Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2011, 20:03   #16

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Re: Anyone Have an Inflatable Kayak ?

We have an advanced elements and love it...firm, made of hypalon, surprisingly comfy -- used it a lot in the bahamas when we didn't feel like putting the motor on the dink or burning the gas

Old 01-11-2011, 20:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
Following some good advice, I am looked into renting a couple of kayaks for my charter on Chesapeake Bay in July, turns out it is quite expensive to rent one for a week... I could buy this SEAEAGLE inflatable for less money and have it for next time...

Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak/Canoe

Has anyone had any experience with Inflatable Kayaks, can you get them to go in a straight line

Are the SEAEAGLEs about as good as any for the money ?

Thanks
I have the Sea Eagle 370 and love it. However they have their good and bad points.

On the plus side, tons of bouyancy, easy to get in and out of, stable, very comfortable especially if you go for the premium inflatable seats, quality is very good. They have a great safety margin compared to a normal kayak, being essentially unsinkable. Packs in a compact but rather heavy bag.

I have a bad back and any normal kayak has me in agony in half a minute. I can paddle the Sea Eagle all day.

The down side? They're a bit slow. If you had to do 20 miles in one you'd get a bit impatient. There's also a lot of windage so they can be hard to steer in a blow. Helps a lot if you have 2 people in it.

I take mine on camping trips for just messing about in lakes and it's fantastic for that. For the money I think they're pretty awesome.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:30   #18

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Thanks.....some more options to look at.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 11:40   #19

Boat: Beneteau 57

I just researched Kayaks & ended up buying the Bic Sport YakkAir. Have not used it yet, but it has great reviews, folds up quite compactly in its own case & has 3 seating options. Check out Kayaking & Canoeing | Kayak, Canoe, and Paddle Resource: Paddling.net for lots of good info!
Old 02-12-2011, 14:00   #20

not really a Kayak
12' inflatable Kayak & inflatable Boat crossover - KaBoat SK396.
but has anyone tried one of these. I'm intrigued with the design and price
Old 02-12-2011, 14:24   #21

That is kind of interesting. With less width but longer waterline, might go faster in non-planing mode. It should also row/paddle better. Plus $500 is a good price.
Old 02-12-2011, 16:41   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see nothing Kayak about it. You put on a Kayak like a pair of pants, add a spray collar, and you can roll it without any problem. As opposed to a sit-yak, paddleboard, or canoe, all of which you sit on or in and the water is not prevented from joining you.

This KaBoat is just a skinny PVC inflateable boat. A skinny version of a standard SeaEagle or other PVC tubby boat. Maybe it is a better design, maybe not, but it has nothing to do with Kayak or "new", it is just a skinnier version of an inflateable, which might make it point better and be easier to paddle (as opposed to row).

Looks heavy and with "lots of stuff" as compared to simpler lighter alternatives.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37   #23

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Last year I bought a 17' Sevelor from Coleman on line. They bought out Sevelor and discontinued the 17' Ocean Kayak. Retails @ $1200. I got it for $400. I should have bought all they had!
The boat holds 850lbs of gear. 4 people. Inflatable floor, etc.
I put a sail on it and have a bawl with it. Best $400 I ever spent!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04   #24
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

We've extensively used and beat a Hobie i14t for several years down here. A tandem inflatable with two Mirage Drives, two paddles, and a sail kit. This is in a tropical, sharp object environment. We would take on any of the above in a ten mile ocean race, and we'll win it. Guaranteed. The others would win in a shallow river. But for open water, Two semi-geezers in the Hobie and you can put olympic champs in the other inflatable if you like.

Using your legs, two people and a fair bit of gear can cruise at 4 kts for hour after hour. About as long as you can comfortably cruise on a bicycle. The Mirage Drives are like magic. You don't have to be synchronized, like with paddles. You don't have the wind resistance. Your hands are free for other things. The sail kit helps a lot under very limited circumstances, but it's easy to take along and weighs next to nothing. We've cruised along for hours with it.

Lots of images and some videos on the blog if anyone is interested. We moved on to the Hobie Tandem Island but still use the i14t when people visit. Like last week.

Might be a bit out of budget, though, at around $ 2500. Good news is that it's industrial strength and will last for years.
Old 16-02-2012, 12:54   #25

Boat: Graham Radford 415

Great information in this thread, I was about to make a thread asking some questions about inflatable kayaks but didn't see the need with this here.

So I've been considering buy some inflatable kayaks, mainly for a bit of fun when we go sailing around the islands and for when we eventually go offshore. I'm not looking for anything serious, nothing top of the line, overly expensive and super fast. Just simple, safe and fun.

I haven't done too much research yet, but I saw this in West Marine the other day and I think this is the kind of thing we would go for - WEST MARINE Scamper I Inflatable Sit Inside Kayak at West Marine

Anyway, I just have a couple of questions I was hoping someone with experience could answer for me.

1. Is it going to be one of those things that we'll use a couple of times then it will just gather dust? Have any of you experienced that?

2. The hull doesn't seem very sturdy at all, especially the one in the link I showed it has a "viewing window" which seems it could be so easily pierced. Just PVC I think, is this something to worry about? If we do get some I'm sure out puppy will be coming alon with us and it looks like his nails could just tear the thing..

3. With good care, how long do these things last?

I'm sure there's more questions swimming around up there somewhere.. that's all I've got for now though. Thanks!
Old 16-02-2012, 13:16   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

If you don't run them on shore they seem to be OK. It's the sun and ground contact that seems to be the biggest downfall. Or if you carry any gear you have to be careful of sharp corners.

I'm looking at a more expensive units b/c I want to store it away while sailing and then be able to take it ashore just like the regular inflatable.

Here are the one's I like so far.>> Aire Sea Tiger Inflatable Kayak Review | Inflatable Kayak World
Aire Super Lynx Inflatable Kayak Review | Inflatable Kayak World
the explorer >> Explorer Inflatable Kayaks

These also come in one man versions.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 15:35   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post
Great information in this thread, I was about to make a thread asking some questions about inflatable kayaks but didn't see the need with this here.

So I've been considering buy some inflatable kayaks, mainly for a bit of fun when we go sailing around the islands and for when we eventually go offshore. I'm not looking for anything serious, nothing top of the line, overly expensive and super fast. Just simple, safe and fun.

I haven't done too much research yet, but I saw this in West Marine the other day and I think this is the kind of thing we would go for - WEST MARINE Scamper I Inflatable Sit Inside Kayak at West Marine

Anyway, I just have a couple of questions I was hoping someone with experience could answer for me.

1. Is it going to be one of those things that we'll use a couple of times then it will just gather dust? Have any of you experienced that?

2. The hull doesn't seem very sturdy at all, especially the one in the link I showed it has a "viewing window" which seems it could be so easily pierced. Just PVC I think, is this something to worry about? If we do get some I'm sure out puppy will be coming alon with us and it looks like his nails could just tear the thing..

I'm sure there's more questions swimming around up there somewhere.. that's all I've got for now though. Thanks!
The Scamper1 and Scamper2 models are made by Advanced Elements for Westmarine. The are basically the same as our Lagoon models except they have a different color, and a few different features, such as the viewing window. The hull is made from 1000 denier PVC tarpaulin and is very durable stuff. The viewing window is really the only area you may want to be careful with. There is a black foam floor panel that lays over the top of the window for added protection. This way you can open and close the window at your convenience. AE started making these kayaks in 2002 and they will last a long time if taken care of. Just make sure to hose them down after each use and dry them out before packing them away, and your good to go.
AE Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:50   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post

The Scamper1 and the Lagoon1 kayaks are the same except for the viewing window and color. The viewing window has a foam hatch opening that can be opened/closed from the top for added protection. I wouldn't worry to much about it being pierced unless you are padding in very shallow oyster beds. As long as your kayak is rinsed of and put away dry after each use, then you really don't have to worry about the kayaks lifespan. I have seen 10 year old kayaks look brand new if well taken care of.
AE Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: