Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 17:26   #1006

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Sunrise on the ICW, Dismal Swamp

Pasquotank river? Nice to see my home waters while I'm on the other side of the world. Thx, lovely pics.

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 18:52   #1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpolar View Post
Vancouver day breakAttachment 97751

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

That so doesn't look like a photo! It is amazing.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:54   #1008

Just picked up my new camera. Will order an ikelite dive housing for it. Obviously not for when that lens is attached
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1424965915.817059.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	97950

Old 26-02-2015, 11:33   #1009
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Just picked up my new camera. Will order an ikelite dive housing for it. Obviously not for when that lens is attached
Attachment 97950

That is the 100-400L lens that we also use for most wildlife pictures. I have no clue what camera body that is... we have the wheel on the other side.

What lens are you looking at for underwater? Not sure what fits inside a housing but I would think the 100mm macro (which is also a great non-macro lens) would be nice. It's rather big though....
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:06   #1010
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
While setting up a portable studio for head shots yesterday I played around with a glass Buddha bust. The lighting was typical with a Paul Buff parabolic umbrella slightly overhead to camera right for a soft key light, a homemade foam board reflector in clamshell position and a snooted side light to provide separation (it is aimed to fall on the cheek without lighting the nose.) Yongnuo YN-622N-TX transmitter on Nikon D3 triggers an off-camera SB800 flash on a Yongnuo YN-622 receiver which then triggers slaved Alien Bee studio lights.

Now to talk the GF into posing, the tricky part.
Great shot..great technique, use of lighting...great subject matter..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:08   #1011
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Sunlight through a wave, on the Atlantic coast of Nevis, West Indies.

Nikon D3000, Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR lens.

Nice..
Old 26-02-2015, 12:15   #1012
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
That's a very nice shot! You might enjoy trying it a bit differently if you want to make it more 3D. Try turning the bust a bit toward the key light, reduce the fill by a considerable amount, and ditch the back light altogether.

Separation from the background is not necessarily a requirement for parts of the subject and you might like the result. I've always been a big fan of James Wong Howe's, "never state what you can imply," advice.

I do enjoy the technical precision of your shot and I think the "dead center Pete" framing is appropriate for it, but if you try these other things, it will probably benefit from the old "Rule of Thirds" business, even though the Golden Mean 1.6:1 is really a more accurate description.

I've added a shot that illustrates; it's a still from video.

As for the girlfriend, I can't image she would refuse.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful shot!

Good shooting!
Leo
If I had read all the replys before I posted I would not have commented other than to say " great shot" on Blues Buddha photo ...Your GFs photo is great use of light and technique also..
Old 26-02-2015, 12:22   #1013
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
ICW shipyard
cool shot...
Old 26-02-2015, 14:46   #1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That is the 100-400L lens that we also use for most wildlife pictures. I have no clue what camera body that is... we have the wheel on the other side.

What lens are you looking at for underwater? Not sure what fits inside a housing but I would think the 100mm macro (which is also a great non-macro lens) would be nice. It's rather big though....
Yep, 100-400L. Bought specifically a couple of years ago for the boat.

The camera is the 100D or SL1, the smallest APS-C camera from Canon. I was going to get the 7D2 & UW housing, but then a guy in a dive shop showed his 100D & Ikelite housing. So compact making it easy to fly with and requires a much smaller case when storing onboard.

Ikelite | Underwater Housing for Canon EOS 100D Rebel SL1

For the price of the 7D2 housing without a port, I can get the 100D housing which comes with the port, the 100D and will have enough change left over, which when added to the money needed to buy a port for the 7D, I'll probably have enough to buy a DS51 strobe.

I will still buy the 7D2. I realised that if I took the 7D2 diving, I'd probably end up buying the 18-55STM and 10-18STM for the diving anyway as the STM are great for video shooting.

I need to buy the 7D2 soon as there is a huge anomaly in Canon pricing at the moment. Normally Sweden is massively expensive, much more than UK, Germany and the US is cheaper again. Right now I can get the 7D2 from a store in Stockholm for the same price as B&H. The Stockholm price includes the 25% sales tax. I paid $450 for the 100D/SL1 & 18-55STM and at B&H it's $499

This pricing won't last and in case the Swedish prices go up because the currency dropped so much, then I want to buy now

*note* Ikelite are selling the 100D housing for $1200 and a kit that includes the Camera and 18-55 for $1950 which means they are trying to charge $750 for $499 worth of camera gear LOL
Old 26-02-2015, 14:57   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Whilst the 100D housing does not support the normal SLR ports (uses the compact camera ports) There is a flat port that when combined with the extender allows the use of the 100mm macro
Old 26-02-2015, 15:07   #1016

Size comparison
1Dx, 100D/SL1, 5D2

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1424991959.262479.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	97979

Old 23-04-2015, 08:41   #1017

A question for the Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom users, have you or will you upgrade to the Creative Cloud version?

I will not, I refuse to sign up to subscription payment software. Whilst I tend to skip one generation of PS, I've always upgraded LR the moment it's available and often have used the Beta version.

If someone hacks CC so that it works without a subscription, then I will use that, otherwise once LR & PS stop working with future generation camera files or MAC OS then I will jump ship.

I've stopped with MS Office for the same reason.

Old 23-04-2015, 13:30   #1018

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

The subscription scheme works very well for me because I'm a very heavy user of so many of their applications and I don't worry about updates.

If it's not cost effective for you or you're simply philosophically opposed to subscriptions, you might give GIMP a try.

I've not used it, but it seems to have a similar toolset, it gets good reviews, and it's free. I believe it is platform agnostic as well.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 19:19   #1019

Here are some of my pics from the last three months or so. My trusty old Canon G9 died, I think the salt got to it after 7 or 8 years of marine use. So I had to drag my 7D out even for snapshots and I don't like getting that out when the weather is inclement as it mostly was! Looking for a replacement compact, thinking of selling the SLR and getting one of the high end compacts and a tough waterproof job. In my heart of hearts I know I'll use them more than the SLR.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 22:53   #1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
The subscription scheme works very well for me because I'm a very heavy user of so many of their applications and I don't worry about updates.

If it's not cost effective for you or you're simply philosophically opposed to subscriptions, you might give GIMP a try.

I've not used it, but it seems to have a similar toolset, it gets good reviews, and it's free. I believe it is platform agnostic as well.

Fair winds,

Leo
philosophically opposed to subscriptions (also never buy phones on contract) and as I'm about to be full time liveaboard I don't want costs coming in especially as I'm not a heavy user.