 1100XX and a Kwaka ZR7 750 for the Lady,

I also have ridden in every kind of weather, Including the arse end of a Cyclone,
10 inches of rain per hour for 10 hours straight, I had to start work the next day, Yes, I did make it,
Old 23-08-2012, 16:32   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
I started this thread about the joys of biking, along with the joys of sailing. Somehow, it has turned into a decibel debate. How did we manage to get there?

I have lost some joys of biking if I am around loud bikes. It's irritating. I am also grouped by others that don't like loud bikes as "one of those" even though I don't irritate them with loud noises. It's irritating.

And I really think part of it was because some (yep, me too) wanted to let you know how they felt about the noise. They also know it does not do what you said with people, which was the earlier part of it all. (the deer did not come up till later, much later) (need to see data saying alternatives don't work)

You basically said Fu%k you.

So we all now know where we stand.

Some on one side of a fence being irritated and some are on the other side doing the irritating.

LOL
Old 23-08-2012, 17:06   #176

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

GaryMayo I see you are from Lincoln. We have a manufacturing plant west of you. Sometimes I will ride out from the West Coast. When I do you will find my bike outside of Hunters if that gives you a hint.
Old 23-08-2012, 17:18   #177

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
At Virginia International Raceway a few years ago, after my Harley phase which was after my dirt bike phase during which I broke a rib jumping a double.

Now the bike is relegated to "cheap transportation" and fits my minimalist lifestyle just as well as it used to fit my conspicuous consumer lifestyle.

Yamaha R1, 180HP, about 400 pounds. The only machine I have ever owned that had sufficient HP.
Was that you Blowing by me last Oct heading S down 17,My R 1200 stood still for a moment
Old 24-08-2012, 14:23   #178

Cool! I've had a bunch of bikes. Currently and probably lastly ending up with my 05 Vulcan Classic, 1600 and my Honda Transalp, a V twin dual sport, an 89 with 10200 miles on it! The Transalp is what I wanted to put on my boat and was trying to find one that would work....looks like the boat has to be built for that! Oh, under 30' before someone suggests a 50' something or other...lol
Old 24-08-2012, 16:46   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I have lost some joys of biking if I am around loud bikes. It's irritating. I am also grouped by others that don't like loud bikes as "one of those" even though I don't irritate them with loud noises. It's irritating.

And I really think part of it was because some (yep, me too) wanted to let you know how they felt about the noise. They also know it does not do what you said with people, which was the earlier part of it all. (the deer did not come up till later, much later) (need to see data saying alternatives don't work)

You basically said Fu%k you.

So we all now know where we stand.

Some on one side of a fence being irritated and some are on the other side doing the irritating.

LOL
A V twin Harley with short open pipes sounds like a death march straight to hell.

Why anyone here thinks I am in favor of lawlessness, is beyond me?

If your bike is loud, and it is within local legal limits in your area, I am all in favor of the extra sounds to keep everyone apprised of a bikes location. Something small, quick, and silent, can be a deadly combo.

If your bike is louder than the limits set by authorities in your area, that is breaking the law.

I posted the sound of my bike, way under any limits.

Old 25-08-2012, 18:07   #180
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
A V twin Harley with short open pipes sounds like a death march straight to hell.

Why anyone here thinks I am in favor of lawlessness, is beyond me?

If your bike is loud, and it is within local legal limits in your area, I am all in favor of the extra sounds to keep everyone apprised of a bikes location. Something small, quick, and silent, can be a deadly combo.

If your bike is louder than the limits set by authorities in your area, that is breaking the law.

I posted the sound of my bike, way under any limits.

I must admit that is a far out looking bike.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: