Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 14:49   #136
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
500L?
Yes, that is Axl with his 1D and 500L. I'm gonna show him my 1.4x extender soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
So I have a Canon T3i and Photoshop. How difficult is it to take 300 pictures in the RAW format and make them JPG?

Haven't used RAW yet, but I want to get the best possible pictures I can.
I only use Photoshop (PS) for editing, not for managing my photo's, which I do with Lightroom. But PS has Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which also has batch methods or so I am told. I only sometimes get that when I send 3 or more RAW files to PS for HDR or Panorama merging.

In Lightroom it's just a matter of selecting the pictures and asking for an export to JPG. You can walk away, the computer will beep when ready. But before you do that, you first import the RAW files, next cull your photo's, then process the keepers (can be done with auto-tone etc. in one big batch but I do every pic separate) and only then you're ready to export to jpg (or TIFF, PSD or whatever).

To shoot in JPG instead of RAW is done for two reasons:

1 - it is faster, the camera can make more captures per second (sports).
2 - the pics use less room on the CF card so fit more (weddings etc.)

When you shoot RAW, always remember to shoot "to the right" of the histogram. In other words, lighter rather than darker. This gives you more room during processing.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 31-01-2012, 14:58   #137

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Some cruiser friends have BIG cameras, some not so big

ciao!
Nick.
I could do with one of those big lenses for surf photography, but should instead probably put the next six grand into paying off my sail maker, fixing the engine and hauling the boat out!

Old 31-01-2012, 15:04   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Not mine, for sure, but worth a look.

Oops I posted the wrong link

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/peregrines_2011
Old 31-01-2012, 15:15   #139

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

If you have Adobe Lightroom shooting RAW is dead easy. Personally I think Lightroom is a must for anyone who treats photography a bit more serious than point-n-shoot on a mobile.
Old 31-01-2012, 15:24   #140
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh my, I forgot the pic in my last post and even too late to edit now

So this is just the pic.. another wolf eying us today:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 31-01-2012, 17:33   #141

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
I only use Photoshop (PS) for editing, not for managing my photo's, which I do with Lightroom. But PS has Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which also has batch methods or so I am told. I only sometimes get that when I send 3 or more RAW files to PS for HDR or Panorama merging.

In Lightroom it's just a matter of selecting the pictures and asking for an export to JPG. You can walk away, the computer will beep when ready. But before you do that, you first import the RAW files, next cull your photo's, then process the keepers (can be done with auto-tone etc. in one big batch but I do every pic separate) and only then you're ready to export to jpg (or TIFF, PSD or whatever).

When you shoot RAW, always remember to shoot "to the right" of the histogram. In other words, lighter rather than darker. This gives you more room during processing.

ciao!
Nick.
Thanks, I'll play around with it and maybe try a demo of lightroom.
Old 31-01-2012, 18:09   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Depends on what you want to do with it. If you need to recover highlights etc the raw from the "bad" may still be a better option
Negative, Sir. When I said a bad camera I probably meant one with a bad lens attached and a bad engine inside, hence there will be nothing to recover as nothing got registered in the first place.

Jpeg can result in anything from excellent to poor quality, and so can raw.

Shure thing, shoot raw for stock / commercial / art / etc. purposes. Probably, if a picture is meant to be post-processed, then raw is the natural choice.

;-)
b.
Old 31-01-2012, 18:27   #143
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have just been busy uploading a batch of photo's to the Dreamstime stock photography site. It now takes 154 hours before it's their turn for approval! Man, the whole world is shooting pics for money We started doing this to force ourselves to create titles, captions, keywords and general quality.

Here is one that I like with a red lichen:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43   #144

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

The car thread just reminded me of some fun shots I did with my old 5D that I thought are worth posting

How I shot them

Old 05-02-2012, 14:03   #145

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
I have just been busy uploading a batch of photo's to the Dreamstime stock photography site. It now takes 154 hours before it's their turn for approval! Man, the whole world is shooting pics for money We started doing this to force ourselves to create titles, captions, keywords and general quality.

ciao!
Nick.
Do you end up making any money from the stock photos? You obviously have the skills, and your typical subjects don't have to sign a model release. How much money per month would you estimate somebody with your skills could expect to make say, hypothetically while cruising? Maybe assuming the occasional splurge of photos a few times a month.

Ok, there are way too many variables, but your thoughts on the online stock photo sites would be useful anyways!!
Old 05-02-2012, 21:11   #146
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Do you end up making any money from the stock photos? You obviously have the skills, and your typical subjects don't have to sign a model release. How much money per month would you estimate somebody with your skills could expect to make say, hypothetically while cruising? Maybe assuming the occasional splurge of photos a few times a month.

Ok, there are way too many variables, but your thoughts on the online stock photo sites would be useful anyways!!
My guess is... with incentive to actually make money and shoot pretty women behind desks answering phones etc. ... may be a couple hundred a month maximum.

For travel pictures I see that the beach + blue sky + palm tree + palm tree shade on the sand type of pictures get sold and the rest not really.

To get the couple hundred, you need to scan the stock portfolios and check which type of photo's are sold often and then improve on those. Food photography is good too.

Okay, this picture is good enough to say it way bigger than here I made it so that you can click it for huge size:

ciao!
Nick.
Old 06-02-2012, 19:58   #147
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today I tested a 15mm fisheye lens for use aboard and around a boat. I posted the results on our blog and you can find it here: A fisheye lens aboard a boat?! - s/v Jedi

It's very nice to have fun with a fisheye lens. I'll post one photo here just because lots of people know John from Shelter Bay Marina, and as dock master of club Nautico in Cartagena before that (you can also click the photo for the album):

ciao!
Nick.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:54   #148

Quote:
Yes, that is Axl with his 1D and 500L. I'm gonna show him my 1.4x extender soon

ciao!
Nick.
Auto batch processing is great! I batch 'smart sharpened' 1,200+ pics that were taken on an old digital camera. It preserves my originals and puts the sharpened (or whatever filter/watermark etc. applied) pictures in a new separate folder. Smart sharpen is prob not something you would use too much with a 5D but if you have a library of photos taken from an old digital camera you can make them look a lot better with a few batch processed enhancements.
Old 07-02-2012, 21:47   #149
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Auto batch processing is great! I batch 'smart sharpened' 1,200+ pics that were taken on an old digital camera. It preserves my originals and puts the sharpened (or whatever filter/watermark etc. applied) pictures in a new separate folder. Smart sharpen is prob not something you would use too much with a 5D but if you have a library of photos taken from an old digital camera you can make them look a lot better with a few batch processed enhancements.
When you shoot RAW files, you do need to sharpen. When you shoot JPG files, your camera will sharpen them according to the settings of your camera (natural, vivid etc.)

Here's a photo with a boat in the picture and not a single bug as far as I can tell :-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13   #150
Do or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I guess we're the only active photographers on CF

But I'll keep posting until y'all grab your cameras and join in

Here's a black hawk eying our 400mm lens on the Canon 7D. The crop sensor gives it a 1.6x boost so we're 640mm equivalent on 35mm:

click that yellow line on top to get a better sized version... wished they would allow a bit bigger photo's here, it's just links, no load for the forum at all!

ciao!
Nick.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: