Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 03:36   #61

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Re: Any photographers with DSLR's around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Your new portable studio lights, question, are they flat panel LED arrays that really kick out the lumens without drinking much electricity?
no LED. They are strobe units so they put out a high powered flash. Te LED arrays I think ar only used for video when continuous lighting is needed. They don't come close to the power of the strobes.

One of my battery packs and a normal flash on location

The end result. This photo was published full page in a Swedish blokes magazine as Denice was voted the 2nd sexiest single in Sweden She later went on to be runner up twice in the Swedish Miss Universe competition and this year represented Sweden in the Miss International competition (poor mans miss universe). She came top 15.

She has mentioned that this year she may join me in Greece on my boat, but as she is a young woman who's mind changes regularly and is unpredictable I have no idea whether I can get to combine my model shooting and sailing hobbies

Old 28-01-2012, 04:28   #62
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Amateurs boast about megapixels. Professionals talk about lenses. True artists worry about light.

Not mine. Heard from an artist..

Old 28-01-2012, 04:37   #63

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Amateurs boast about megapixels. Professionals talk about lenses. True artists worry about light.

It is quite true. The megapixel race on mobile phones is so laughable

Usually on photography forums when people start asking about upgrading their cameras we always highlight the need to upgrade your lenses. There is no point getting a Canon 1Ds3 or a 5D2 if you only have basic lenses.

Artists can get art out of a mobile phone cameras.
Old 28-01-2012, 05:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post

you do not have to be rocket scientist to figure it out. best professional camera will take rubish picture in the "dark". actualy, it is more important bits then pixels. i have camera with same numbers of pixels but one is with with 12 bits per pixel and other one with 8bits per pixel.guess wwich one making "better" picture.
and i am not even amateur let alone proffesional.
Old 28-01-2012, 05:16   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hi Rebel.... you cant buy a G12... with your nickname you must buy at least a Rebel

But seriously, do not spend money on the G12. The camera you are looking for is the Canon G1-X. It has a sensor that is six times the size of the G12 and it will rival the entry level DSLR's and has a serious lens too. The only catch is that you will have to wait until March 31, when it is released. It'll give you time to save up for the price difference

The G1-X changes the game, exact fit for what you want!

ciao!
Nick.
When faced with the same choice as Rebel, we ended up with a G12. Our reasons:

- wanted to get better images out of a camera when compared to a point 'n shoot, but didn't want to spend thousands on an SLR + lense kits + tripods + proper bag + etc.
- wanted to get underwater housing for this camera. SLR underwater housings are anywhere in $2000 - $????? range. G12 underwater housing is $230

We still got some lenses to play with and are very happy with the overall package so far (really love the HDR mode).

Most likely there is a SLR somewhere in our future, but for now we're happy with the G12 (sorry, s/v Jedi).
Old 28-01-2012, 05:34   #66
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha

When faced with the same choice as Rebel, we ended up with a G12. Our reasons:

- wanted to get better images out of a camera when compared to a point 'n shoot, but didn't want to spend thousands on an SLR + lense kits + tripods + proper bag + etc.
- wanted to get underwater housing for this camera. SLR underwater housings are anywhere in $2000 - $????? range. G12 underwater housing is $230

We still got some lenses to play with and are very happy with the overall package so far (really love the HDR mode).

Most likely there is a SLR somewhere in our future, but for now we're happy with the G12 (sorry, s/v Jedi).
Don't be sorry The G12 is a good camera. But the G1-X is NOT a DSLR... think of it as a point and shoot with just the lens it comes with... but with results that rival entry level DSLR's. The reason is that it's sensor is much bigger, 6 times as big as that of the G12, but still smaller than that of the Rebel. It's lens is also serious.

This results in a slightly bigger unit than the G12 and a bit higher price tag too. But the reviewers that got their hands on pre poduction models or early production models are praising it and I think the G1-X and similar models from other brands will kill off the current generation of high-end P&S cameras, while at the same time the iPhone and it's cousins are about to finish off the low end of P&S....

I hope to get to hold and play with he G1-X in April, and process some pictures from it.

For underwater I use a different camera anyway. Currently a Canon A710-IS but that is a dinosaur now. Still takes pretty pics though and affordable housing. My iPhone takes better pics but I keep grabbing the 710?!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Don't be sorry The G12 is a good camera. But the G1-X is NOT a DSLR... think of it as a point and shoot with just the lens it comes with... but with results that rival entry level DSLR's. The reason is that it's sensor is much bigger, 6 times as big as that of the G12, but still smaller than that of the Rebel. It's lens is also serious.

This results in a slightly bigger unit than the G12 and a bit higher price tag too. But the reviewers that got their hands on pre poduction models or early production models are praising it and I think the G1-X and similar models from other brands will kill off the current generation of high-end P&S cameras, while at the same time the iPhone and it's cousins are about to finish off the low end of P&S....

I hope to get to hold and play with he G1-X in April, and process some pictures from it.

For underwater I use a different camera anyway. Currently a Canon A710-IS but that is a dinosaur now. Still takes pretty pics though and affordable housing. My iPhone takes better pics but I keep grabbing the 710?!

ciao!
Nick.
From the previews it does sound very nice! Though dpreview claims that it won't have "interchangeable lenses". I wonder if it will have a lense adapter, same as G12 - a polarised lense is a must for us for sailing in sunny locations (though I did use polarised sunglasses lense in front of a point 'n shoot before - thankfully my glasses were big enough not to notice distortions )
Old 28-01-2012, 13:12   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Nice pix all. I have a Nikon D90 and a few lenses. I use the300mm most of the time . However I find a small coolpix or cannon is so much easier to carry around that we use them for more spontanious shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	36566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0065.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	36567  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 13:31   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

The smaller cameras with the 10 x zooms are getting incredibly good But a long lens is the only way I know to get depth of field that I like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0185.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	36570  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 13:42   #70
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha

From the previews it does sound very nice! Though dpreview claims that it won't have "interchangeable lenses". I wonder if it will have a lense adapter, same as G12 - a polarised lense is a must for us for sailing in sunny locations (though I did use polarised sunglasses lense in front of a point 'n shoot before - thankfully my glasses were big enough not to notice distortions )
I'm sure polarizers will be available. Check out the official intro video:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-01-2012, 13:57   #71

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Just getting started with my Nikon D7000. I have the kit 18-55, a 35 mm 1.8 prime, and a 70-300 zoom along with the sb-700 flash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1420.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	36571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1444.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	36572  

ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:00   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I found to be using the polariser much less now that we shoot digital than before. When I find the pola should have been there ... just tweak the image somewhat in the editor et voila! Not acceptable for fine print but just OK for the screen (which is how 99% of our pictures end up).

The other thing I noticed is that I never use the viewer anymore (except when shooting seagulls and frigate birds ;-). Find composing much easier on the flipout screen. Sort of like looking into the viewer was looking at things while looking into the screen is way more like looking at the image that I want to register.

How much can the G1X drop price in the first year? 25%? Asking now is 700 quids, not overpriced but well, you know, I retired before I earned my pension, so a do some shopping around ;-).

Cheers,
b.
Old 28-01-2012, 14:50   #73

This is indeed a fun diversion...

My own interest comes and goes in waves, but the waves keep coming, so I consider it a life-long hobby. I happened onto Nikon gear early on (early 70's), and I think like most people and have stuck with it. I've got nothing against Canon - I just think we all get used to whatever we start with.

My interests have always focused on nature, both full size and macro, but I was a member of a photo club for a few years with monthly competitions including assigned subject which I found very educational.

I made the switch to digital, auto focus, and auto exposure all at once, and have never looked back. Auto-focus for me was huge - all of the sudden I was able to get pictures that I never could before. The move started with a D70, then a D200, and then I jumped on the D700 for full frame when it came out. I like the smaller sensor size for telephoto work, but in all other respects prefer full frame. Lenses range from 14mm up to 600mm.

But I still love the old manual focus equipment. I never use them, and likely never will again, but consider them works of art at this point. One day I even want to put them on display just to enjoy looking at them. A year or so ago I was in a local shop and spotted an old Nikkormat which is the camera I learned on. I bought it on the spot just for nastalgia, and have since added an F2. My own cameras were (still are) an FM and an F3HP. I've got most of the old classic lenses too. 20mm, 28mm, 50mm, 105mm, 180mm. I had a 500f4 for a number of years, but sold it to buy a 200-400f4 for the new digital gear.
Old 28-01-2012, 15:31   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I miss Dektol.
I liked being able to sit in front of the computer with a beer in my hand iwth the photo editor running.

Had enough Dektol when I sponsored the high school yearbook.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:33   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A little off topic maybe but does anyone use the GIMP for photo editing and what do you think of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: