Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 08:46   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
My one hit on reading things on the Kindle is when there are graphics in the text. Most times they are fine, but I read The Regulators this past summer and there are parts that are handwritten journal from one of the characters. The text was so small as it was a graphic and based on a full page of text from a book I almost could not make it out.

Out side of that, love it.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:54   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
My one hit on reading things on the Kindle is when there are graphics in the text. Most times they are fine, but I read The Regulators this past summer and there are parts that are handwritten journal from one of the characters. The text was so small as it was a graphic and based on a full page of text from a book I almost could not make it out.

Out side of that, love it.
The graphics are a little weak. I know they made the "big kindle" for manuals and textbooks, but I don't know if they'll ever really be as good as a big piece of paper. But for novels and lots of text you just can't beat a Kindle.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 11:31   #78

Boat: None. As for a name, let's just say "Wishful Thinking"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
So what is the web site?
I agree with everything said here. There is something about the smell and feel of an old book that can't be duplicated. I've got several leather bound editions that I'll pick up and started reading just so I can feel and smell them
i am reminded of one of my favorite scenes from the old buffy the vampire slayer episodes from 1997(?) in which Giles, a stuffy stuttering british librarian, argues with Jenny, a techno-pagan hip to the up and coming "world wide web", about his distrust of computers...

Jenny Calendar: Honestly, what is it about them that bothers you so much?
Rupert Giles: The smell.
Jenny Calendar: Computers don't smell, Rupert.
Rupert Giles: I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a - it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly.

incidentally, in this episode, jenny was scanning all the ancient books into her computer. one of the books was a "prison" for a demon, and when scanned, the demon escaped into the www and wreaked havok, making all computers vessel's for the demon's influence. kitschy.

i tend to agree with giles. a book becomes a friend. starts new and uncreased. but after reading through, creases form, pages tear, bindings break. the friend is no longer afraid to reveal the imperfections caused by the consequence of tactile contact. hands form to the book, the book forms to the hands. and years later, the reunion of book to hands (and nose!) awakens the memory.

but what do i know... i watch buffy the vampire slayer.
heyniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:34   #79

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I was a big "I like turning pages" person; I get annoyed with paper books now. It's so much easier to not have to jam your thumb in a paperback. And for complicated books with a lot of characters (Count of Monte Cristo, etc) it's so nice to just create highlights and make little notes here and there rather than have an accompanying notebook (what I used to do).

I blast through books now with the fury. Before I'd read maybe one every 1-2 months, now I'm reading hundreds of pages a week.

I think I asked this before.......

My wife and I both think our reading speed has increased also. Neither of us can explain it. We just note that per day/week for the same hours we cover more pages/books.

???

And the "I like to hold/smell a book". Rubbish. Just have to try it. Unlike acid.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:59   #80

Boat: Marlow 42SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2
Hello..
An iPad can do a lot of things onboard, the other ereader cannot : You'll get a lot of information about crossing the atlantic with an iPad on this link (in english, french, etc...)

Traverser l’Atlantique avec un iPad – Navigation Mac

Jacques2
One thing I still have not seen on this thread is the FREE 3G service when you get the Nook 3G. No monthly fee and there are apps for surfing the web.
3DPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 06:48   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I think I asked this before.......

My wife and I both think our reading speed has increased also. Neither of us can explain it. We just note that per day/week for the same hours we cover more pages/books.

???

And the "I like to hold/smell a book". Rubbish. Just have to try it. Unlike acid.
For me it's just so much more convenient. Before if I went on a trip somewhere I'd bring a book or two with me, but often I wouldn't care to read either of those two, so I'd watch hotel TV instead. And being able to download sample chapters and check stuff out in advance has been huge too. I spend an hour on amazon.com every couple of weeks poking through the books, and I send probably two dozen sample chapters to my kindle from stuff that looks interesting.

Having your whole damn library (plus periodicals) sitting there is amazing.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 14:34   #82

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones
My wife and I read. A lot. Some people have home theatres, we have a library. I am starting to warm to the idea of getting an e-reader for the boat. Anybody have one? Throw me your input, please
Make sure you check out the iPad! Besides being an excellent eReader it's also a computer. Now you don't have to sit at your nav station reading emails or lug a laptop ashore when you go to an Internet cafe. In fact I am posting this from the new Cruisers Forum App.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:36   #83
cruiser

I like a little nookie now and then

After a lot of research I bought my wife a Nook for Christmas.
Supports a epubs at the library & wide range of other files supported w/o stupid conversion-I don't care to be held hostage wherever I can avoid it. I run Linux and don't know about the software for Kindle tho it appears to be technically a superior device.
micro sd card for unlimited storage,
battery is user replaceable.

After Sony put spyware in music CD's I refuse to give Sony any money I can possibly avoid. Bastichs!

I'll be buying a sheet fed scanner and slowly convert my lesser books to electronic form. I'm sure there must be some US law against it but I paid for the books they're mine. Sadly the laundry book exchange will suffer but life is about change.

Really at the cost of these things loosing/breaking one isn't the end of the world if you keep safe back-ups.

As she is opening her Christmas package containing the Nook I bought her she hands me a package which contained a Nook. Great minds thinking alike.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:42   #84

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
micro sd card for unlimited storage,
battery is user replaceable.

Sadly the laundry book exchange will suffer but life is about change.

The new Nook is nice. A back-light too.

I can see thumb drives being left with the books in the laundry exchange as memory comes down even further.
Old 26-12-2010, 09:02   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The new Nook is nice. A back-light too.

I can see thumb drives being left with the books in the laundry exchange as memory comes down even further.
Therapy that is Brilliant !

I left a thumbdrive full of fotos of our Florida trip with a friend and perhaps he will load it up and return it one day.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 10:11   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
impatiently awaiting my Kindle. Should be here by end of 1st week in Feb. Probably just in time for them to announce a new version. I have been using the Kindle for PC reader and like it a lot, but haven't researched how to get other formats into it yet. I also use the Adobe Digital Editions for Library books.

I looked at the IPad but felt it was to big for a reader and I don't need the computer functionality so I went with the Kindle.

I checked out the Sony reader but have decided against giving Sony any more of my money. That'l teach em...lol
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 14:18   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
impatiently awaiting my Kindle. Should be here by end of 1st week in Feb. Probably just in time for them to announce a new version. I have been using the Kindle for PC reader and like it a lot, but haven't researched how to get other formats into it yet. I also use the Adobe Digital Editions for Library books.

I looked at the IPad but felt it was to big for a reader and I don't need the computer functionality so I went with the Kindle.

I checked out the Sony reader but have decided against giving Sony any more of my money. That'l teach em...lol
http://calibre-ebook.com/download
Old 26-12-2010, 18:36   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
I'll be buying a sheet fed scanner and slowly convert my lesser books to electronic form. I'm sure there must be some US law against it but I paid for the books they're mine.
Interesting point. Ethically, I suppose as long as you've paid the author for his intellectual property, you're clear. You're just making a "backup copy" for yourself to protect against the damage that paper books can receive on a boat, such as mold?
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:33   #89

Boat: Tayana 37
Just found a Sony reader in my Christmas stocking, Ive spent a while browsing the various book sites but have yet to make my first purchase, apart from Amazon the selection of sailing related ebooks seems to be quite limited. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to their favourite download source and the best books.
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 20:31   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Project Gutenberg has thousands of free books
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

Those are the only ones I know of. I haven't downloaded Calibre yet but I noticed they seem to have a list of download sites. It seems like a great tool, easy to use and free....
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote