Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 06:39   #76

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Mama always told me, " Son find something you are good at and then strive to be the best at it".

Trolling as it turns out is much harder than it looks, so kids don't try this at home. But to make the perfect troll post, you have to have both wit and intelligence to be able to toss out a 1-2 sentence comment that will elicit both an emotional response and an intellectual one behind hit. Oh anyone can just toss out insults, but the key to a great troll post (as with all good humor) is that there has to be some truth in it. You have to base the post on truth, and usually a truth that the OP doesn't want to talk about or acknowledge exists. The OP will then have to decide, does he take the bait and go personal OR does he address the underlying truth of the troll post.

A good troll post is as much science and strategy as it is sharp wit and comedy.

But and this is VERY Important.
Why do "troll posts" work? Why would someone give an unknown person the power to elicit and emotional response to something they read online?

Ah...there my friend is the Magic. In a world where everyone has to sing the same tune, most people actually LONG for and ENjoy the troll posts because they are the true Free Thinkers and trailblazers of the digital world. Imagine an internet without troll posts....friends that is called NPR and it is as boring as watching climate data being manipulated.

{Editors Note: another aspect of a good troll post is to work in topics that are known to be controversial as a parting zinger. The last sentence is VERY IMPORTANT because it is the last though the reader will leave with, so don't waste it. See above for a great example of a properly executed final sentence. That's called setting the hook}
Priceless!!!!!! Cold plate refrigeration for everyone!!!!!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:19   #77
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What gets me are those whose limited viewpoint and combative personality turns them into trolls without it even being intentional.

And then it turns out they think they're effectively promoting their business through social media!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:25   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that, your explanation suggests that perhaps trolling is often simply an act of, um, self-pleasuring?
Is not everything one does for self pleasure.. esle why do it.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:29   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What gets me are those whose limited viewpoint and combative personality turns them into trolls without it even being intentional.

And then it turns out they think they're effectively promoting their business through social media!
Ahh.. Thats down to that old mantra..
All publicity is good publicity..
Thanks for the chance of another promo..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37   #80

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Pom Pom
You had to go and try to turn the Pan Pan debate into a gun thread?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:44   #81

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

I have noticed that, in many cases, the "troll" accusation is all too often leveled against another poster who's opinions are neither shared nor liked. IOW, another one of these social media "debate" tactics used by those who are unable to argue their positions effectively, so instead resort to attacking the opposing party as opposed to challenging the opinion itself. What some label as "trolling" is often just an effective way of using humor & sarcasm to make a point. Humor can be in the eye of the beholder, however, especially on the internet.

They often are, whether intentional or not. Except maybe for those who's limited viewpoints render them incapable of distinguishing between another poster's personal opinion and what they happen to do for a living.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:48   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Just about any post by Smackdaddy...and don't even get me started on bringing back Bob Perry...
Good point! What's ironic is they're both probably very nice guys in person. Social media is kinda funny that way.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:51   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I enjoy reading CF on an extremely cold winter day up here near the Arctic circle in Massachusetts, winter arrived one full month early this year with below freezing daytime temps in early November; how I long for the warming tread which is still five months away.

Winter sucks, bring on the rising temps!!
I'm outraged by such blasphemy Ken! Heck, I might even need to become offended and call you a troll! But I nevertheless agree that winter sucks.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:52   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I reckon Bob Perry is a pretty cool guy..
Smackdaddy.. Who cares.???
Mind.. he says the same about me

Old 11-12-2018, 08:06   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I reckon Bob Perry is a pretty cool guy..
Smackdaddy.. Who cares.???
Mind.. he says the same about me
Yeah, I always figured Bob Perry would be a fun and obviously interesting guy to hang with in person. A couple of posters reported sharing the same marina with Smackdaddy and commenting favorably about his in person persona. Although he liked to offend & disrupt here (and promote his website), he did manage to highlight some of the bias many have about certain brands of boats. Well-founded, unfounded, or otherwise. Often backfired on him, but he got the issue out there. Probably the undisputed 'King of the Battle Threads' for awhile there.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Is not everything one does for self pleasure.. esle why do it.???

I suppose the difference is in where you take your pleasure - is the pleasure in contributing to a discussion, or is it in simply validating their own position to themselves and/or goading someone else into an angry or emotional response?

These actions all have their attractions; but some are more positive than others.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:36   #87

Quote:
I suppose the difference is in where you take your pleasure - is the pleasure in contributing to a discussion, or is it in simply validating their own position to themselves and/or goading someone else into an angry or emotional response?

These actions all have their attractions; but some are more positive than others.
I admire your ability for self-reflection! Not everyone has such skill or is so inclined.

P.S. You think this post meets 3D's high level standards for "trolling?"
Old 11-12-2018, 08:45   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
P.S. You think this post meets 3D's high level standards for "trolling?"

3D apparently has a standard that he seldom hits. Anyways, I think this one worked a treat.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24   #89

Quote:
3D apparently has a standard that he seldom hits. Anyways, I think this one worked a treat.
Apparently it got your attention -- at least twice. So your responses only served to make his point.
Old 14-12-2018, 06:31   #90

Some oxes just need to be gored.