Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 18:06   #16

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: Any guides or books on offshore fishing?

FWIW, I had both a 200lb mono on a yo-yo setup and a 50lb rod/reel running in parallel for many weeks. Twice as many bites on the latter (thicker mono == much more visibility), and quite a bit easier / more likely to land that fish.

Per my understanding (from books, I have no personal anecdotes to back it up with), a wire leader is a bit of a mixed blessing. Yes, you'll retrieve that sierra / barracuda / shark / what have you, but you may have fewer hookups in the meantime, for the same reason - visibility.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 18:09   #17

In fact, we replaced the yoyo with a 20lb rod/reel rig that can be used in a dinghy eventually. Calculating that it'll pay back for itself in less than a year in food alone, nevermind the entertainment value
Old 23-12-2017, 19:27   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Concede on the mixed blessing of wire leader. After I submitted, I thought again about releasing fish I don’t want to land.
PapaLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 19:27   #19

Penn Senator Wide 600 yards of 50lb mono and matching 6/0 rod.

short wire trace (6 to 12 in).
King Getter lure (dont think their made any longer)
If you can one, get a bunch.
If you can carry frozen squid, attach a piece to the hook closest to the swivel on the lure. May have to adjust position of added morsel to balance for proper tracking of the lure.

Squid Bullet Teaser with little bit squid on hook.

Offshore chartering, 98% of the time i pulled the King Getter for kings and dorado.

I have read different posts about fishing, lets call it mid Atlantic or far far offshore and not too good on being sustainable for meat.

I'm gonna have to get that book and see what it says.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 13:00   #20

Hello,
I have been fishing all my life with the past 25 years being mainly offshore fishing. My wife and I are in the final stages of purchasing a sailboat. I am going to rig it up for offshore fishing. I have watched alot of sailing videos but have not seen hardly anyone who is set up for success. I have my own ideas so I will be trying to see if I can set up some kind of hybrid green stick which can be adapted for different areas and different types of big game fish. Our boat has a mizzen mast in the back. We will be relying of this for our main source of food. You would need to know how to do different types of rigging depending on what is biting in the area that you will be sailing and fishing. I am in Virginia so I will be rigging for big tuna as well as other bigger fish. I will be glad to share my ideas with anyone who is interested.
Thanks
Mike
Coastalsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 13:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalsailor1 View Post
Hello,
I have been fishing all my life with the past 25 years being mainly offshore fishing. My wife and I are in the final stages of purchasing a sailboat. I am going to rig it up for offshore fishing. I have watched alot of sailing videos but have not seen hardly anyone who is set up for success. I have my own ideas so I will be trying to see if I can set up some kind of hybrid green stick which can be adapted for different areas and different types of big game fish. Our boat has a mizzen mast in the back. We will be relying of this for our main source of food. You would need to know how to do different types of rigging depending on what is biting in the area that you will be sailing and fishing. I am in Virginia so I will be rigging for big tuna as well as other bigger fish. I will be glad to share my ideas with anyone who is interested.
Thanks
Mike
mike sounds like you have a good start on a plan. One bit personally I would have to recommend on not depending on catching fish for your food when on longer passages.
Old 29-01-2018, 13:58   #22

Fishing success in cruising is usually defined as catching more tasty fish than your crew can eat, with minimum effort. In my experience, it's not all that difficult to achieve.

> I will be glad to share my ideas with anyone who is interested.
Yes, please! Learning from professionals is good.

Tags
fish, fishing, offshore