Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 18:06   #46

Boat: Cal 2-27 - Restless Soul
Share the Wealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
We have Kindles now.
One each.
Our goal was to just have a book to read. Not to do all the other neat stuff like navigation etc.

A zip-lock takes care of the water part. Works fine.

Our Kindles have paid for themselves in less than six months.......at Amazon prices.

I found a site for 40.00 a month and unlimited downloads. I bought a lifetime membership for 125.00 and have downloaded easily over 100 books from the site this year. The cost goes down with each book I get. If they don't have it you can request it (for a credit - lifetime gets 3 credits a month ) and usually in less than a week - yup - an email miraculously appears from "out there somewhere".

The Kindle marks the last spot you were reading for you. You don't need to fold down the corner. I can mark anything in the book. I can make notes about the passage too and don't have to write in the margins. This stays on my Kindle and does not go to you with the book if I give it to you. The Kindle is not a scanner but neither is a paper book oh, you mean look at a picture? Sure I can. Charts and stuff go off the page so you have to take 12 seconds (or less ) to convert to landscape mode.

Feel and smell are hard to compare. But the ease of use, lightness, ability to hold and use with one or no hands, lack of "holding" cramps,etc. I suggest it is a "sorta try it, you might like it" kinda thing........
ebooks can be traded by email or direct plug-in. Works like a thumb drive. Pretty dang easy if you ask me. I can email you the whole 22 books of the Aubry Maturin series in just a little bit.

But I have not been able to get
Defining the wind by Scott Huler
Man is that a great book. Got tired holding the dang thing but it was worth the read. The site publisher does not have it. Oh well. Can't have everything.
So what is the web site?
I agree with everything said here. There is something about the smell and feel of an old book that can't be duplicated. I've got several leather bound editions that I'll pick up and started reading just so I can feel and smell them; however, I wouldn't trade my Kindle for anything. I'm sailing on a 27', so space is limited. I can hold about 1500 books and magazines on something smaller then my laptop. What could be better then that?
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 18:57   #47

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
THe only down side I see. I like leaving books I enjoyed in Marinas. No way am I leaving a kindle on the donor shelf. Less sharing but maybe more books as people empty their shelves. THats good for everyone. My preference is the I pad with kindle app

It would be neat if there was just one thumb drive on the shelf. Most books are 350 to 900kb.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 19:56   #48

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
iPad. Love it.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 21:44   #49

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
I chose the Sony for the simple reason that you can borrow books from a library account. So nice to be able to read different books than the normal book exchange fare.
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 10:45   #50

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
If you plan to check out library ebooks, just be aware that the Kindle doesn't do that. The Sony and Nook do.
Actually, that's not a problem at all. The native Kindle doesn't support the EPUB format, but it is trivially easy to convert with a free tool that every Kindle owner should know about... Calibre.

(It can also convert lots of other file formats, manage your library, and do other tricks...)

I have a Kindle 3 for my boat, and am in love with it... with the WiFi and 3G, coupled with smooth browser and search integration, it's the "knowledge gadget" that is always with me. PDF support could be better in complex documents, but as a reader and reference device it is spectacular.

I'm importing my whole library of manuals and system documentation via a Fujitsu ScanSnap, and carrying copies on the Kindle.

Steve
Old 14-11-2010, 11:59   #51

Any good websites for free downloads of ebooks? I own a lot of books like World Cruising Routes and other boat books I would also like to have in a version I could pull up on a kindle or ipad.
Anyone have any good thoughts on this?
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 12:06   #52

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Another site for e-book conversion is online-convert.com

It not only converts e-book formats, it is also a free audio, video, image, and document converter.

Only used it once, and it worked fine.

Marshall
Old 14-11-2010, 12:22   #53

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post
Any good websites for free downloads of ebooks? I own a lot of books like World Cruising Routes and other boat books I would also like to have in a version I could pull up on a kindle or ipad.
Anyone have any good thoughts on this?
Lots of resources are in the Mobileread forums... and here are some free books links to get you started:

MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have

Cheers!
Steve
Old 14-11-2010, 12:27   #54

Microship- thank you very much!
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 18:47   #55

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Lots of resources are in the Mobileread forums... and here are some free books links to get you started:

MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have

Cheers!
Steve

Yea man! Thanks.

Is thier search for a book ability about as bad as this sites?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 15:18   #56

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
We have Kindles now.

But I have not been able to get
Defining the wind by Scott Huler
Man is that a great book. Got tired holding the dang thing but it was worth the read. The site publisher does not have it. Oh well. Can't have everything.
Found it here in 'Kindle Edition' Amazon.com: Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale, and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science into Poetry (9781400048847): Scott Huler: Books

Maybe there is a reason you didn't want to go through Amazon though. Looks like a great book!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 16:22   #57

Have 2 Nooks. Not as much fun as sex, but still pretty darn cool. Chose Nook over Kindle because of the ability to download books from our local library, anywhere we have Internet. Check out "Project Gutenberg" and "ManyBooks.net" for lots of free downloads of public domain (out of copyright) books.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 20:17   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I just downloaded and tested (quickly) the MS eReader and Kindle for PC.

MS reader wont load files from Project Gutenberg.

Kindle for PC will load Project Gutenberg books.

MS reader doesn't seem to have any free titles, although they say they do, but I can't find them. Anyone have suggestions on this?

Amazon does have many free titles.

I haven't tried any other PC eReaders. Looked at IPad and Sony eReader the other day. IPad is nice but to big for just a reader, IMO. Sony was nice. Would like to try it in the sunlight.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 20:22   #59

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
The wife and I each got a second generation KOBO for our 19th anniversary. I like it, it came pre-loaded with 100 books....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 07:55   #60

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hello..
An iPad can do a lot of things onboard, the other ereader cannot : You'll get a lot of information about crossing the atlantic with an iPad on this link (in english, french, etc...)

Traverser l’Atlantique avec un iPad – Navigation Mac

Jacques2
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote