Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 20:48   #1

Boat: Vancouver 27
Any experience w/ windSUPs?

I'm looking at getting an inflatable windSUP to use as a secondary dinghy/sailing toy for the boat. WindSUP is apparently a pretty new thing (crossover windsurfing and standup paddleboarding) and the current generation of inflatables look pretty awesome. A couple good names.. Starboard, Naish, JP..

Wondering if anyone here has any experience cruising with one of these things? They look like serious fun, great for dogs, great for touring/exploring in, and could even serve as an all-around sometimes dinghy. Starboard makes one that's 11'2" x 40" and has the volume to carry a small family. I've been looking at the Starboard 12' x 33" Deluxe which combines large wide board stability with better glide/touring characteristics.. 2015 WindSUP Inflatable

I've been lurking some of the forums like Standup Zone Forum but just curious if anyone here has any experience with them. They are expensive and I've got a lot to learn, so I plan on demoing some when I get to an area where that would be possible.

laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 20:54   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Re: Any experience w/ windSUPs?

OMG crazy! I have been posting on a couple of the other forums looking for people who have tried using their SUP for a wind. Let us know what you find and how it goes!
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 21:01   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I saw a couple last year. Inflated on deck of a outremer in a few minutes and out sailing (and sailing well) a couple of minutes later. I can't remember if they were naish or Starboards. Definitely a good toy to add to any yacht.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 22:44   #4

I'll keep things updated once I demo and eventually buy something, but here's where my research has gotten me..

I'd like to make this thing as much of a touring dinghy as possible. My criteria is something with good tracking, speed and stability at the expense of some maneuverability. I also need more volume with the added dog / gear, otherwise I'd be tempted get a really long, narrow touring board that just knives through the water. On the other hand, a shorter board would be awesome for straight-up windsurfing and kicking around the harbor.

-need good stable paddler for trekking with the dog in ocean swells
-sailing speed in light to moderate winds
-good upwind performance (deep fins or daggerboard)
-stability and volume for carrying supplies in calm anchorages
-something fun for visiting crew to play around with (i.e. stable)

Here's a lineup of the starboard line which gives a good idea of the range of baord shapes: 2015 WindSUP Inflatable

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Starboard 12' x 33" Starboard SUP | Inflatable or the Naish 12' x 34" Crossover Air 12’0’’

The most informative forum thread I've found on the subject: The Best Inflatable Windsup - Stand Up Paddle / SUP Review - Seabreeze Forums!

The thought has also crossed my mind that it would be possible to lash some kind of outrigger to it to make it a really stable little vessel. Might be getting a bit ahead of myself tho
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think you need a big board for carrying passengers. The ones I saw in graciosa didn't look too big and they were carrying girls on the foredeck as well. Ours is only 9' SUP and it has a huge payload. It is about 5" thick though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435757485.256667.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	104493
Old 01-07-2015, 07:24   #6

Oh this is hilarious. Oversize boards and dacron sails are hip again!

This is where windsurfing was, like 34 years ago when first I took it up. (except for the paddling part). Fast-forward 20 years, and you wouldn't be caught dead on a longboard; it was all short boards and monofilm. And now they're cool again!

Granted the new longboards have evolved a bit - wider (stability as a SUP), and the soft decks are now common. But the rest of it is just about pure 1982.

There was an inflatable thing called the Mistral Windglider about 20 years ago, but it was more of a kid's toy than the new inflatables.

It's all good. Longboards are fun. The price of my old gear has just gone up.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:04   #7

Monte, I don't see any room for the dog in that pic

I'm 80kg and the dog is 35kg and this seems to put me over the "recommended" weight on many of the smaller boards. Apparently they take a lot more though! It must be an "ideal performance" thing?

The longer boards do seem to excel in performance and speed. Because they're inflatable and the weight / rolled up size difference would be pretty minimal, part of it seems why not go big and get the added performance?

End of the day, being a good stable paddler seems like the most important thing. I'd like to leave my OB firmly attached to the stern rail as much as possible and keep my inflatable dinghy rolled up below for only the times it's really needed. I don't keep it inflated on deck or tow it and it's a real PITA to break out on the foredeck of a 27' cutter.

Lake effect, I was born in '83 so you could say I'm from that old school biz And ya, they sure are $$ Luckily the boat is small and I wont have room for much else after this

There's been a lot of talk on the windsurfing boards I've seen that suggest the new push towards windSUP may cause a resurgence in windsurfing, making it accessible to the masses again. Apparently a lot of people think the push to smaller more difficult boards over the years made the sport too elitist, and it never took off like many 30 years ago were expecting.
Old 01-07-2015, 15:49   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jen and I are 65kg each and Balrog is 30kg. It floats the three of us high and dry easily and doesn't flex.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/inflatabl...d_8336146.html

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435790923.577618.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	104507
But sometimes he still likes to go alone...

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1435790956.043448.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	104508
Old 01-07-2015, 15:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
There's been a lot of talk on the windsurfing boards I've seen that suggest the new push towards windSUP may cause a resurgence in windsurfing, making it accessible to the masses again. Apparently a lot of people think the push to smaller more difficult boards over the years made the sport too elitist, and it never took off like many 30 years ago were expecting.
You're quite right that the emphasis on performance did not help windsurfing grow, but it was always a sport that 'saturates' quickly. Most will try it once or twice, many will buy that first board, but relatively few will be passionate about it and advance. (and keep buying the latest and greatest gear).

And, like fg sailboats - the basic windsurf stuff lasts forever! Just about every cottage still has that first windsurfer, stuffed under the cottage or in the rafters of the boathouse.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 18:24   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Any experience w/ windSUPs?

Kitesurfing has really taken over. A bit hard in under 15kn and not so gOod for taking the dog ashore though. That's where the inflatable windsurfer would be a bit of fun. Handy to head over the other side of the anchorage for a snorkel as well.
https://www.facebook.com/sv.sephina/...9810789815492/
Old 01-07-2015, 20:23   #11

I figure you could always SUK it up:

Kiteboarding looks incredible, but that wouldn't be fair to Vlady. He's a trooper as it is coming sailing, plus he's really good at pouting. I try to include him in as much as possible

Hey, there's also a windSUP + kayak Exocet Discovery 10'8" Inflatable Watersport Multi-tool, Package B | Live Well Sports

Maybe I'll just sell the boat and raft a bunch of boards up to each other.

Tags
enc, wind