Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 10:53   #1

Boat: too many
Any Classic Car Enthusiasts on Board ?

After seeing Nick's (S/V Jedi) response for fellow photographers thread almost go viral, I wonder if there are any classic car/hot rod enthusiasts on the forum? I know that sailing and world travel go hand in hand with photography, but just want to know if I'm the lone Indian for an interest in land based transportation? Below is my beloved 1923 Ford Track-T that you good folks have been seeing in my avatar. I call it my "Swiss Army Knife" of hot rods because during the design process I wanted a ride that could be fast and still sip fuel. During the build of the engine on my forum, many members told me I couldn't have both, and said if I wanted fast I would have to accept 3~5mpg, about what WE get during motoring on the water. I built the engine to behave like a diesel, giving up 120 hp on the high end of rpms to gain diesel like torque in the low rpm range. I used the very common 350 sbc block and a 400 crank for a stroked displacement of 383 CID. Cam selection was tricky, because most all offerings are for higher hp at the high rpm range. On the dyno, this engine produced 516 lb/ft @ 2800 rpm.

What I wound up with when finished, was a ride that pulls a 10.8 second 1/4 mile run, hitting 132 mph at the traps. The same car can break 30 MPG on a level highway at 65 mph and because I mounted the engine and transmission so low in the frame rails, it can generate 1.04G in cornering, much better than my Corvette.

If I'm the only one into cars, it won't surprise me on this forum and this could be just a single post, quickly being pushed down into obscurity on this thread.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:59   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Any classic car enthusiasts on board?

I love the looks of your hot rod. That is way cool. Very glad to see a full sized photo. From your avatar I thought it might have been a 40s or 50s formula two.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:04   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am a total car freak-- but i am ignoring the danged wheeled wonders for sailboats, these days... but the sight and sound of a reallly good sporty car or antique is tooo heart pounding to truly ignore..... awesome pic....
sold my last Zcar--a 1984 golden anniversary edition turbo, to sail caribean in 2008......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:28   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

944 Turbo, 911S, 911 Turbo highly modified, 192 MPH by cops radar (no ticket, long story) 1957 Hudson Hornet, 63 Bonneville, 68 Mustang, 70 Monte Carlo SS 454, and more

Been there done that. Now drive an older Ford Explorer. Priorities change. Now all I want to do is sail 12 knots in a cat.
Old 31-01-2012, 12:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

1966 Series 2a 109 Land Rover is my current Classic Brit Sport Car. It must be a Brit Sports Car because it's underpowered, no synchro on 1st and 2nd, rides like a buckboard, has side curtains, Top takes a 1/2 hour to erect. and leaks like sieve when it rains.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 12:31   #6

If its British, must also leave its mark on the garage floor. Of course Lucas electrical, what do they say, (K)night of Darkness.

Bob, I have driven many a 911, of production cars they can get off the line fast, 0~30mph, squat, hook, and book.

Zeehag, would have never guessed you as a gearhead. You have transformed so seamlessly into a cruiser.

Astrid, my goal was to pay homage to the original hot rodders from the early 30's, taking an old Model T, stripping it of weight and attempting to make more aerodynamic, and dropping a "modern" for its day, Model A engine in it. At least that is what my 92 year old dad reports they did back then.

This was 2 years ago at the 101 Fun Run, all of us parked in Escondido, California. What do they say about "birds of a feather"?

Speaking of birds of a feather, you would not believe how hard it has been to convince my fellow gear heads that electric cars are the way of the future and that with the torque aspects of an electric motor, hot rodding will not die, it just will become green. I bought a container full of Smart Electric Cars, sold 4 and kept one to go along with my other two electric vehicles.

Old 31-01-2012, 12:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Old car head. Had more than I can list here. Still have a '70 Chevelle big block making 850 at the wheels and good to mid 8's.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 12:50   #8

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I gave my son a 1965 Chevy Impala SS when he was 16. We rebuilt the engine, front & rear suspension & several other systems. He is 30 now and still has the car. A friend had a 1938 Buick coupe that he couldn't complete. My son bought it last year and is in the process of building it as a street rod. When his wife had a baby 6 months ago he wanted something safer for her & bought a Audi S8, so I bought her 06 Mustang GT that has several performance upgrades, it is a lot of fun to drive.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 12:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Old car head. Had more than I can list here. Still have a '70 Chevelle big block making 850 at the wheels and good to mid 8's.
Sounds like you managed to trim some weight for those mid 8 runs? Like something under 2900 lbs?
Old 31-01-2012, 12:56   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just sold my '66 TR4A not too long ago. Yes, Lucas, Prince of Darkness for certain And, why Brits don't build computers? They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.
Just kiddin' of course.
Still got an old Chev truck but its nothing to speak of other than it runs and gets terrible gas mileage. 350/350 stock camper special.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:20   #11

Boat: 33ft sloop

@ Bob:

Here weg go -

Delahaye 135M 1949 - JXK120, JXK 140, Jaguar Mk VII, Jaguar 3,8 Mk 2,
Ferrari 250 GT 1962, Colombo V12 Block, Several Mercedes 220, NSU RO80,
Triumph 2000, TR4 IRS, Elva Lotus - AR Guilietta 1600, AR Berlina 2000, AR 2600, Lancia Flaminia 2L, Lancia Gamma Coupe 2500, Daimler 4,2 L Sovereign,
Sunbeam Talbot Tiger 1960 - (8 cyl Ford)

US cars only 2 - Oldsmobile Toronado & Chevrolet Corvette 1964

Last car was an AR 166.

I hate temporary cars. I forgot to mention my starter car: MG TF 1939 or about. I drove many Ferraris, BB, Mondial, and the Testa Rossa.

Note: I bought thos cars mostly from people with financial problems or cars in a neglected state. Some cars I drove for quite some time, others I solda fter a month or 3. The Elva-Lotus was a pure racing car with (illegal received) licenseplates. Today such stint would be impossible.
The Toronado was because of its size hell on earth. I lived in Amsterdam and often I could not make the turn in the narrow canalstreets.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:26   #12
SKI

Boat: none yet

I've got a 1948 ford coupe in the shed right now that i'm itching to get started on but too many other projects and a business also. I bought it as a body and frame but the body isn't bad and the interior panels are intact for patterns. I plan to chop the top and remove the door posts to basically make it a 2 door hard top i've already cut and machined the parts to make my own I.F.S. it just needs welded together .I bought an original ford flathead V-8 last summer for it that'll get mildly built but still be old school. I love old hot rods espically those without fenders ( must be from my years racing dirt sprint cars) I'm also only 34 yrs old so hot rodding is alive and well with us youngsters as well hahaha
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:28   #13

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

My boat was funded by the sale of my 1911 10hp Stanley Steamer. I rebuilt it from a wreck pulled out from under a collapsed barn.
I still have a 1970 GTO and a 1970 Trans Am,and a 1947 Knucklehead Harley.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 13:28   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Collecting my BMW E36 325i parts right now for my next build, a Marlin Sportster kit from near Exeter UK. BMW S54b30 DOHC, 320bhp.
Design based on 1934 Alfa Romeo.
Lots of time in Shelby '60s Cobras.
Old 31-01-2012, 13:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
@ Bob:

Here weg go -

Delahaye 135M 1949 - JXK120, JXK 140, Jaguar Mk VII, Jaguar 3,8 Mk 2,
Ferrari 250 GT 1962, Colombo V12 Block, Several Mercedes 220, NSU RO80,
Triumph 2000, TR4 IRS, Elva Lotus - AR Guilietta 1600, AR Berlina 2000, AR 2600, Lancia Flaminia 2L, Lancia Gamma Coupe 2500, Daimler 4,2 L Sovereign,
Sunbeam Talbot Tiger 1960 - (8 cyl Ford)

US cars only 2 - Oldsmobile Toronado & Chevrolet Corvette 1964

Last car was an AR 166.

I hate temporary cars. I forgot to mention my starter car: MG TF 1939 or about. I drove many Ferraris, BB, Mondial, and the Testa Rossa.

Note: I bought thos cars mostly from people with financial problems or cars in a neglected state. Some cars I drove for quite some time, others I solda fter a month or 3. The Elva-Lotus was a pure racing car with (illegal received) licenseplates. Today such stint would be impossible.
The Toronado was because of its size hell on earth. I lived in Amsterdam and often I could not make the turn in the narrow canalstreets.
I think the above helps confirm my mental picture of you as we have chatted over time, European Playboy, lol.

That front wheel drive, over 7 liter, Toronado must have been a sight to see back in Holland. The Sunbeam Talbot Tiger, is that the same as a regular Sunbeam Tiger, first powered by the 260 cid Ford V8? I think the first year was 1964?