Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 14:39   #76

Re: Any photographers with DSLR's around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
A little off topic maybe but does anyone use the GIMP for photo editing and what do you think of it.
Years ago. FREE, but not as intuitive as I would like.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:43   #77
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
A little off topic maybe but does anyone use the GIMP for photo editing and what do you think of it.
I've played around with it but don't know what I'm doing well enough to judge whether it's any good or not. I use it to take some pics of a prospective paint job, and then change the hull color and striping in the pics around to show the owner what potential color combinations might look like. I've found it a useful tool for that purpose, but it's a PITA to do. I'm sure there must be something better out there, but perhaps I'm not using it right, that wouldn't surprise me at all. I have come up with some really nice color combos this way which the owner would have been too afraid to try otherwise.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:04   #78

Boat: Traditional 30

I am a lazy point and shoot kinda guy. My plan for "the trip" is to use a GoPro. It's waterproof, designed to be robust, HD video and I can mount it anywhere on the boat without having to buy extra kit. Plus its much cheaper than a DSLR.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:11   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

@twisted: we basically got the same gear, just the brand is different The D700 is a real performer, like the 5D is for me. Pro's can't see images from these are not from the top models, so they accept them as top models too haha

@Hopcar: dektol? really? haha. I am so glad I'm out of dark rooms because I was in there for my work too (printing electronic circuit boards) and got really fed up with it

@Deepfrz: I always welcome open source software but here it just won't do. The big reason is lack of RAW file support. It's like having to work with a print instead of the not-yet-developed roll of photo-negative film.

Cut them up, bring them home:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:18   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I am a lazy point and shoot kinda guy. My plan for "the trip" is to use a GoPro. It's waterproof, designed to be robust, HD video and I can mount it anywhere on the boat without having to buy extra kit. Plus its much cheaper than a DSLR.
Check out the Canon Powershot D10 too. Waterproof, Shockproof, relatively cheap!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-01-2012, 15:21   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the shortcomings were. I've used GIMP for a few things but found it very difficult, although the documentation is finally getting a bit better.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:26   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About polarizing filters, here's a prime example where it would have made a huge impact: a water strider sitting on the... water Looks like a mirror now, with a circular polarizer we could have looked straight through it!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-01-2012, 15:28   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks, I wasn't sure what the shortcomings were. I've used GIMP for a few things but found it very difficult, although the documentation is finally getting a bit better.
Download Lightroom (new beta for v4 is on-line) or Aperture and give that a spin. The editing features go far enough for all but extreme editing. Try to find bargains for this software, like upgrading stuff that came with camera's etc.

EDIT: forgot the pic Tell me what bird it is

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-01-2012, 22:55   #84

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I also have the GoPro, the case it goes into is tough as nails, it is a tiny camera. Fixed lens of course, wide angle so great for in the saloon shots, will make your interior look bigger than what it is. I think that case is good to a least 50' underwater, maybe 100', and all the different mounts they give you will allow creative mounting. Video, if shot at 1080P HD and played back through your 1080P TV is very good. Loaded to YouTube with all of their compression does not give a good example of what the camera can do.

Example, not sailing related.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 23:27   #85

Because of my budget I chose nikon p7100 overcanon g12.$350 before tax. Better image quality than g12 but is a slower shooter. 28-200 mm lens is most tele available for advanced point and shoot. Practically most everything adjustable with dial or button without going into menu. Built in ND filter equal to 3 f-stops. You do have to go into menu to turn on anti distortion. Wide angle teleconverter and underwater housing available but each cost about as much as the camera. Probably better to buy something else for shooting in nasty conditions.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:04   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I also have the GoPro, the case it goes into is tough as nails, it is a tiny camera. Fixed lens of course, wide angle so great for in the saloon shots, will make your interior look bigger than what it is. I think that case is good to a least 50' underwater, maybe 100', and all the different mounts they give you will allow creative mounting. Video, if shot at 1080P HD and played back through your 1080P TV is very good. Loaded to YouTube with all of their compression does not give a good example of what the camera can do.

Example, not sailing related.
Ohh dear, undertaking I don't know the legalities of it over where you are, but regardless it is not a very sensible thing to do. Looks like the people mover was starting to move over
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:16   #87

Last summer I wanted to mount my GoPro on the the boat and film a time lapse of a days sail between islands. I never got around to doing it unfortunately.

I did however last winter at least test out the GoPro and time lapse which I thought worked well considering it was a mundane activity I filmed
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:29   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr
Because of my budget I chose nikon p7100 overcanon g12.$350 before tax. Better image quality than g12 but is a slower shooter. 28-200 mm lens is most tele available for advanced point and shoot. Practically most everything adjustable with dial or button without going into menu. Built in ND filter equal to 3 f-stops. You do have to go into menu to turn on anti distortion. Wide angle teleconverter and underwater housing available but each cost about as much as the camera. Probably better to buy something else for shooting in nasty conditions.
No no no better price I agree but a straight clone with the same sensor and a so-so lens does not create better image quality of course. The P7000 was a true failure to attack Canon's succesful G line but this P7100 has got those bugs straightened out.

The myths about better quality of Canon vs Nikon are just that... Myths. Nobody is gonna tell the pictures apart, not even experts.

Price is the only thing that will keep this class of cameras alive with the new über-line of G1-X making it's entry. Canon is gonna kill their own G12 with it

ciao!
Nick.

Old 29-01-2012, 06:52   #89

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

We use a simple, waterproof point-and-shoot and the GoPro. We find the GoPro to be excellent for lazy people like us. When out kayaking or hiking, we put it on the head strap and leave it to take a photo every 5 seconds. In the evening there will be a couple of thousand photos and we keep the best 10. Some unusual and candid photos have resulted.

With the GoPro we got involved with kite aerial photography (KAP) and I bought a high thrust kite for the purpose. We trialled it while landsailing across the Atacama. We simply clamp the GoPro to a piece of PVC tube through which the kite string passes, switch on the video or the continuous photo shoot, let the kite up, attach it to a suitable spot on the mast or chassis and away we go.

Initially it was jumping around too much so we hung some ballast off the GoPro to stabilise the movement.

The beauty of the GoPro on the kite is that it is like a perfect aerial photo shoot from a helicopter with the additional advantages that it is always following us and always aimed at us. We can adjust the distance either with the kite string or later with photo editing.

The next stage for us is to do it from the boat but.... I can´t find the kite!

Anyone else tried the GoPro on a kite from their boat?
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 07:17   #90
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ohh dear, undertaking I don't know the legalities of it over where you are, but regardless it is not a very sensible thing to do. Looks like the people mover was starting to move over
Hey, there was a 'keep right' sign just before that spot, so he just followed the signs...
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote