Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 08:32   #1

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau
Bicycling in the Bahamas

We are planning our first Bahama sailing adventure for this Fall (2012) and anticipate visiting the major ports from Lucaya to Georgetown as an overview of the islands. A number of "salty" cruisers have said "don't take bikes". But yet when I view video of many Bahamian towns, it would appear bicycles are an excellent vehicle to get around, shopping and touring the local streets...and many marinas/resorts rent bicyles. Our only prior experience was in Marathon where biking was the way we visited the local area, from West Marine, to the Publix, to the airport and restaurants.

Question: 1. Have you found bicycles advantageous while visiting Bahamian towns and villages?

Question: 2. Do most marinas/resorts have bike stands to secure the bike in lieu of dingying it back and forth from the boat?

Thanks,

Bill and Judy
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 08:51   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Bicycling in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
We are planning our first Bahama sailing adventure for this Fall (2012) and anticipate visiting the major ports from Lucaya to Georgetown as an overview of the islands. A number of "salty" cruisers have said "don't take bikes". But yet when I view video of many Bahamian towns, it would appear bicycles are an excellent vehicle to get around, shopping and touring the local streets...and many marinas/resorts rent bicyles. Our only prior experience was in Marathon where biking was the way we visited the local area, from West Marine, to the Publix, to the airport and restaurants.

Question: 1. Have you found bicycles advantageous while visiting Bahamian towns and villages?

Question: 2. Do most marinas/resorts have bike stands to secure the bike in lieu of dingying it back and forth from the boat?

Thanks,

Bill and Judy
I've used bikes in the Bahamas with no problem.

Obviously much more convenient when you are in a slip vs. anchor. Never tried to store them on-shore when at anchor, figure if I'm too cheap for a slip, I deserve to lug 'em back and forth.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I found having a bike in the Bahamas very helpful, at times. But hauling the bike around on the boat was a huge pain. Even a folding bike takes up a good bit of room and have lots of projections that tend to snag and hang up on things. Also will get rusty unless you wipe it down just about every day.

Have not seen bikes for rent except in the larger resort areas and even then not always at a location convenient for cruisers.

All things considered I would do it again.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 11:00   #4

cable it to a post or pole.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 11:33   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I thought about bikes on the circumnavigation, and we never took any. If the only place you are sailing to is the Bahamas, then it may not be that big of a deal. But offshore around the world, I didn't do it. Takes up too much room, and there is high probability of it being stolen if left on deck.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 12:55   #6

I started out with two expensive folding mountain bikes with bags. Those got sold and I got a cheap used dahon 20". It was priceless, especially in places like Ft Laudedale, Puerto Rico and Trinidad for doing boat work. Amazing how far and fast you can go on a bike on a hot day in lieu of walking.... even a small one. Forget your preconceptions about needing a fancy 13 speed bike. A simple one speed without handbrakes and problematic cables etc works great! Some of the best fun I had was tooling around on that old bike. Finally gave it to a Yard worker in Trini... he wanted it bad to get around the yards on!

Old 14-07-2012, 13:27   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't have any bikes right now ! we did have them on our Colvin but sold them with the boat. But I did notice that Camping World has folding bikes both 12 speed and 6 speed on sale right now at a real cheap price! for anyone looking for them ! (I don't have anything to do with this company! just get e-mails from them !)
Old 14-07-2012, 13:33   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I started out with two expensive folding mountain bikes with bags. Those got sold and I got a cheap used dahon 20". It was priceless, especially in places like Ft Laudedale, Puerto Rico and Trinidad for doing boat work. Amazing how far and fast you can go on a bike on a hot day in lieu of walking.... even a small one. Forget your preconceptions about needing a fancy 13 speed bike. A simple one speed without handbrakes and problematic cables etc works great! Some of the best fun I had was tooling around on that old bike. Finally gave it to a Yard worker in Trini... he wanted it bad to get around the yards on!
Same here. My old rusted junkers have provided me with hours of fun.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 07:39   #9

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

We took full-sized mountain bikes on our first Bahamas trip, and we didn't use them much in the Exumas because they were too difficult to take on our dinghy to shore. The last trip we had smaller, light, inexpensive folding bikes (WM Port Runners) we could fit with us on the dinghy. We used them a lot in Bimini, the Exumas the Berry's, Long Is. and Eleuthera (and lots on the trip up/down the ICW). They even did reasonably well on the nasty coarse coral roads, but I'd make sure to have a flat fix kit just in case. Lock it to anything you can, or run the lock through the front and back wheels otherwise, just to be safe, especially in Bimini, Nassau (we were too terrified of the traffic to ride much there!) and other bigger islands...I don't think you need to worry too much on the smaller islands. Have fun!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 10:21   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

My ex and I were frequent Bahamas visitors, started off carrying two bikes on board, ended up carrying none.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:30   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

My two Dahons are in my basement. Not needed in the Bahamas. Lots of buses in Nassau if you want to explore/sightsee. But in most places you can walk, also in Long Island or Georgetown if you have to go a ways the locals are more than willing to pick up hitchikers. A good dink is what you need in the Bahamas, leave the bikes at home unless you intend to spend all your time in a marina in one of the "big" centers.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:34   #12

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

I think you probably have the jist of it by now. Yes you can use them. We own fold up bikes but did not take them to the Bahamas. I think most places they aren't needed exactly, but can be useful. I think the issues are correctly stated above. A) where are you going to store them, and B) how are you going to get them to shore. If you have these issues sorted out, bring them along.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16   #13

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
cable it to a post or pole.
I did this in Clearwater FL, and came back the next morning to find it gone
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47   #14

Look on craigslist for any cheap bike. got beat up schwin stolen in atlantic city, they sawed through the fence post i was gone 15 min, the u lock was worth more then the bike. one stolen in miami, must have bike if u are not paying taxi fairs, I take off the wheels and stow in vee birth with a bag on chain, takes 5 min. If you have a kayak pull bike on tube behind, if you carry a dinge on back of your boat its peace o cake. Unless you want to walk or wait for busses all day. expect to loose bikes, but dont leave home without one anywere.
Shamus Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:00   #15

I guess they can ge stolen anywhere. I used my little dahon 20" folder everywhere from Lauderdale to Trini and had no issues. Maybe with a little rust here and there no one wanted it! an older 20" folder with pedal brakes is fine and cheap. No big loss if stolen....

Tags
Bahamas