Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 07:26   #301

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Nice stuff guys...keep it up!

Old 18-04-2012, 12:14   #302
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We're amateurs at best! Let's see some more of yours, Gary.

Old 19-04-2012, 21:49   #303
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

ciao!
Nick.
Old 13-05-2012, 15:15   #304

After great consideration I am now looking at joining the world of DSLR's, sadly I am hardly in the market to spend loads of dosh, so I am at present looking and deliberating on the Canon 1100D, I would appreciate people's comments on this, yes I know it is the 'el cheapo' of the DSLR's but I cannot justify spending much more at the moment.
Thanks.
Old 13-05-2012, 15:54   #305

Boat: 5 m Bolger runabout, plus a Starwind 860 power tri under construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby View Post
...I am at present looking and deliberating on the Canon 1100D, I would appreciate people's comments on this, yes I know it is the 'el cheapo' of the DSLR's but I cannot justify spending much more at the moment.
Hi Holby,

The main downsides of the T3 / 1100D are that its housing feels a bit cheap (smooth plastic), its video mode is pretty crude, and you can't get to its battery or card when it's on a tripod.

All the important bits- the sensor, the focus system, the metering programs- are perfectly fine.

Couple the thing with a 35mm f/2 or a 50mm f/1.8 and the odds are you'll be quite content for some time. (The 18-55 that comes with the kit can be a bit frustrating, being limited to f/5.6 at the long end.)
Old 13-05-2012, 16:14   #306
Marine Service Provider

If you're going to go with a lower end dSLR, I'd probably go with a Nikon. I'm a Canon user, but I'm not a fan of the Rebel line. As marshmat said, they feel cheap, almost like you could snap it in half with your bare hands.
Old 13-05-2012, 16:30   #307

Thanks guys, will have a look at the Nikon low end entry....:-)
Old 13-05-2012, 21:31   #308

Boat: Alberg 30

These days I'm looking at moving away from DSLR. The smaller tech keeps getting better and better! I've got a K-5 with a 18-50DA* and 35mm Macro Limited and then a cheap sigma zoom for the long end. Backup body is a K-R. Great image quality, but they changed something about the body, and I've had nothing but trouble with it. They finally fixed all the things that annoyed me about the K-7 and then it's been one button or knob sticking after another. The only time I ever forked out the cash for a new body too.
That being said for someone starting out, I'd go used and higher end than you can afford new, newer sensors are valuable though, that technology changes so quickly. Pentax builds them tough, I dropped my K-5 lens down onto a concrete floor in the studio (I've got issues with the new grip design, even the K-R fits my hand perfectly, but something about that K-5 is hard to hold on to, I haven't put my finger on it yet, I had a few close calls before that, which I've never experience on the K bodies shooting in any condition, including one handed off my motorbike, never mind in a nice warm studio), the lens won't zoom through the full range but the body was just fine.

Honestly though, 90% of the time I would be just as happy with a high end point and shoot probably happier.
The exceptions being the extremes: pitch black night, something really far away.
I spend more time kicking myself for not having a camera out and ready to shoot than I do for the fact that my point and shoot didn't shoot as well at ISO6400.

The OM-D has really caught my attention, weatherproofing, good lenses available too.
Size and form factor are great IMO, though I'm waiting to hold it to really decide. The Fuji X-pro has some appeal too, but I've been burnt by going for amazing sensor quality over usability before.

The only innovation in the DSLRs is in the sensors, and not much of that is at the lower-mid end these days IMO. They're too concerned with high ISO capabilities since people turned to that once the manufacturers started pushing megapixels over image quality, to bother with making a quality sensor.

The innovations in the point and shoot/MIRC cameras are amazing, daylight viewable screens, articulation, better sealing, better anti shake, better AF.

While I would certainly love the new Pentax medium format digital, or the 5D MkIII, in the affordable realm I'm putting my money on the 4/3rds system, a few years ago I wasn't impressed, but it keeps getting better. I wish someone had come up with a standard for full frame or APS-C in small bodies, but I believe it's unlikely.
Old 13-05-2012, 22:05   #309

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I bought a Nikon d-40 a few years ago and we're really happy with it. I had to go Nikon because of the metal lens mount where Canon uses plastic. I drop stuff sometimes.
Old 14-05-2012, 05:58   #310

Hobby,
Think about a Canon EOS 40D or 50D. Theses are great cameras and can be purchased on EBay for 350-600 depending on which model you go for. Lots of cluck for the buck.

Also, you really can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon.
Old 14-05-2012, 06:04   #311
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a non-dslr here but in search for an updated model (maybe the G1X, but read on) we always find their lenses limiting - some have no, or poor, macro, others have no wide angle. A cheapest dslr body can be used with proper macro and wide lenses. So we might join the dslr crowd (again) pretty soon.

The mirror less things would be nice but they tend to be more expensive than a dslr, also they tend to have less lens choice and higher lens prices.

b.
Old 15-05-2012, 14:13   #312

SeaCap
I am looking on Ebay, at a 50D I have been warned about possible damage to sensors, is this a common problem and is it cheap to get repaired?
Old 15-05-2012, 14:30   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby View Post
SeaCap
I am looking on Ebay, at a 50D I have been warned about possible damage to sensors, is this a common problem and is it cheap to get repaired?
I always check out how many deals the seller has successfully completed. For example I buy and sell equipment for my business on Ebay once in awhile. I have done about 50 or so deals. I have never had a problem with equipment I have purchased. And Paypal has guarantees in case the deal goes bad. So pay through Paypal and use a credit card.

No it's not a common problem. In fact this is the first time I have ever heard it mentioned. Good luck!
Old 16-05-2012, 13:28   #314

Boat: Alberg 30

Just heard of a new release from Pentax, should be more details today. First from them at entry level with weather seals. K30. Might be good for on a boat.
Old 17-05-2012, 16:06   #315

Boat: Norseman 447 C/C

We really enjoyed your post...we have both a Canon 50D as well as a 7D and have really enjoyed all the many opportunities to use them....that being said, it seems you are really into photography...well check this out.... Tough TG-1 iHS. We have one of their earlier models that is waterproof and is a must have when we are off in the dink or in the water...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: