Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2018, 07:47   #1
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,208
Battle Threads

I normally don't read a thread when I can see it is a fairly straight forward question and it already has 40+ replies. But I'm becoming aware than a lot of those threads are amusing to read because of the little petty internet battles going on in it.

Since I need more free waste of time amusement, please post those threads here so us "too lazy to read threads" people (me) know I should check it out.

Thank you for your fellow CF member consideration.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 14:34   #2
SFS
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Always travelling
Posts: 272
Re: Battle Threads

The one that comes to mind was about "cones of uncertainty" or something like that, in the past 8 months. Humorous to watch the back and forth.
__________________

SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 19:30   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11,655
Re: Battle Threads

Nah, I think we should endlessly debate whether this thread topic is a good idea or not.

I say not, just look for the ones keep getting bumped back up to the first page long after the OP's been answered and fled.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 20:50   #4
Registered User
 
chris mac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: edmonton alberta
Boat: 1980 san juan 7.7
Posts: 674
Re: Battle Threads

There's this one guy who posts his budget monthly. That's gotten quite a few petty comments, especially the first few months;-)
When I'm in the mood for reading those battle threads, I find you can just search posts of a select few members. Yes, it can be entertaining.
chris mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 05:03   #5
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 1,540
Re: Battle Threads

My strategy is to read threads with an interesting subject, and avoid the threads with an apparently straightforward answer and enough posts to answer it (as you point out.)

The entertaining ones are those which go on for several pages more than their subjects imply they should. You know those have spiraled into epithet-hurling contests. I'll check those when I'm bored.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 05:06   #6
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,208
Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
There's this one guy who posts his budget monthly. That's gotten quite a few petty comments, especially the first few months;-)
When I'm in the mood for reading those battle threads, I find you can just search posts of a select few members. Yes, it can be entertaining.
Those are just madeup threads by a fat man living in his parents basement
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 05:56   #7
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 3,578
Re: Battle Threads

We need another solder vs crimped wiring connections thread.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 06:27   #8
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Grenada
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 2,293
Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
We need another solder vs crimped wiring connections thread.
LOL.. Yup.. and if you look at those threads its always the same 4-6 people fighting..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:17   #9
Registered User
 
JC Reefer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 236
Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
We need another solder vs crimped wiring connections thread.


Everyone knows you should solder the wires. Crimps are fire hazards and death traps waiting to happen.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:53   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
ronstory's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Portland, OR USA
Boat: C&C 35 MK-II
Posts: 226
Re: Battle Threads

My favorite category for entertaining discussions has to be lithium batteries. Always good for a laugh or head shake.
__________________
Thanks,
Ron
ronstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:55   #11
Registered User
 
brookiesailor's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Connecticut, USA
Boat: Passport 40
Posts: 354
Re: Battle Threads

OK so I was sick yesterday and wandering around the forums yesterday and found a few gems. I don't know how to attach links but you can look them up

Solo sailing without autopilot

Is single handing >24 HRS morally wrong?

and then there was one about Colregs and a boat with oars....
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:38   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 4,102
Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I normally don't read a thread when I can see it is a fairly straight forward question and it already has 40+ replies. But I'm becoming aware than a lot of those threads are amusing to read because of the little petty internet battles going on in it.

Since I need more free waste of time amusement, please post those threads here so us "too lazy to read threads" people (me) know I should check it out.

Thank you for your fellow CF member consideration.
Too much work.

Instead, let me pull a battle-thread from the substance of your kickoff post above.

Yes, there's a lot of bickering on CF, much of it petty and of little consequence. And here's you wanting to seek it out... because you're apparently bored...

Ok - possible battle-thread topic: Cruising is actually boring and many of you are so bored "out there" that hours wasted in bickering online actually counts as entertainment.

(my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, but seriously, there's often a lot of bickering on CF)
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 10:59   #13
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 15,208
Re: Battle Threads

See how easy and quickly some can turn a thread into a battle.

I came across one the other day about something to do with legal requirements and that the guy kept a lot of cash on him. It was at 4 pages at the time with lots of battle going on, but I didn’t read it on time and it got deleted
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 11:45   #14
Registered User
 
travellerw's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Grenada
Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Posts: 2,293
Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
See how easy and quickly some can turn a thread into a battle.

I came across one the other day about something to do with legal requirements and that the guy kept a lot of cash on him. It was at 4 pages at the time with lots of battle going on, but I didnít read it on time and it got deleted
One of the best things I figured out on CF was how to block a user. I blocked 5 or 6 key users and my CF experience has been WAY WAY better. Once I get to the point in a thread where CF says "This user response has been blocked by you", I know that there will be nothing more usefull in that thread.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 13:37   #15
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,745
Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Too much work.

Instead, let me pull a battle-thread from the substance of your kickoff post above.

Yes, there's a lot of bickering on CF, much of it petty and of little consequence. And here's you wanting to seek it out... because you're apparently bored...

Ok - possible battle-thread topic: Cruising is actually boring and many of you are so bored "out there" that hours wasted in bickering online actually counts as entertainment.

(my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, but seriously, there's often a lot of bickering on CF)
Now hold on there...I don't know if I'd call it bickering...
__________________

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losing Battle to Fill My Batteries VVD Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 8 26-07-2010 08:40
The Battle for Percy Island Bob Norson Pacific & South China Sea 4 09-02-2010 16:44
Countries battle Pirates hatteras Health, Safety & Related Gear 24 06-10-2008 18:52
USS Cape St. George & Gonzales Battle Somali Pirates Amac Health, Safety & Related Gear 14 19-03-2006 23:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.