Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 20:25   #196

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Any Classic Car Enthusiasts on Board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
We have close to the same specs,
Yes... "close"... ...and I believe you are probably faster in a straight line.

However, I offer up this video here of the older version S1 Exige. ( The new Exige "S" is quicker and handles better IMHO).

This video, (aside from some nice driving skills), confirms quite nicely Colin Chapman's statement regarding horsepower versus weight. It is INDEED nothing but a matter of ratios, and in this video we see a $40,000 car passing cars selling for well into six figures. That's why I stick to my "nothing more than 4 cylinder rule". It's just not necessary to go to a huge engine (AND price tag) in order to go very VERY fast.

I don't think most people are aware of what the little Lotus cars can do to the "big boys" as demonstrated in this video. Being an ex-pro kart driver I really love and appreciate this video. I think that is why I was drawn to the Lotus in the first place. After my first test drive in my 2005 Elise, I absolutely stunned how "kart like" the Lotus was---and I was sold. Then when I got the new supercharged Exige S, it was like...WHOA!!!! HOLD ON!!!!

I hope you all get a kick out of this video. Keep in mind this is a FOUR cylinder 1.8 Liter engine folks. I hope this doesn't offend the "Muscle Car" fans...because we are really talking apples 'n oranges here. Both sides of the sport and hobby are really fun. ...Just don't start tail gating me me on twisty Lawson Valley Road! Ha!!!!

Cheers!

Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 23:05   #197

What that video demonstrates is that you don't need to be a good driver to own a Ferrari or Lamborghini and take them on a track day, you just need to be able to afford it
Old 03-03-2012, 00:23   #198

Boat: too many

I was impressed when he reeled in the Super 7 replica on that first pass of 3. I'm running 4.2 lb per hp.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
What that video demonstrates is that you don't need to be a good driver to own a Ferrari or Lamborghini and take them on a track day, you just need to be able to afford it
Yes, there are always some of the "rich guys" with racer egos on track days. Generally (not always) you have to look out for them. But no matter---pro or not---on this track the Lotus competes nicely.

But Hoppy, you are really short-changing this video. It shows WAY more than what you got out of it. The the real reason I put up this first video was to demonstrate Colin Chapman's statement I posted about his "lighter is better" philosophy for designing his Lotus race cars. Let's face it, no matter what you've heard, races are won and lost on the straights so ultimately horse power (and torque) to weight ratios are the rule of the day. However, if you'll notice in viewing again the big V-12's pull the little Lotus somewhat easily on the straights (it's an older S1 Exige and under powered compared to our new ones)...but V12's straights are not a "long" as the Lotus' straights. What do I mean by this? Well, getting those 3,000+ Lb cars to stop takes a LOT longer. So they have to break WAY early, and the Lotus simply catches up as he is able to stay on the throttle longer. So that's why the Lotus is able to be on "his" straight longer than they are on theirs, and ON THIS TRACK catches them, and then has his way with them in the turns. The track in this video is perfect for the Lotus. On a track with much longer straights the muscle of the Lambo's and Ferrari's would put an end to the little "under-powered" Lotus S1 quite easily. But then they've got to get "something" for that extra $150,000 they've spent....right?

Okay Hoppy...Here yah go! You want to watch pros drive in the same scenario? Well, below is a video of a NEWER Lotus Exige "S" (still 1.8 Liter 4 cylinder) competing quite nicely against the Lamborghini Gallardo in a PRO GT Championship race in Australia. In this video the camera switches back and forth between Lambo and Lotus so it's really fun to watch. There are LONG straights on this track! The Lambo tries, but just can NOT run away and hide. The video is always from the car that is in SECOND place so you can see the car in the lead. As you'll see first, it's the Lotus that is in front and they switch off. It's a seven minute vid but a pretty fun one. The sound of a four cylinder keeping up with a Lambo always keeps me on the edge of my seat! The Lambo passes the Lotus early on...but then gets a big surprise! But you muscle car guys need not worry. I think the Lambo wins in the end. So maybe next year?

Oh, if you watch closely, there is also a nice Porsche GT-3 that briefly makes an appearance along side but can't pass, and is never seen again.

Okay...ENOUGH! I'm headed down to the boat and my REAL world at a blistering 6 knots!

Enjoy!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21   #200

I know what you are saying. That is why my Track-T follows the Lotus principal on weight, but the Carroll Shelby principal of a Detroit V8. That worked well in the 60's when Shelby/Ford took the points championship from Ferrari.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:29   #201

Boat: 33ft sloop

Saying that you need to have cash assets to drive a Ferrari, is a bit besides the truth.
Let' s put it this way : getting ahead with a cold Ferrari is similar to try to entice a frozen girl.
I was in Germany with my 250 (long time already) in south Bavaria at 20 C minus. Wintertime. Firing up was no prob at all. Getting on the road was. No 1, no 2, no 3.
Could get the stick in 4 and with a bit revving up moved slowly (VERY SLOWLY) away. BTW, the Merc 450 of my colleague didn' t fire up at all.

Generally it takes an hour before a Ferrari is sufficiently warmed up to shift the gearbox around. Even the modern cars of this brand have still this issue.
It is very easy to burn away the whole debrayage if you don't know how to handle the car. So if people are telling me how to drive a Ferrari and coming up how easy this is, well they haven't no idea.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:33   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I know what you are saying. That is why my Track-T follows the Lotus principal on weight, but the Carroll Shelby principal of a Detroit V8. That worked well in the 60's when Shelby/Ford took the points championship from Ferrari.
That's right Bob! And no offense to your incredible car, but I've got to tell you that when I first saw your avitar I was thinking...Is that a custom Lotus 7 of some sort! Ha!

BTW, I can't get the new 2012 Lotus Exige. They went to a V6! Ha! I can only imagine what the after market guys will do with that V-6 Evora engine which is stock at around 350 HP in the little Lotus chassis. I'm too old for that much excitement! Not to mention that I think it's nearly $100K! Yikes!
My go fast days are over. Now it's HELM'S A LEE!!!

BTW, here's my newest ride. A screaming 65 HP @ 62 MPG. Is it a classic? No, but at gas approaching $5 a gallon now EVERYONE wants one! LOL!! It's the 1st generation Honda Insight, made from 2000 to 2006.

Best!

es 73 de K6LSD
Kilowatt Six "Love San Diego"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 Insight.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	38230  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36   #203

A Ferrari is not easy to drive, hp is only good at a high rpm and torque is almost non-existent.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:41   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
That's right! No offense, but I've got to tell you that when I first saw your avitar I was thinking...Is that a custom Lotus 7 of some sort! Ha!

BTW, I can't get the new 2012 Lotus Exige. They went to a V6! Ha! I can only imagine what the after market guys will do with that V-6 Evora engine which is stock at around 350 HP in the little Lotus chassis. I'm too old for that much excitement! Not to mention that I think it's nearly $100K! Yikes!
My go fast days are over. Now it's HELM'S A LEE!!!

BTW, here's my newest ride. A screaming 65 HP @ 62 MPG. Is it a classic? No, but at gas approaching $5 a gallon now EVERYONE wants one! LOL!! It's the 1st generation Honda Insight, made from 2000 to 2006.
Very familiar with the old Insight. Aluminum skinned hyper-miler. Every time gas goes up in price, so do the '00~06 Insights. If your long term read out is 62 mpg, you must of been a bit of a lead foot at times. The hyper-miler group breaks 100 mpg with that purpose designed car. The only thing more economical is my Smart Car Electric.

Don't feel bad, I've seen one Insight that was only displaying 54 mpg, now that owner had to of been a lead foot.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49   #205

I don't disagree at all about the point you are trying to make but it was obvious that the driver skill in the lotus made the video different from reality. The way it disposed of the two 7 reps really highlighted the skill difference

If the drivers were equal then the track day battle would have more closely resembled the Bathurst video

I think in the company of the other drivers I think a good driver could have had my lardy SL keeping up with and perhaps passing the Lambos and Ferraris all be it one at a time and at a much slower rate.

As for the straight line power and attempted passing by the more powerful cars, any muppet with a big V8, V10 or V12 can put their foot to the floor and take advantage of their cars power before losing their nerve and backing off for fast corners or braking early for the slow. I should know, I am one of those muppets. (more so from getting older and my expensive past mistake)
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53   #206

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Hi guy's,,i have been into old cars since i was old enough to drive (1971) and i have lost count of how many i have owned,,somewhere around 350 over the years,,,everything from Rovers and Triumphs, Fiats, Renault's.. to Dodges,,Fords, Chevy's..and then motorcycles.
I have never like pavement princesses, i like to drive what i own in all weather,,as it was meant to be.
But i am giving up my rusty steel habit and going to the sea,,,so my present projects are up for sale..sad but necessary.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53   #207

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

UNDERSTEER--when you hit the wall with the front end of the car
OVERSTEER --when you hit the wall with the back end of the car
HORSEPOWER --how fast you are going when you hit the wall
TORQUE -- how far you move the wall

The lament of my '65 Cobra gang.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55   #208

Just to make you happy Wireless here is a Caterham R500 posting a lap time faster than a Veyron on Top Gear... Times recorded by the same driver

Old 03-03-2012, 09:57   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Wrong....

I oversteered and the back end never touched anything

Old 03-03-2012, 09:58   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
HORSEPOWER --how fast you are going when you hit the wall
TORQUE -- how far you move the wall

The lament of my '65 Cobra gang.
Are you on any of the Cobra forums? I'm active on a new one....
Talk@CobraRegistry.com

And on the GT40 forum....
GT40s.com - Powered by vBulletin

I'm "deckofficer" on all the automotive forums. You would be surprised at how many go fast gear-heads share my background of slogging around day after day at 18 kt.