Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2018, 07:47   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Battle Threads

I normally don't read a thread when I can see it is a fairly straight forward question and it already has 40+ replies. But I'm becoming aware than a lot of those threads are amusing to read because of the little petty internet battles going on in it.

Since I need more free waste of time amusement, please post those threads here so us "too lazy to read threads" people (me) know I should check it out.

Thank you for your fellow CF member consideration.
Old 20-04-2018, 14:34   #2
SFS

Re: Battle Threads

The one that comes to mind was about "cones of uncertainty" or something like that, in the past 8 months. Humorous to watch the back and forth.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 19:30   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Nah, I think we should endlessly debate whether this thread topic is a good idea or not.

I say not, just look for the ones keep getting bumped back up to the first page long after the OP's been answered and fled.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 20:50   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

There's this one guy who posts his budget monthly. That's gotten quite a few petty comments, especially the first few months;-)
When I'm in the mood for reading those battle threads, I find you can just search posts of a select few members. Yes, it can be entertaining.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 05:03   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

My strategy is to read threads with an interesting subject, and avoid the threads with an apparently straightforward answer and enough posts to answer it (as you point out.)

The entertaining ones are those which go on for several pages more than their subjects imply they should. You know those have spiraled into epithet-hurling contests. I'll check those when I'm bored.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 05:06   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
There's this one guy who posts his budget monthly. That's gotten quite a few petty comments, especially the first few months;-)
When I'm in the mood for reading those battle threads, I find you can just search posts of a select few members. Yes, it can be entertaining.
Those are just madeup threads by a fat man living in his parents basement
Old 21-04-2018, 05:56   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We need another solder vs crimped wiring connections thread.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 06:27   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
LOL.. Yup.. and if you look at those threads its always the same 4-6 people fighting..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:17   #9

Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

Everyone knows you should solder the wires. Crimps are fire hazards and death traps waiting to happen. [emoji6]
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:53   #10

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

My favorite category for entertaining discussions has to be lithium batteries. Always good for a laugh or head shake.
Old 21-04-2018, 07:55   #11

Boat: Passport 40

OK so I was sick yesterday and wandering around the forums yesterday and found a few gems. I don't know how to attach links but you can look them up

Solo sailing without autopilot

Is single handing >24 HRS morally wrong?

and then there was one about Colregs and a boat with oars....
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 08:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I normally don't read a thread when I can see it is a fairly straight forward question and it already has 40+ replies. But I'm becoming aware than a lot of those threads are amusing to read because of the little petty internet battles going on in it.

Since I need more free waste of time amusement, please post those threads here so us "too lazy to read threads" people (me) know I should check it out.

Thank you for your fellow CF member consideration.
Too much work.

Instead, let me pull a battle-thread from the substance of your kickoff post above.

Yes, there's a lot of bickering on CF, much of it petty and of little consequence. And here's you wanting to seek it out... because you're apparently bored...

Ok - possible battle-thread topic: Cruising is actually boring and many of you are so bored "out there" that hours wasted in bickering online actually counts as entertainment.

(my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, but seriously, there's often a lot of bickering on CF)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 10:59   #13
S/V rubber ducky

See how easy and quickly some can turn a thread into a battle.

I came across one the other day about something to do with legal requirements and that the guy kept a lot of cash on him. It was at 4 pages at the time with lots of battle going on, but I didn’t read it on time and it got deleted
Old 21-04-2018, 11:45   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
See how easy and quickly some can turn a thread into a battle.

I came across one the other day about something to do with legal requirements and that the guy kept a lot of cash on him. It was at 4 pages at the time with lots of battle going on, but I didn’t read it on time and it got deleted
One of the best things I figured out on CF was how to block a user. I blocked 5 or 6 key users and my CF experience has been WAY WAY better. Once I get to the point in a thread where CF says "This user response has been blocked by you", I know that there will be nothing more usefull in that thread.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 13:37   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Too much work.

Instead, let me pull a battle-thread from the substance of your kickoff post above.

Yes, there's a lot of bickering on CF, much of it petty and of little consequence. And here's you wanting to seek it out... because you're apparently bored...

Ok - possible battle-thread topic: Cruising is actually boring and many of you are so bored "out there" that hours wasted in bickering online actually counts as entertainment.

(my tongue is firmly in my cheek here, but seriously, there's often a lot of bickering on CF)
Now hold on there...I don't know if I'd call it bickering...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote