Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 17:39   #16

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51
Re: Best recommendations on folding bikes

We have Schwinn Tango's. Not the best but very affordable and have performed well for us.

Only six speed so don't be in a rush. (new models are 7 speed) They are comfortable enough for a 45 km ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SchwinnTangodownload.png
Views:	148
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	191490  
Old 05-05-2019, 19:36   #17

We've had many bikes over our years of cruising and living aboard, including West Marine folding bikes and full-size Cannondale and Specialized. We found the large bikes to be a hassle to deal with - because you cannot store them inside and there are always bits that rust.

Finally, we decided that since bicycles are our primary land transportation we needed to invest in decent folding ones. Last year after a lot of research and test-driving, we got Bromptons and haven't looked back. The ride on a Brompton is surprisingly similar to a full-sized bike. They are easily converted into a shopping trolley with a Valeria's Barcelona basket which you can see in a couple of the photos; we also have luggage racks on the back for larger items. Fully folded, they fit into a suitcase for air travel.

Last summer in the US, we rode the Bromptons all over Colorado, Wyoming and Montana - even in the mountains (they were great for sneaking up on moose). Admittedly, they are not the lightest option, but they are built to last and we find them easy to get in and out of the dinghy and to store inside the boat.

Bromptons seem to have an almost cult-like following; we are starting to understand why. There is even a Brompton World Championship held in the UK each year in which the riders must compete in suits and ties!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8594.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	191494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9103.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	191495  

Name:	IMG_5184.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	191496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8621.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	191497  

Name:	IMG_3931.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	191498  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:19   #18

Boat: S2 11.0a

Brompton are some of the very best folding bikes on the market - they are light and fold the smallest. They don't come cheap, however.

There is a local bike shop in Ft Lauderdale Florida that only sells folding bikes! See https://www.twofoldbicycleshop.com/collections/brompton

Wippermann chains are some of the best from a corrosion perspective. I beleive they have stainless version ...
RobinScurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:39   #19

Boat: Ex owner Dufour Nautitech 475

If chose again it would be the same bought 2 normal mountain bikes quite cheaply, fortunately had space on my cat to store them below, just turned the handlebars 90 degrees used them all over the world and when I sold the cat after 12 years gave them to other grateful cruisers.
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:12   #20

I liked small bikes. Had both 24" and 18" and preferred the 18" by far. (kinda like Newhaul's Dahon shown above) Use a back pack instead of a basket as the basket is hard to store and makes the bike ungainly in crazy third world traffic. Just get an 18" with pedal brakes, the bikes with handle bar brakes and cables are not only problematic but hard to store.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:33   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have been using a Bike Friday New World Tourist off and on the boat for more than 10 years. Bike has 20" wheels but rides like a full sized touring bike and the 3 speed hub and 9 speed derailleur provides the gears to tackle almost any condition. Bike breaks down to fit in a suitcase which is where it lives in the forepeak under sail or traveling back and forth to the boat. Suitcase has a trailer kit that allows you to use it transport large but lightish stuff or as a commuter bike on the airlines. Frame is steel but it has held up well over the years. BF also makes a 16" wheeled bike called the PakIt that folds down to fit in a custom back pack and is very light if you need those benefits. BF's aren't cheap but miles ahead of any other folding bike I've ridden. Actually better than any bike I've owned as it's turned into the only one of the three bikes i own that i ride anymore. bikefriday.com
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:04   #22

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I had a Japanese one--worst bloody bike I ever owned. Gave it away in the finish to a boy who rode away on it. Glad to be rid of it.

I would pick fibreglass or carbon fibre with plastic wheels, preferably a cogged belt drive on to synthetic sprockets, and enclosed epicyclic gears. The salt air destroys bikes. Lotsa luck finding one.

Instead of a folding one, how about a quickly-put together dismantle-able one? That will solve a lot of problems in transport and assembly, and could be stashed in a waterproof container.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:05   #23

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

We have Birdy bikes. Fold small enough to fit in a dry bilge. One per hull. They are good to ride and have full suspension and not too heavy. They use standard components. I liked the Brompton but decided against them as they have many proprietary parts. They were the smallest fold volume I could find.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:46   #24

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Brompton, on board two boats over 25years, no rust, fold very small and ride very well....I even got a foldable (not from Brompton) pet cart that I tow behind with my dog, also good for large groceries
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:47   #25

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava

We have a pair of Downtubes. They have carbon belt drive rather than chain, internal hub gears, and are aluminum frames and stainless spokes. They fold easily and the ride is stable.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 06:49   #26

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

We like our Montague Swiss bikes
Bulkier than others but they are real, decent quality mountain bikes with full size wheels
We do a lot more distance than the tiny wheel ones.
One advantage in their bulk is that it prevents us from putting too much weight in the lazaret
As others have said, it depends on your needs and available space
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:11   #27

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

We use a couple of relatively cheap Citizen folders; they work and are great for visiting and provisioning ashore, but keeping the tires in good shape is a problem. We're having them serviced right now before heading out again.

I've had zero problems with the chain, but I plan to replace the bikes with the Citizen Rome with carbon belt drive and their solid tires.

My road bike has belt drive and Tannus solid tires and it's very liberating to just grab it and go with no worries whatsoever; with almost no maintenance, no chain rust, and no fear of flats, I think solid tires and belt drive is a great combination for a boat bike.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 07:37   #28

Boat: Moody 346 34ft

Decathlon
zambant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumqik View Post
Looking for opinions on those with folding bikes. Needs to be lightweight, easy to single handedly load in tender, basket for provisions, fun to ride. Any thoughts?
We've been using a folding Swagtron power-aided bike for a year now. Along with the handlebards folding down, the pedals also fold, so it's easy to take through hatches.

Around 35lb. A five hour charge gets you around 15 miles at around 10 miles an hour. Can also do hills, but you need to help with the pedals.

One issue: tires are pretty decent on paving but not knobby enough, I'd say, for sandy paths that are not so uncommon on many islands.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambant View Post
Decathlon

Plus 1 for the decathalon bikes.. Cheap, Alloy and do the job.

If you watch the YT vlogs, Ruby Rose have issues with their Bromptons and wouldn't recomend them..
skyrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men