Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 07:58   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Avoiding Huge Ships!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stay outa Shipping Channels...??
As one might expect the book provides a little more detail than boatman61. Here is one of the reviews:

"I was very excited to find my copy of "How to avoid Huge Ships" in the mail three months ago. However, I was very disapointed regarding the length of this "book". The book begins with a lengthy forward as well as a dedication followed by only 2 chapters....Chapter 1. Turn Left-----And Chapter 2. Turn Right. While statistically accurate and fundamentally helpful, the two chapters really left me wanting more. I was very satisfied with the results of the book seeing as I have not had any encounters with huge ships since. "
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:20   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The solution is really simple. Stay on land, don't visit shipyards and don't go closer than 100 yards from the water when visiting the beach. You might also want to avoid traveling over bridges that cross navigable waters. Ships are sneaky and sometimes ram bridges. Ships have been known to have competitions to see how many cars they can knock off a bridge.

If you for some reasom must be near the water then read on:

This book has 1010 reviews....so at least that many people spent $250 to purchase what is a little common sense?...whew!

Save yourself the money...
1. Buy a basic AIS receiver.

2. Learn how to use your VHF so you can communicate with ships in order to make a passing arrangement. Believe it or not, they don't want to hit you either.

3. Learn how to do a relative motion line using your radar....(very basic rapid radar plotting).

Problem solved....money saved.

I need to author a no-brainer solution book and charge $250 for it....maybe a book on how to pee over the side without falling over? Last page spoiler: pee below deck. I'm pretty sure more people die from this than by getting hit by ships.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:32   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
Avoiding Huge Ships!

If I read the reviews right this is only one in a series. Could be the next Dick Francis for travelers.
Huge trains, huge trucks, huge piers,huge..... Endless supply of huge things to avoid. I did get quite a bit of free joy from the reviews.
I have to admit years back crossing the newyork shipping lanes headed for block island at night.I didn't have ais and the radar went sketchy. Some of these boats are huge and lit up like a small city. Felt a little bit like playing frogger as I dashed across the lane.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:56   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Radar!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar ship.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	72794  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote