Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2007, 12:19   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An Interesting Observation

In today's 'Lectronic Latitude, a very interesting observation about the types of Cruisers who get the most out of the lifestyle is posited.

"August 24 - Raiatea, French Polynesia

(Click on the
photo to enlarge it.)
"Dude! Nice ride!" Raiatea's little secret.
© 2007 Michael Sullivan

"It has often occurred to us that the folks who get the most pleasure out of the cruising lifestyle are those who are 'all-around watersports types'. That is, in addition to their love of sailing, they also enjoy water-oriented pastimes like surfing, windsurfing, diving, kiteboarding, fishing or kayaking."

For more, go to:

Latitude 38 - Northern California's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

I wonder, do the Cruisers here at Cruisers Forum who get the most out of this way of life consider themselves "all-around watersports types?"

TaoJones
Old 24-08-2007, 12:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I'm more of a a been there, done that, got the T-shirt person now. That's why I am cruising and that's why I have the boat I have. No records could be broken and I don't really care now. My competitive nature is no longer competitive, but more a "have fun" nature.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 13:03   #3

Well, if you count fishing - like dragging a line when sailing between islands - yeah, I guess. I used to surf 30-40 years ago - no way I could fight my way out to catch a wave like that today. The next time I'm anchored in 12' breakers I'll probably wish I still had my surfboard - you know, so I could get the most out cruising.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 13:19   #4

Boat: Stevens 47
I'm definitely an all-round watersports type.....I LOVE to sail....I also LOVE to snorkel...I like to "range" when I snorkel....I'll spend more time underwater than on the surface....I also LOVE to fish...my new boat will end up with 5 different rodholders on it so I can run a spread......I also LOVE to surf...I never learned to surf coz I was always in the water bodysurfing (at Piha and Muriwai mostly) but when boogie boards came along they were made JUST for me...so one or two will be going on the journey with me....I will definitely be checking out the waves while on the Grand Sojourn...
You could have found me bodysurfing at Wrightsville Beach NC two weekends ago in a sloppy 4ft swell....I felt like I was 15 again!
Old 24-08-2007, 13:34   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Hell, 40 years ago I could have done that but didn't. (did they surf then?). I do get out to all the surfing competitions as I live in a surfing community. If the truth be told it's mostly for watching pretty ladies in their "T"-back bikinis (grin).

Now adays the only time that I ever get wet is when something on the boat breaks.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 13:47   #6

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
My all around water sports activities have become more centered as time passes.

I still enjoy sailing and doing snorkeling around a bit and even a short swim or seat-on-top kayak trip to the beach/ shore.

A growing sport is kicking back with a nice cold sundowner about 3:00... hey it sundown somewhere

Watching bikini clad or formerly clad ladies sunning on adjacent boats or walking on the beach.

AND the invigorating rain shower drills on deck are truly a rewarding athletic event.

Competition now a days is more like "will I be able to finish a chapter in a book before I fall asleep".

Yes, I am becoming Olympic material in some of these activities....
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 16:28   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Oh, yeah. Surfing, SCUBA, Water Skiing + Wakeboard, kayaks, dinghy's - if it's on or under the water let me at it. Never did kite surfing and sucked at windsurfing but I'll try it.

I'll fish to eat but won't fish to spend a day. Can't sit still that long.

And now racing ... Somone asked me the other day if I am getting hooked on racing cuz they are a "different breed" of sailor - yikes...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 08:04   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
You can enjoy watersports and cruising without being an adrenalin junkie. Most of my cruising friends sail near enough to the edge that they have plenty of adventure in their life, and they appear to have a limited need to experience an adrenalin rush. They have a quieter type of enjoyment of the cruising experience.

As for me, I have a severe ALLERGY TO PAIN AND ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY. After I broke two legs and five ribs in a car accident, I never want to experience pain like that again or have any more orthopedic surgery. Everytime I think about kite surfing and other more extreme adventures, I think about pain, and how much I don't like it.

When I broke two legs, it took more than six months for one of my femoral factures to heal. That stopped my cruising for nearly a year as it is a bad idea to sail offshore with fractures that have not healed.

I enjoy riding motorcycles, but I don't ride them anymore. My aversion to pain and orthopedic surgery strikes again.

Adrenalin based watersports are awesome. I can watch them all day long. But as for me and my bones, we are going to sea kyack, snorkle, and sail downwind in the trades. Life doesn't get much better than that.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 18:37   #9
elf

Boat: Catalina 30
Kayaking, yes; snorkeling, yes; surfing, windsurfing, diving, kiteboarding, fishing, no.

I've always had a love for the water, taking LONG walks on the beach or being lulled to sleep by the crashing waves. I've never slept better than in a cottage on the Atlantic coast, no air-conditioning, just the sounds of the ocean outside the window when I was a child and my family would vacation at the beach every June. The sea gets under your skin and lures you back, again and again.

My younger brother is an avid surfer and lives at the coast. He shared the experiences I had growing up and loved the ocean as well; his love is simply expressed in a different form than mine.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 18:50   #10

No... Warm water swimming and snorkelling and the occassional dive is all I need.

Jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote