Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 14:59   #151

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: Bikers on Board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post

Now the bike is relegated to "cheap transportation" and fits my minimalist lifestyle just as well as it used to fit my conspicuous consumer lifestyle.

Yamaha R1, 180HP, about 400 pounds. The only machine I have ever owned that had sufficient HP.
You have a nice bike, how are the handlebars with your wrists on a long trip?
Mine is only 110HP and takes 18seconds to 240 but it is a cruiser so nice and slow for me.

Not my bike just what it will do. If I did that in our Nanny state they would take the bike and licence and probably Jail time for dangerous driving, This is why I bought a sail boat I can go as fast as it will go, we dont have meany laws on that in our bay YET.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 18:21   #152

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Here's some piccys Of handle bars that dont give aches and pains on long trips.
Clips ons are good for the track, but on long trips, Unsuitable,

My Moped has 164 HP, I have seen a video of the same bike on the Autobahn, Where it got 300 KPH in 13 seconds, Not for me, I am a Geriatric,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handlebars for Geriatrics 3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	45077   Click image for larger version

Name:	handlebars for geriatrics 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	45078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle bars for geriatrics.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	45079  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 00:18   #153
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

I do a 730 mile trip (Ohio to NC) with only fuel stops, wearing a pretty heavy backpack without getting sore wrists. Guess I just have strong wrists

If you ride a sportbike like a horse, gripping the tank with your thighs and abdominals, it doesn't make you sore. Maybe your back if you are out of shape though. No way I would go back to 800 pounds, 53 HP and no wheelies.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 01:58   #154

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Loud pipes do save lives. Not so much from drugged Americans with headphones on, stereo blasting, texting away, windows up, AC cranked all the way up.

Where loud bikes helps is with wildlife. Given the choice of hitting a dear that does not see me, or turning one around in the ditch to go another way, I prefer the loud motorcycle. Hitting a dear in a car is an accident to get repaired. Hitting one on a motorcycle is a funeral call.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:45   #155
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Loud pipes do save lives. Not so much from drugged Americans with headphones on, stereo blasting, texting away, windows up, AC cranked all the way up.

Where loud bikes helps is with wildlife. Given the choice of hitting a dear that does not see me, or turning one around in the ditch to go another way, I prefer the loud motorcycle. Hitting a dear in a car is an accident to get repaired. Hitting one on a motorcycle is a funeral call.
I don't have any evidence for it, but after buying one of those high pitched whistle widgets for my bike to let deer know I am coming I was told they don't work and I tend to believe this as I had a huge buck run right in front of me after installing it, in the just after dusk time frame. Deer are dumb, not to mention a bit suicidal like squirrels. Now I either limit my riding during that time of day or slow down a lot especially in areas that don't have what we call in racing "good runoff" (like 40 in a 55 out in the country, takes the fun out of it somewhat.) Not to mention that it would only take a groundhog to take you out on a bike. There was a guy locally that went around a turn too fast to avoid a garbage can lid lying on the road which caused him to lose control and killed him. Riding a motorcycle is 15 times more likely per mile to kill you than a car although the death rate is highest during the first six months of ownership, the best preventive technique is to take a course and always keep SIPDE in your mind, practice swerving and to look in the direction of your escape route not in the direction of the threat. Further, I always keep at least a finger or two on my front brake lever and try not to get in the habit of only using my front brake but intentionally practice getting on the front and rears as quickly as I can. One of the most dangerous situations is a car coming from the other direction and making a left hand turn in front of you, this leaves a very narrow if any escape route.

The next time you are in a car or on your bike, see what you do when a car is on a side road and you think they might pull in front of you. If you look at their front tire or try to look at their face instead of looking where you are going to go (and slowing down) when they do pull out in front of you your eyes will take your vehicle right into their driver's door. Look at how many T-bone accidents there are at intersections (another dangerous place.) I'm not going to harp on helmets.

These are things I learned teaching road racing and defensive driving classes for years, take them to heart as they might save your life.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:40   #156
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

And a deer whistle is easy to disable when you aren't driving a country road at night, thus not requiring you to be a jackass 24/7. Much more reasonable solution to that problem, especially since the high pitched noise it makes is more audible to deer but far less annoying than ridiculous pipes for humans. Just another excuse for "look at me" pipes.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 09:54   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
And a deer whistle is easy to disable when you aren't driving a country road at night, thus not requiring you to be a jackass 24/7. Much more reasonable solution to that problem, especially since the high pitched noise it makes is more audible to deer but far less annoying than ridiculous pipes for humans. Just another excuse for "look at me" pipes.
Commercial member. You are here to attract business? Attract business with offencive opinionated posts? Let me know how that works out for you.

Do you ride? I am 55, started ridding in college. 400 thousand plus miles without an accident and I know dropping toilet tissue on the floor makes less sounds than dropping a drinking glass that breaks. Life is about learning and respect. The loud pipes that offend you are in your face by riders that show no respect to others. Don't blame me for bad karma of others. Loud pipes can be ridden showing respect to others.

Most of my ridding has been on Gold Wings, much quieter than the car you drive. Having both loud and quiet bikes, I can tell you which one is safer. Loud pipes is hands down better for the rider if the rider understands what it is he is doing. Loud pipes on a morons bike is not going to have any positive effects. Can't legislate intelligence.
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 10:20   #158

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

My bike a Suzuki 250 is relatively quiet. I notice loud pipes. My wife complains about them, says they hurt her ears. So she notices the loud pipes. So if the point is to be noticed, they serve their purpose.

The deer I see, run from me. I usually don't ride that much at night, so I don't know if they are running from me then.

When I was in the caribbean, I wanted to get one of those motorized skate boards to keep on the boat, but in Antigua they were charging 6K for them so I opted for a bicycle, $150 in Puerto Rico, Stolen in Clear Water FL.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 13:20   #159
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Well, I was trying to be nice, ha. Quite frankly I don't feel any less safe without my loud pipes- pipes which would make you seem ridiculous on a sportbike. The only place they might help is when you are overtaking another vehicle, but a little blip on the horn is much more friendly and again I think pipes are like 0.5% of the safety puzzle at best.

OTOH, I don't mind it when a rider employs an air horn (they sound like an 18 wheeler's horn) when someone is inching out toward merging onto a highway without looking or doing something else inconsiderate or dangerous. I used to have one and when you hit the horn the offending driver thinks they are about to be run over by a huge truck, jam on their brakes and spill their coffee on their laps. Good lesson for them.
Old 21-08-2012, 14:42   #160

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
The only place they might help is when you are overtaking another vehicle,
But they simply do not, in that instance.

Most of the sound is directed to the rear and one hears it after they are abeam or ahead.

I see (hear) this daily. I see them in the mirror before I ever hear them.

It hasn't changed in 30 years of riding and driving.
Old 21-08-2012, 14:45   #161
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Commercial member. You are here to attract business? Attract business with offencive opinionated posts? Let me know how that works out for you.

Do you ride? I am 55, started ridding in college. 400 thousand plus miles without an accident and I know dropping toilet tissue on the floor makes less sounds than dropping a drinking glass that breaks. Life is about learning and respect. The loud pipes that offend you are in your face by riders that show no respect to others. Don't blame me for bad karma of others. Loud pipes can be ridden showing respect to others.

Most of my ridding has been on Gold Wings, much quieter than the car you drive. Having both loud and quiet bikes, I can tell you which one is safer. Loud pipes is hands down better for the rider if the rider understands what it is he is doing. Loud pipes on a morons bike is not going to have any positive effects. Can't legislate intelligence.

Yes, I ride. Suzuki V-Strom DL1000. Being a V-Twin it's even just a little bit loud. And you're definitely right about one thing, loud pipes in your face show no respect. I'm not here to drum up business at all, and have never really understood why they made me a commercial member. Not sure what toilet tissue vs. drinking glass has to do with carefully designed safety noisemaker that can be shut off vs. something that obviously has nothing to do with safety but is all about the riders ego.
Old 21-08-2012, 14:48   #162
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, I was trying to be nice, ha. Quite frankly I don't feel any less safe without my loud pipes- pipes which would make you seem ridiculous on a sportbike. The only place they might help is when you are overtaking another vehicle, but a little blip on the horn is much more friendly and again I think pipes are like 0.5% of the safety puzzle at best.

OTOH, I don't mind it when a rider employs an air horn (they sound like an 18 wheeler's horn) when someone is inching out toward merging onto a highway without looking or doing something else inconsiderate or dangerous. I used to have one and when you hit the horn the offending driver thinks they are about to be run over by a huge truck, jam on their brakes and spill their coffee on their laps. Good lesson for them.

Now that is a polite and serviceable solution that gets the job done. A blip on the horn has always been enough for me as well, but an air horn holds a certain appeal. Then you can punish only those who deserve it instead of punishing everyone around you because of a risk you have chosen to take...
Old 21-08-2012, 17:15   #163

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74
If it is to loud you are to old.

Seriously I have no idea how many miles I have ridden in 33 years. My 01 had 250k on it when I traded it. All Harleys all with loud pipes. Anything that helps you get noticed on the bike helps keep you alive.

I am 6'4 280 pounds riding a 1000 pound moyorcycle. Over the years I have been hit three times by cars. Everytime the response was the same. "I didn't see him"

So excuse me if my loud pipes interupted your cell phone call. Sorry if the pipes startled you and you dropped your vente latte while texting and driving.
Amen, brother
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 18:30   #164

Quote:
Yes, I ride. Suzuki V-Strom DL1000. Being a V-Twin it's even just a little bit loud. And you're definitely right about one thing, loud pipes in your face show no respect. I'm not here to drum up business at all, and have never really understood why they made me a commercial member. Not sure what toilet tissue vs. drinking glass has to do with carefully designed safety noisemaker that can be shut off vs. something that obviously has nothing to do with safety but is all about the riders ego.
Your posts show more ego than my exhaust system. lol

All the dumb things I see crotch rockets doing, makes the noise made by responsible riders seem pretty acceptable.

So as you ride along on a crotch rocket, how about I lump all the stupid wheel tricks I see, in your lap, and blame it all on you? You seem to like blanket statements.
Old 21-08-2012, 18:37   #165

I ride in the county road with more accidents due to deer than any other street or highway in Nebraska, a pretty large state.

I spent about $500 to make my exhaust on my Gold Wing selectable from factory whisper quiet, to loud as hell, with the pull of a switch. The noise dumps out the bottom of the bike, and is loud in all directions.

In Church parking lots, shopping malls, I usually go quiet. At dusk, dawn or most anytime, on my deer highway, I go loud, drop a gear, and make plenty of noise so every creature hears me as I go safely along my business. At 55, I really do not want to have my first accident, and I do all I can think of to prevent getting myself, or anyone else hurt.