Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:43   #1

am/fm Radio

Hello everyone,
Can anyone help with info in regards to music am/fm radio for boat
What kind of aerial/antenna I will need please for example
off shore and still being able to listen to the radio
Cheers
Robfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:51   #2

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers
Re: Am/fm. Radio

I don't know what head unit you have in you boat. When we were updating our Columbia we installed a Clarion CMS1 and had several options for antennas. In the end we used a 25' long single wire and ran it along the headliner for AM/FM, We've had reception almost all the way to West End Bahamas picking up Florida stations. We also have XM installed so if we are really in the boonies we can get BBC or our favorite channels.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline
I don't know what head unit you have in you boat. When we were updating our Columbia we installed a Clarion CMS1 and had several options for antennas. In the end we used a 25' long single wire and ran it along the headliner for AM/FM, We've had reception almost all the way to West End Bahamas picking up Florida stations. We also have XM installed so if we are really in the boonies we can get BBC or our favorite channels.
I have just looked your clarion up and it looks like a nice unit ,good looking to
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18   #4

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

We're happy with it .. It mounts out of the way, doesn't require large holes for the head unit, supports multiple inputs including ipod, weather, xm etc.. my recommendation is to buy a wireless remote we regret not getting one yet.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offline
We're happy with it .. It mounts out of the way, doesn't require large holes for the head unit, supports multiple inputs including ipod, weather, xm etc.. my recommendation is to buy a wireless remote we regret not getting one yet.
Thanks ,I will definitely look into it cheers
Do you know how much range it has from land , and is it fact that the better your antenna the better and farther the reception
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06   #6

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Reception is totally dependent upon the antennae. The higher you mount it the farther your reception will be. I might be mistaken but I think AM/FM antennaes are passive receivers and do not interfere with other radio signals either.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

FM stereo is line of sight, so the higher the antenna the further away you can get the station. AM can catch signals on the bounce and can work quite well with a piece of wire run inside the cabin.

For super FM stereo you can put a splitter in the marine VHF-FM antennae from your masthead. I have picked up FL stations in Marsh Harbor with that setup.

Splitters are available in manual and automatic. I get the manual version, one input from the antennae and A/B switch to send the output to stereo or marine radio. Some sailors question using the antennae for stereo and possible impact on range or reliability of the marine radio. I've never had a problem but also install the switch right by the radio so if there is a problem it is really easy to reconnect the antennae directly to the VHF.

Switches cost about $40 from Defender.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 12:47   #8
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: AM / FM Radio

You didn't ask, so forgive my two cents worth about satellite radio, which I absolutely love. It's popular in cars. Pro: tons of stations to suit all tastes in music, talk, opera, news and even an old-time station playing old radio shows such as Lux Radio Theater. con: costs about $17 a month to subscribe.
Old 18-05-2011, 03:53   #9

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Mmmm, I am sitting back this minute listening to Gustav Mahler piece on ABC Classic FM sipping a decent Scotch on the rocks contemplating the interior of my beautiful little boat which is swaying gently whilst tied off to the outside of a lake yacht club: it’s a bloody hard life!

At the moment the music is coming out fine via the old Pioneer sound system I salvaged after my camper van had a house land on it. It is one of those fold down front versions. I bought it because I was hoping this would keep the dust out driving on dirt roads. Maybe it will do the same with the salt spray, though I do accept it is NOT a waterproof version. Regardless, the Fusion brand seems to make some decent water resistant models, one that even receives VHF.

As I just ordered one of the things earlier this week I am hoping the advice about splitters and reception is spot on. As stated above I got mine for about $40. It is a Shakespeare one. I have always thought it might also be useful to have an antenna socket you could plug a dedicated long range radio receiver into;something like a decent Sangean model. For the moment though I will just have to put up with the pioneer CD/radio. One of the other reasons I bought it was their reputation for having quality receivers.

In passing anyone know anything about listening to radio stations over SSB / UHF receivers? I am sure this would be one way of getting soothing tunes anywhere?
Old 18-05-2011, 16:58   #10

Boat: Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
In passing anyone know anything about listening to radio stations over SSB / UHF receivers? I am sure this would be one way of getting soothing tunes anywhere?
Hi Shane, Looks like you are doing fine.

I used the HF and punch in the AM stations frequency. You can get radio Aust or Radio NZ'. Google frequency and program times for the info needed.

Cheers
DC
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 17:45   #11

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up Re: AM / FM Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Hi Shane, Looks like you are doing fine.

I used the HF and punch in the AM stations frequency. You can get radio Aust or Radio NZ'. Google frequency and program times for the info needed.

Cheers
DC
Thanks – before I head too far offshore I am seriously thinking about getting a HF set. From playing with radio sets as a kid and reading accounts of various circumnavigators I was sure they received various radio stations. Seems now like another good reason to start saving.

Again in passing, all is fine. Just doing some work on the boat and getting a new set of sails and a few other necessities before heading your way. I can’t complain about the delay as this morning was so incredible. One of those super still foggy sunups and it was so cosy in the v-berth. Only minor drama is that something around the yacht club wants to interfere with AM reception so I missed my morning dose of ABC National Australia.
Old 18-05-2011, 20:36   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: am/fm Radio

My short wave receiver sucks on the AM bands. Even the cheapest offering works better.

What I'd like to know is : Can I use a VHF aerial with an AM/FM radio? Well I know I can but is the loss of performance on AM/FM worth the gain in having a backup VHF antenna?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 22:45   #13

Boat: Skookum 53'

There is a listening guide for short wave radios.
Passport to World Band Radio

sorry about the font, I copied it from Amazon's web site. It is a good resource for listening.
Old 19-05-2011, 00:23   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Thanks – before I head too far offshore I am seriously thinking about getting a HF set. From playing with radio sets as a kid and reading accounts of various circumnavigators I was sure they received various radio stations. Seems now like another good reason to start saving.
You don't have to save much for a good reciever.

degen 1103 | eBay UK

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 06:40   #15

Some car stereo manufacturers make units that cover some shortwave bands as well as AM/FM. These are mostly available outside the US. I imported a Sony unit that works ok with the antenna connected to the masthead marine VHF antenna via a splitter. It was only $99 USD so I can't complain. The nice thing about car stereo units is you can add other accessories like CD changers and iPod controllers. And, their fidelity is better than dedicated HF receivers and amateur units.

But, if you are going for SW reception performance (pulling in distant stations) a good dedicated HF receiver and antenna will perform better.

On the topic of SW distance performance... the cheaper portable receivers are not that great. You need to spend serious $$$ for the best performance. Average amateur rigs will outperform cheap HF receivers on reception, but amateur rigs are a relatively more cumbersome to operate (more knobs and fiddly bits).
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio