Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 00:14   #136

Boat: Baba 35
Re: Any classic car enthusiasts on board ?

I havent owned a car younger than myself. Theres just something about being able to open the hood and diagnose what is going on without the need for a computer that speaks to my tinkering nature.

My First car was a 1963 109" Series IIA Landrover. Loved it, but it became impractical in the city. (Took up 1.5 parking spaces at times)

I moved on to classic BMWs and am on my third.

1972 BMW 2002 Tii

This one looks more like Inka Orange, but the best I could find with Euro Indicators and bumpers.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 00:30   #137

Boat: 33ft sloop

Donkervoort, Bob - I almost bought one once. Had to wait one year for delivery and costing still 100K Dfl.

Where Lotus @ its derivates left, Donkervoort developed further. You have choices of different engines from the Audi Range, spooled up, and unbelievable top speeds (for open cars).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Donkervoort_D8_Bullet.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	37120  
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11   #138

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks a heap for the trip down memory lane, Bob... that photo really took me back in time. She is the one! However, there was an option for the larger engine which mine came equipped with. I believe the 3 cylinder was originally built by Lee Enfield for their motorcycle division, not too successfully, I recall. The front wheel chain drive was a little unreliable as well and used to break regularly, usually at the most inopportune time. That said, it was a fun, quick and surprisingly good handling little beast. I felt my butt was about 1 inch off the ground and there was very marginal suspension. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:30   #139

Boat: too many

My pleasure Capt. Phil.

Now a bit of a thread drift, has anyone scanned some old pictures of family cars when they were young? Not too far off topic because most all cars as old as some of us are today's classics.

Family fun camping during the mid 50's.

Skiing later 50's, I'm the little one

Leaving to go skiing mid 60's.

What I chose to earn a living at almost 20 years before CMA, the Merchant Marine, and hauling 2,000 containers at a time.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:36   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The last post now states

"Originally Posted by deckofficer

The owner has been asked to join this forum, so I will wait for him to answer.

Tell him he only has one chance then we will have Nomad "assimilate" him. "we are the Borg"

I guess if you don't want to assimilate into a Borg, you need to answer some questions on your cars.
Aussie Ford muscle cars
I'm at work at the moment and duty called before i could get over there so it was 8 hours on the bridge while we connected up the tow, then a bit of overdue rack time.....anyhow i finally got registered and posted.....now back to the bridge.....only 4 hours this time....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 17:51   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I'm at work at the moment and duty called before i could get over there so it was 8 hours on the bridge while we connected up the tow, then a bit of overdue rack time.....anyhow i finally got registered and posted.....now back to the bridge.....only 4 hours this time....
I don't know what it is with that forum, but they have a disproportionate number of merchant mariners within that small group. You and I have just added another two. One of the guys, Nomad, works the Washington State ferries between the San Juan Islands.
Old 08-02-2012, 18:08   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Any classic car enthusiasts on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
1966 Series 2a 109 Land Rover is my current Classic Brit Sport Car. It must be a Brit Sports Car because it's underpowered, no synchro on 1st and 2nd, rides like a buckboard, has side curtains, Top takes a 1/2 hour to erect. and leaks like sieve when it rains.
Sounds like my 71 Ford Bronco accept it will climb up and over anything it can get some traction on...its all stock and original except cut rear fenders with fairings applied..1965 Mustang(not worth the trouble it causes me) ,Had a 84 Corvette, 50 Ford (shoebox) coupe flathead V-8,.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:21   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Any classic car enthusiasts on board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I forgot one that I had for 5 years: 1970 Cadillac Eldorado, 500 cu. in. 400 HP, 550 ft/lbs torque. Was fun squealing the front tires when there were almost no other front wheel drives. It got 0 MPG and weighed 100,000 lbs. Also had 63 Jeep Wagoneer. Learned to drive in my moms 64 Corvair. Had a 71 Plymouth something or other and a 66 Bonneville. 2nd car was a Mercury Capri. Remember them? Got stuck in the sand alongside Tampa Bay in my sisters Dodge Dart the first day I got my license. Those were the days.
I had two Capris w/the German made V6,strong cars...But I didnt think they were cool, as this was in 1980 and they were 72 or 73 models and I was 15 yrs old..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:07   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
My pleasure Capt. Phil.

Now a bit of a thread drift, has anyone scanned some old pictures of family cars when they were young? Not too far off topic because most all cars as old as some of us are today's classics.

Family fun camping during the mid 50's.

Skiing later 50's, I'm the little one

Leaving to go skiing mid 60's.

What I chose to earn a living at almost 20 years before CMA, the Merchant Marine, and hauling 2,000 containers at a time.

Nice set of polish Buds. Detriot V-8 I take it? My KW had a 8V92 Golden Eagle. 4.5 MPG and 104 MPH up or down, loaded or empty. Kinda scary seeing 45 LBS of manifold pressure...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nice set of polish Buds. Detriot V-8 I take it? My KW had a 8V92 Golden Eagle. 4.5 MPG and 104 MPH up or down, loaded or empty. Kinda scary seeing 45 LBS of manifold pressure...
The rear wheels used to have chrome wire wheel inserts, but were too heavy and were starting to work loose, so I just removed them. The sleeper had a flat floor because it was in fact an 8V92TA. The truck was built as a marketing platform for Ford and others, so it was pretty tricked out. 9000 empty miles of doing the shows for a year, then I bought it and put it to work. I got around 6 MPG. It was named the "Savage". Girlfriend told me to stop by, I could park in her driveway what she thought was my new pick-up truck. She is behind the wheel in this picture.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02   #146

Boat: S2 9.2C
Ok....
I've always been a VW guy
My 2 Scirocco's when I moved to Scottsdale Arizona from Vancouver,Canada.
And the Scooter's are how we roll nowadays
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-317527604.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	37148  
Attached Images

WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:10   #147

Scooters are cool. Kinda hard to get one in and out of the dinghy. Here is my homebuilt, hot rod scooter. The motor is a Etek pancake PM unit that can produce 5 hp cont, 30 hp for 10 seconds and crazy fast. Will beat my Corvette to 40 MPH if you can stay on it. Batteries are (4) AGM Odyssesy PC680's in series for 48 volts. Controller 48 volt, 400 amp.

This 500 lb battery trailer gave it a 65 mile range.

These batteries gave it a 6 1/2 mile range, but easier to get in and out of the dink.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25   #148

Boat: S2 9.2C
Wow!
That's one cool scooter!
And that will fit in the dingy

A little interesting bit of useless trivia regarding my black/scallop Honda scooter.
It was the pit bike for Jim Dunn Racing back in 90's when Al Hoffman was running the Trans Am sponsored by RedLine Oil and MoonEyes It was the first car to break the 300mph barrier if I remember correctly. Al Hoffman and Jim Dunn's sig's are on the nose. The scooter was painted to match the Trans Am
WorldWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
The rear wheels used to have chrome wire wheel inserts, but were too heavy and were starting to work loose, so I just removed them. The sleeper had a flat floor because it was in fact an 8V92TA. The truck was built as a marketing platform for Ford and others, so it was pretty tricked out. 9000 empty miles of doing the shows for a year, then I bought it and put it to work. I got around 6 MPG. It was named the "Savage". Girlfriend told me to stop by, I could park in her driveway what she thought was my new pick-up truck. She is behind the wheel in this picture.
Ah yes, the Ford 9000 with the air ride cab. Scary at first in the mountains with all of that leaning the wrong way in corners going on...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Ah yes, the Ford 9000 with the air ride cab. Scary at first in the mountains with all of that leaning the wrong way in corners going on...
You got that right. Just have to train your mind as your surroundings are leaning over, that the CG is low and all is OK, kinda like a leaded keel mono-hull.