Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12   #241

Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Quote:

I'm not convinced... if it really was so good, it would have taken off much more by now. Nikon and Canon are selling so much by pre-orders alone that their new gear hardly arrives in shops for general sales....

Well, maybe....but camera owners seems very conservative when it comes to brands. Nikon and Canon has been here for a while now...and to just change to another brand I think is hard for many. Still, canon and nikon offers more lenses. Sony will prob. release a new full frame camera soon to compete with D800 and 5D III.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20   #242
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
Well, maybe....but camera owners seems very conservative when it comes to brands. Nikon and Canon has been here for a while now...and to just change to another brand I think is hard for many. Still, canon and nikon offers more lenses. Sony will prob. release a new full frame camera soon to compete with D800 and 5D III.
You forgot a picture for your post

Sony... sure, I see them take their place in the high end camera club. But I don't see their newish system revolutionize the market.

Here's the picture that just caught my eye:

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27   #243

I think it's nearly all about how bought into a particular system you are. Once you have a pile of lenses, flashes, a couple of bodies, etc., there needs to be a very, very compelling reason to switch. And if your lens collection includes any exotics, it becomes even stickier. Most vendors can only dream of the sort of customer lock-in that Nikon and Canon enjoy.

No matter what the brand, the photographer is almost always the weakest link.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38   #244

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think it's nearly all about how bought into a particular system you are. Once you have a pile of lenses, flashes, a couple of bodies, etc., there needs to be a very, very compelling reason to switch. And if your lens collection includes any exotics, it becomes even stickier. Most vendors can only dream of the sort of customer lock-in that Nikon and Canon enjoy.

No matter what the brand, the photographer is almost always the weakest link.
If the Sony's would be revolutionary, the pro's would make the switch in a New York second, let there be no doubt about that; it's their living. But they don't, because the results from the Sony's are very much alike those from the other brands.

another church, these are all from our recent Costa Abacho trip:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56   #245

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
How about the Sony SLT-a65 and SLT-A77? Looks good with super fast af
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think it's nearly all about how bought into a particular system you are. Once you have a pile of lenses, flashes, a couple of bodies, etc., there needs to be a very, very compelling reason to switch.
Vendor lock-in is a HUGE deal in photography. Once you've chosen EOS-mount or F-mount, using another brand means either carrying a mixed kit or liquidating the whole set and starting from scratch. There's a strong incentive, therefore, to pick an established brand with a solid multi-decade track record.

I find the Sonys to be too heavy on "features" and too weak on actual quality (and I'm not terribly fond of the company anymore). The Alpha-55 with its kit lens feels like a thousand-dollar toy; the same cash at N. or C. gets you something that feels almost like a professional tool. I can't think of a single Nikon or Canon lens of the last decade or so that drew reviews like "I wouldn't buy one of these things" or "it has mediocre performance", but such comments are not uncommon around the Sony optics.

Enough of my ranting. Enjoy some pretty clouds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MBM_1003-.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	38547  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15   #246

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, two days ago the new Canon G1-X started selling and the Internet is buzzing with the ooh's and ah's about it. The word is that you need Canon L-glass on your DSLR to beat it; an 18-55mm kit lens on a Rebel 550 or even on a 60D is put to shame by this new pocket camera with it's huge sensor. Nikon D70 had to go stand in the corner too... what an amazing camera Canon came up with now... it'll kill their other high-end P&S and even their entry level DSLR's. I guess they like that better than somebody else doing it

I read about people already using dual element close-up lenses (Canon 250D) that thread on as a filter so accessories from previous cameras probably fit, but that must all be worked out still. I have my finger on the trigger to buy one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
Enough of my ranting. Enjoy some pretty clouds.
love clouds !
Here is a 7D with the magical (non-L) 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM in action... plus a little HDR processing and beautiful summer skies of Panama

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52   #247

Boat: Island Packet 38

Have narrowed down my choice to two

Canon g1x

Fuji xs-1

I like the sensor and size of the Canon but not the ovf and macro. the zoom and macro on the fuji but not the sensor size. Any advice
mparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14   #248

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparent View Post
Have narrowed down my choice to two

Canon g1x

Fuji xs-1

I like the sensor and size of the Canon but not the ovf and macro. the zoom and macro on the fuji but not the sensor size. Any advice
Those are two quite different cameras. Nick's vote would mean the most, as he is really up to date in this area, but the way I use a camera (huge zoom, Carl Zeiss lens, optical image stabilization), for under $400, I'd go with this one.....
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V: Digital Photography Review
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 13:07   #249

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When choosing a point & shoot or fixed lens camera, take the following steps:

1. only consider newest generation, never buy older ones except 2nd hand
2. pick largest sensor you can afford
3. read reviews to find out if the lens matches the quality of the sensor
4. determine focal length needed.

Point 2 is probably the most unknown one but about the most important so let's just look at sensor sizes:

Now you can see why the Canon G1X is a revolution... all it's competitors, incl. the Sony that Deckofficer likes so much, have the little pinky 1/2.3" sensor. The Canon sensor is massive, huge, compared to that. The surface area, where the pixels live, is 8 times as big !! This simply means that it can capture 8 times as much light (photographic detail) as the pink sensor with the same shutter speed.

In other words... there is no way to get back what is lost with a small sensor. Any technique used to improve the data can be ridiculed by the bigger sensor using the same technique. It's like a 5' tall kid playing basketball against a 7' tall pro... no chance whatsoever no matter how cute.

Now here comes the catch... by putting a lot of pixels into a small sensor and then enlarging the picture while viewing it, you get a zoom effect. The Sony has a 4.8-144mm lens and the G1X has a 28-112mm lens. For the Sony it means a 30x zoom while for the Canon it is a 4x zoom.

As cool as this free zoom factor sounds, it comes at that price of only 1/8th of the photographic detail. So let's see how that gets compensated: the Sony has a big name Carl Zeiss lens. Massive history of quality optics... used to cost thousands of dollars. This lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.8 which isn't bad at all. The bigger the aperture, the more light can come in, and with a sensor 1/8th the size, this camera needs a lot of light to get to that sensor. But wait.. the Canon also has a f/2.8 aperture... so they still get 8 times as much detail.

The simple thing is that the Sony gets lots of reach at the cost of a lot of detail. The lens isn't any better or longer focal length... it's the smaller sensor that makes the difference.

The Canon G1X with it's mere 4x zoom lens will outperform the Sony on picture quality like nothing else. A professional photographer will have trouble telling the G1X captures from his own. If you put them through a post processing work flow like with Lightroom (or even iPhoto), you can have semi-professional results with an $800 camera.

For focal length with quality, the wallet will suffer. I've been writing about that earlier. But the Canon with it's 112mm lens is still very capable. I went out today with a full frame camera with a 24-105mm f/4 lens which gives me less reach than the G1X and I got captures like these:

That last one is my girl testing her new 2.0x teleconverter and black rapid single attachment sling. That lens on that Canon 7D body is 640mm equivalent so comes near the 800mm of the Sony... but with the quality of the G1X. See how much is needed to get reach with quality!? This is one of the shots Josie took with that camera this morning:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:19   #250

We're the photo with the 70-200 & 2x usable? I quickly learnt after buying the 2xII that it was a forgettable combination. The 1.4x is the most I would use now. On my old 300l f2.8 and my current 200L f2, then the 2x works well
Old 10-03-2012, 13:33   #251

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
We're the photo with the 70-200 & 2x usable? I quickly learnt after buying the 2xII that it was a forgettable combination. The 1.4x is the most I would use now. On my old 300l f2.8 and my current 200L f2, then the 2x works well
It's a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM Mk.I with the 2x Mk.II and these are two captures; the second one is at maximum focal length, 640mm equivalent. You can click them and then on SmugMug click again and find the "Original" size button for 1:1 pixel peeping:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-03-2012, 13:39   #252

Boat: too many

Nick my friend, this is your thread and you clearly stated it to be about DSLRs, but with the stunning pictures you and others have posted, it is attracting a lot of folks that aren't ready for a $5K~$15K purchase, but still want a good P&S. I would never argue the merits of sensor size, as I started out in the mid 60's with a film format of 2 1/2" X 2 1/2", then moved up to 4X5. I contend for the average user, a P&S will record the memories just fine, and will give consistent results.

I would guess some here would like to be able to capture distant action shots, handheld, and have a blur free picture. It is hard to beat the zoom of any given lens when the image is being directed onto a small sensor.

The good folks that have returned to this thread more than once, are there any interested in <$500 P&S cameras?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:04   #253

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Nick my friend, this is your thread and you clearly stated it to be about DSLRs, but with the stunning pictures you and others have posted, it is attracting a lot of folks that aren't ready for a $5K~$15K purchase, but still want a good P&S.
[...]
I would guess some here would like to be able to capture distant action shots, handheld, and have a blur free picture. It is hard to beat the zoom of any given lens when the image is being directed onto a small sensor.

The good folks that have returned to this thread more than once, are there any interested in <$500 P&S cameras?
It's not a problem to talk Point & Shoot (P&S) here... I was actually talking about some, like the Canon 1G-X and the Sony megazoom. I guess I made my point rather difficult so let me try again:

Look at the pics with the trees etc. that I posted earlier today... that is a focal length that the G1-X can beat a couple of times. A G1-X can make those pictures, and I probably won't be able to tell the difference. That is what I mean, you can have that for $799.- today.

Super-telephoto (400mm and up) is over rated. To do it good costs a lot of money and, like you write, not everybody has enough to spend on tele-zoom lenses. That leaves you with two choices: pursue telephoto using cheaper solutions (read smaller sensors) like the megazoom cameras (Panasonic has one too) and live with the quality hit, or leave Super-telephoto for others to shoot and enjoy the standard telephoto to wide angle range at high quality which is affordable. I mean, I'm gonna buy an 8-15mm lens for my full frame camera because wide angle shooting is at least as much fun as telephoto, if not more. And for those wide shots, the big sensor is helping you and the small sensor is hurting. The Sony needs 4.8mm to get wide enough while the big sensor G1-X can do with a 28mm and still get a lot wider than the Sony.

You promote the idea to do extreme telephoto using the small-sensor camera option, so I wanted to tell about the other option which is to go for high quality wide to telephoto focal length and just forget about super-telephoto. If you use a megazoom camera, just check how many photo's are shot at regular telephoto or wider focal lengths... all those have the same quality hit just because of the few extreme telephoto pictures. You have to ask yourself if those few extreme telephoto captures are worth that quality hit. For some (you too?) who shoot a lot of super-telephoto, it might be, but for most it doesn't make sense.... I think

ciao!
Nick.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:38   #254

I just found this "cruising video" shot on a Canon 5D2. It's only brief but it is a good example of how amazing a dSLR video can be if you know what you are doing.

sailing the world for a bigger picture on Vimeo

Sadly I have the gear required, but totally lack the ability when it comes to video shooting or production
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:45   #255

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

That's a great video!

How do they do the time lapse at the start? Just sped the footage up in editing?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote