Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 14:36   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Any photographers with DSLR's around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Haha of everybody I expected to pop up on the dark side of Nikon, you were not on that list Hud

You have to completely ignore anything like which brand is better or not because they all are similar. The newest model in each class is often the best so that hops over among all the manufacturers. That doesn't change anything about you being on the dark side of course

Us light side Jedi's aboard ehrmmm.. Jedi, also spend time on the www.dgrin.com forum, where the experts teach us and we keep trying. We even participate in contests there which are great fun! I wasn't even last haha.

In humid environment: buy a Pelican case or similar for storage. This gives complete protection when not in use, which is most of the time.

Download and install Adobe Lightroom and give it a free test drive. It takes the pain out of organizing photo's and handling RAW files. It also handles all but extreme editing tasks, geotagging, uploading on-line etc. well worth it's price, a no-brainer, although some prefer Apple Aperture instead.

The best on-line service is SmugMug.com. These are the same fellows that run Dgrin. All photo's I link are straight from SmugMug. For my blog, I can even request photo size in pixels like 470 pixels wide. Smugmug serves the picture resizing it on the fly!

ciao!
Nick.

99% of the time a good SLR, with appropriate lens will take a better picture that most of us. Even the best photographer will have to take his or her time and have the right conditions to get the best out of a camera.

Nikon I like because I have never had a problem with one. Dragged my bag full of Nikons all over N & S America for several years and 30 years later they still work. I have several friends that are pros and they all use Nikons. Must be a reason.

Old 27-01-2012, 14:49   #17
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo
Great photos Nick. When I go cruising, I'll have Pentax gear. Currently a K20D and K200D (both waterproof) plus lots of lenses.
There's Pentax... Who's still missing? Waiting for the first Sony to come up

I do read reviews etc. of Pentax but never actually used one. Show us some of your shots!

View from Isla Galeta; this is the full sensor Canon 5D Mk2 with the 24-105mm f4L kit lens:

ciao!
Nick.

Old 27-01-2012, 14:52   #18
Occasional User

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Thanks for starting the thread Nick.

I'm just getting into all this so I got an entry level, so they tell me and based on the $$ I'm sure they are right, Canon Rebel T1i w/ a 18-55 lens. So far I'm pleased.

Someone mentioned the "light" version of Photoshop as good software for the price. Any comment?

And thanks for the Pelican case suggestion. I think I'd better get one ASAP. The humidity here in Thailand is a killer.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:01   #19
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed
we have the 18-135 and the 18-55 water resistant lenses, and are going to pick up a fish eye lens. a wide angle would be nice, but not in the budget..yet. we're just starting out so patience is needed. cruising first, camera second.
You can make standard wide angle shots with fish eye lenses. What you need is the software and lens calibration profile for your fish eye lens. I have seen Adobe Lightroom do this in seconds!

Before buying the fish eye, check if the profile for that lens is available. I guess there is plenty choice for your type lens mount.

This is a yellow-headed Caracara. When you look this bird up on Wikipedia, you see another picture of it with the s/v Jedi watermark in the corner for these long range shots we use a Canon 7D with a 70-200mm f2.8L IS and the 1.4x extender. This gives a 35mm equivalent of 448mm. It's a big heavy thing to carry around though, so we use a Black Rapid single-attachment sling just like Navy Seals carry their guns

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:04   #20

Boat: too many

Its just me Doodles, but while we are waiting for Nick to reply, here is my 0.02 worth. Stay with the small format digital, much cheaper, res up to 12mb, but here is the kicker I like the most, with the small format (ccd) you get more bang for any given focal length. Greater zoom than the DSLR. On my Linhof (4"X5" sheet film) the standard lens was 180 mm, on a smaller format 2 1/4 camera, 135 mm, on a 35mm SLR, around 52 mm. So as you can see, if your digital chip can give monster resolution yet remain small in format, any lens has a greater range, not to mention its is cheaper to have a very fast f 1.2 lens in the smaller format than a lens that fast in a larger format.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 15:05   #21

Ya beat me Nick.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:25   #22
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Nick,

Your pictures are awesome, great composure, and use of fill flash for the ants. Did you get any shots of Laura Dekker when she was aboard Jedi? I started photography with a folding 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 Weltex back in 1960. My dad taught me darkroom techniques and then I moved up to a 4X5 sheet film Linhof. Great camera, with the ability to adjust both film plane and lens plane, creativity is unlimited. My first business was Primo Photography back in 1971. Today, I'm just point and shoot with a Sony Cyber shot digital. I chose Sony because IMHO, they have the best image (not digital) stabilization of any point and shoot. That is handy for hand held, long focal length shots and shots while driving. I use this camera to take pictures at hot rod events and while I'm driving my hot rod.

This is my '23 Track-T.

The camera I am using

The above picture of me was taken by Mary Ann at the same time I was taking her picture, northbound 395 in Nevada.
Ah, cars and planes

The flash used for the ant shot is a ring flash that sits at the end of the 100mm macro lens. I'm very happy that we bought the EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro lens as it gets as much use as the 70-200. The image stabilization is also superb.

Yes, Sony is at the center of things currently and their sensors are very popular. I belive the Canon G series use a Sony sensor too!

Here's a dragon posing his smile in front of the macro:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:30   #23
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Nikon D7000 with Nikor 18-200 f 3-5-5.6. Want to add a 400 for the longer shots but really have to use a tripod with that lense, tricky on a boat.

Have been a Nikon nut for years and still have a couple of F2s and a bag full of lenses. If there are any other old Nikon owners out there, there's a guy online that will adapt your old Nikon lenses to the new digital bodies. You give up the auto focus but, depending on the old lense model, still get most of the other functions. Wouldn't do it for most lenses but I have a classic Nikon 105 portrait lense and a really fast f 1.2 normal that I would like to keep.

When I win the lottery I'm drooling over the D3 series.
Hey Skip, start posting some pics!

Tell me about image stabilization with Nikon. The Canons allow handheld 400mm with ease using IS so I assume Nikon has that taken care if too?

Jumping Spider ready to go

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:31   #24

i have some, any good...

Old 27-01-2012, 15:40   #25
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac

99% of the time a good SLR, with appropriate lens will take a better picture that most of us. Even the best photographer will have to take his or her time and have the right conditions to get the best out of a camera.

Nikon I like because I have never had a problem with one. Dragged my bag full of Nikons all over N & S America for several years and 30 years later they still work. I have several friends that are pros and they all use Nikons. Must be a reason.
Ah, do I detect a Sith with red glowing light saber around here?! no worries, I like Nikon too, but selected Canon for the line of lenses I wanted. Worlds top photographers are split over the brands too, although they tend to be conservative now and then. The biggest difference is the way the menu works, quality and longevity is the same. Your friends all have Nikon... that's no surprise, when there's one Sith, whole nests are nearby Similar Canon groups are just as prevelant or Canon would not sell their gear

Clean your feet!

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
I sure like this one. Drives home the point of light early morning or very late afternoon as the times to shoot.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:48   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

We do a fair amount, or should I say we did until we opened the Canvas shop..
Logged a good deal of photos in our stock account every year.. and many were good money shots that gave us back a decent return.. but the business is tough and if you are making money shots, its even tougher..
Tried weddings and other events but I really dont like people and people shots are what pays..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	36499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test shots 022.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	36500  

Old 27-01-2012, 15:49   #28
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles
Thanks for starting the thread Nick.

I'm just getting into all this so I got an entry level, so they tell me and based on the $$ I'm sure they are right, Canon Rebel T1i w/ a 18-55 lens. So far I'm pleased.

Someone mentioned the "light" version of Photoshop as good software for the price. Any comment?

And thanks for the Pelican case suggestion. I think I'd better get one ASAP. The humidity here in Thailand is a killer.
Hi Doodles, welcome to the club Your camera body is just fine; it's the lens that came with it for almost free that needs your attention before anything else. The ultimate standard zoom for a Canon crop sensor up to the 7D, is the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM. This is an EF-S lens but it's optic performance is L-class. It unfortunately has the price tag to prove that. It's also very fast with image stabilization pushing that even a couple of stops extra!

Here is a photo of my late cat Chippy done with that lens on a 7D body:

EDIT: forgot the software... don't do that, go for Lightroom. Download the new beta for version 4 and give it a go. It'll be a keeper.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:54   #29

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I shoot D700s and a variety of lenses, I have shot underwater for 30 years from film to digital so am use to having my cameras around and under the water.
To prevent humidity from destroying your camera and binoculars.
Get several desiccant canisters with silica gel, place equipment regularly when not in use into sealed container, can be tupperware type or I use a pelican box. When the gel turns colour put in very low oven for prescribed time (until it changes back), repeat are necessary. I have done this for over 30 years and never lost a camera or lenses to mold when all around me they were going black. Digital cameras love to be dried out, weather sealing like on the upper end Nikons is to keep some direct water from rain or splashes out not seal out humidity.
Old 27-01-2012, 15:55   #30
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Ya beat me Nick.
I had too because through the Force I saw you writing about waiting on my reply

This is Panama... Crocs instead of pet gators

ciao!
Nck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread