Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 17:29   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
Nook is good here

Using a 3G Nook here and we love it.

Only problem is it's too easy for the First Mate to order and get new books delivered.

Duncan
S/V TALISA
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 18:50   #32

Boat: Cal 2-27 - Restless Soul
I elected to get the Kindle. After doing my research, I figured it was the best option. I didn't bother with the 3G version as I'm usually in an area that has WiFi available. If you turn the WiFi off when not using it, the battery will last for weeks without a recharge.
The only issue I've had with it, is trying to read magazines. Once you find something you want to read, you have to magnify it to actually read it.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 19:13   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Barnes & Noble is coming out with a color Nook with a 7 inch touchscreen with Wi-Fi for $250. You may want to wait and see what the reviews have to say.

NOOKcolor - The Ultimate Reading Experience - Barnes*&*Noble

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 21:02   #34

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Thanks for all the input, folks.
I pulled the trigger on one of these today:
http://sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/store...52921666257815

Merry Christmas to me!
Although something tells me that once SWMBO sees it, I may be picking up a second one- it's gonna be like the Nintendo DS all over again. I think i played it once three years ago, then somehow it ended up in somebody's purse.
Not my purse! i don't have a purse! I don't even have a satchel! not that there is anything wrong with that. oh, nebbermind.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 21:10   #35

Boat: Vagabond 42
Congrats. Let us know how if you like it.
Old 06-11-2010, 00:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
I'm debating the pros and cons of an iPad vs. Kindle for my 10 year old. Its an extravagance for a 10 year old for certain, but she is going to have to give up so much of her stuff to move aboard this might make it easier.

I get the multifunctionality of the iPad, but then its quite a bit more expensive than a Kindle.

What is the power usage/charging rates of each one? How quickly do they run through a charge? I imagine the ipad will eat a lot more juice than the Kindle, just wondering HOW much more?
Pretty decent discussion here.

Isn't technology great to have so many choices?

Truth is they are all good!

Is there anyway you could swing the iPad 3G because it has a GPS chip in it which is great for traveling, sailing, navigating vs. the standard wifi iPad that does not have the gps. It's actually more accurate than my hockey puck USB GPS. Maybe your daughter will share it with you and get more involved with navigation, weather data etc. she can also call her friends for free on it with Skype and text them and that's going to be very important for a pre teen on a boat.

If you do buy one and she lets you use it you'll love it! I use my laptop about 10% of the time know and my iPad about 90% of the time. It's FANTASTIC!

Now that I said that there is a lot to be said for the 'get away' e-book reader that will not let you check email or connect to the internet. Not a bad thing either. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 00:27   #37

^ I get about 10-11 hours on a charge, if I turn wifi and 3G off it's up to 12-13 hours on a charge. I charge mine with the 110v USB plug and it takes about 3 hours for a full charge.
Old 06-11-2010, 00:37   #38

^^ There are aftermarket chargers that take a little over an hour for a full charge with a cigarette lighter adapter included, they cost about $39. The charger I mentioned above was the free one that came with the iPad.
Old 06-11-2010, 18:04   #39

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Thanks for all the input, folks.
I pulled the trigger on one of these today:
http://sonystyle.ca/webapp/wcs/store...52921666257815

Merry Christmas to me!
Although something tells me that once SWMBO sees it, I may be picking up a second one- it's gonna be like the Nintendo DS all over again. I think i played it once three years ago, then somehow it ended up in somebody's purse.
Not my purse! i don't have a purse! I don't even have a satchel! not that there is anything wrong with that. oh, nebbermind.

Congrats on your choice and I know you will love it! However I do think that with Christmas coming up and you can forsee this being a problem - why not just bite the bullet and buy her one now? Awesome present! Fits in the purse (or satchel) really well. Would suggest however you don't open yours until she gets hers.

Enjoy. Don't forget there are heaps of free sites out there!
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 19:28   #40

Boat: Currently boatless
If you plan to check out library ebooks, just be aware that the Kindle doesn't do that. The Sony and Nook do. I have a Nook. The first few editions of the software were pretty buggy (freezing issues) but I have had zero problems since the most recent update. I love having it aboard as does my husband who no longer trips over bags of books.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 00:57   #41

Boat: just my arms and legs
Send a message via ICQ to AtomicPhil Send a message via AIM to AtomicPhil Send a message via MSN to AtomicPhil Send a message via Yahoo to AtomicPhil Send a message via Skype™ to AtomicPhil
Ebook

does anyone know of a good color ebook reader? i would like to buy one but displays pictures in colors. i like to read books but also that has some displays and im not a fan of black and white pics. i like the detailed stuff.
AtomicPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I have bags of books to read and trade. And while it'd be nice to use the shelf space for other items I'm not interested in any e-reader for a number of reasons.

- not water resistant
- expensive to buy
- expensive to load (I can buy used books for under $2)
- I can't turn down the corner, mark a passage, or scan an image
- I like the feel of paper, the smell of old paper, and the look of the bookshelf stacked with great reading material
- e-books are very hard to trade
Old 13-11-2010, 03:27   #43

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hello !
It is strange that nobody is using an iPad, it is so convenient ... And you can read newspapers too.. while listening music...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 17:50   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
We have Kindles now.
One each.
Our goal was to just have a book to read. Not to do all the other neat stuff like navigation etc.

A zip-lock takes care of the water part. Works fine.

Our Kindles have paid for themselves in less than six months.......at Amazon prices.

I found a site for 40.00 a month and unlimited downloads. I bought a lifetime membership for 125.00 and have downloaded easily over 100 books from the site this year. The cost goes down with each book I get. If they don't have it you can request it (for a credit - lifetime gets 3 credits a month ) and usually in less than a week - yup - an email miraculously appears from "out there somewhere".

The Kindle marks the last spot you were reading for you. You don't need to fold down the corner. I can mark anything in the book. I can make notes about the passage too and don't have to write in the margins. This stays on my Kindle and does not go to you with the book if I give it to you. The Kindle is not a scanner but neither is a paper book oh, you mean look at a picture? Sure I can. Charts and stuff go off the page so you have to take 12 seconds (or less ) to convert to landscape mode.

Feel and smell are hard to compare. But the ease of use, lightness, ability to hold and use with one or no hands, lack of "holding" cramps,etc. I suggest it is a "sorta try it, you might like it" kinda thing........
ebooks can be traded by email or direct plug-in. Works like a thumb drive. Pretty dang easy if you ask me. I can email you the whole 22 books of the Aubry Maturin series in just a little bit.

But I have not been able to get
Defining the wind by Scott Huler
Man is that a great book. Got tired holding the dang thing but it was worth the read. The site publisher does not have it. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
I have bags of books to read and trade. And while it'd be nice to use the shelf space for other items I'm not interested in any e-reader for a number of reasons.

- not water resistant
- expensive to buy
- expensive to load (I can buy used books for under $2)
- I can't turn down the corner, mark a passage, or scan an image
- I like the feel of paper, the smell of old paper, and the look of the bookshelf stacked with great reading material
- e-books are very hard to trade
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 17:55   #45

Boat: PETERSON 44
THe only down side I see. I like leaving books I enjoyed in Marinas. No way am I leaving a kindle on the donor shelf. Less sharing but maybe more books as people empty their shelves. THats good for everyone. My preference is the I pad with kindle app
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote