Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 05:41   #661

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The trailer to this looks fantastic, but why oh why did they have to add a stowaway? I'm going to watch this tonight.
To understand the French mentality. It is liberte, egalite, fraternite (or something like this) and believe me or not, most of the French (sailors) I know stand by it. Their trust is in the fellow men rather than in a divine entity. Hence the stowaway. It fits into their vision of what man is just as Robert's solitude fits into the American credo. He gets what he deserves, I think it is called predestination (or something like this)

If you have dolby surround, activate it - some sound effects are absolutely great - the carbon grind and the moments when they go faaaaast and smack into the waves. We were virtually sailing with them.

Have fun watching!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 09:33   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A horrible movie. Utterly unrealistic and very poor acting from Robert.

We have watched the other movie, the one made on an IMOCA Vendee Globe theme and it is SO MUCH better. When the boat hit the wave ... we actually ducked in our seats waiting for a cold shower down our spines ....

En solitaire (2013) - IMDb

Cheers,
b.
Where online can Turning Tide / En solitaire be found to watch?
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 10:56   #663
cruiser

My favorite lesson was learning that when one is preparing to meet a storm, one should take the time to shave, rather than all the other things people usually waste the limited time doing. Because shaving is more important than, say, setting storm sail while it's safe to walk on the foredeck.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:38   #664

Boat: 1986 Endeavour 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
My favorite lesson was learning that when one is preparing to meet a storm, one should take the time to shave, rather than all the other things people usually waste the limited time doing. Because shaving is more important than, say, setting storm sail while it's safe to walk on the foredeck.

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the movie. When he went down below I thought he was getting a storm sail, or stowing equipment, maybe even double checking his repair. Nope he chose to look his best before the storm.
But it did make me start to rethink my decision to use hanked on sails and not a furler system. I have most of the winter to ponder that thought though.

Joe
SV Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:56   #665

Boat: Pearson 323

Just a FIY All is Lost is now available on Netflix streaming so you all can enjoy it again
Weatherhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 16:32   #666

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
Where online can Turning Tide / En solitaire be found to watch?
We watched in a theatre.

BUT if you are happy with VOD HD then just Google around some ...

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 17:07   #667

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

When you see all the dumb, stupid things done by people out cruising on small sailboats ALL IS LOST becomes a realistic account of a portion of the sailing community.

Remember that this movie was created for the entertainment of a vast majority of non-sailors.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 17:15   #668

Boat: Bristol 27

I like the part when he shaved also, but it wasn't in Callahan's book.

I don't believe Callahan got a chance to shave after his boat hit whatever it was that he did hit or that hit his 21' sailboat.

76 Days At Sea[edit]

Main article: Adrift: 76 Days Lost At Sea
Callahan departed Newport, in Rhode Island, USA, in 1981 on Napoleon Solo, a 6.5-meter (21.3-foot) sloop he designed and built himself, single-handedly sailed the boat to Bermuda, and continued the voyage to England with friend Chris Latchem. He had left Cornwall that fall, bound for Antigua as part of the Mini Transat 6.50 single-handed sailing race from Penzance, England, but dropped out of the race in La Coruña, Spain. Bad weather had sunk several boats in the fleet and damaged many others including Napoleon Solo. Callahan made repairs and continued voyaging down the coast of Spain and Portugal, out to Madeira and the Canaries. He departed El Hierro in the Canary Islands on January 29, 1982, still headed for Antigua. In a growing gale, seven days out, his vessel was badly holed by an unknown object during a night storm, and became swamped, although it did not sink outright due to watertight compartments Callahan had designed into the boat. In his book, Callahan writes that he suspects the damage occurred from a collision with a whale.
Unable to stay aboard Napoleon Solo as it filled with water and was overwhelmed by breaking seas, Callahan escaped into a six-person Avon inflatable life raft, measuring about six feet across. He stood off in the raft, but managed to get back aboard several times to dive below and retrieve a piece of cushion, a sleeping bag, and an emergency kit containing, among other things, some food, navigation charts, a short spear gun, flares, torch, solar stills for producing drinking water and a copy of Sea Survival, a survival manual written by Dougal Robertson, a fellow ocean survivor. Before dawn, a big breaking sea parted the life raft from Napoleon Solo and Callahan drifted away.[3]
The raft drifted westward with the South Equatorial Current and the trade winds. After exhausting the meager food supplies he had salvaged from the sinking sloop, Callahan survived by "learning to live like an aquatic caveman." He ate primarily mahi-mahi as well as triggerfish, which he speared, along with flying fish, barnacles, and birds that he captured. The sea life was all part of an ecosystem that evolved and followed him for 1,800 nautical miles (3,300 km) across the ocean. He collected drinking water from two solar stills and various jury-rigged devices for collecting rainwater, which together produced on average just over a pint of water per day.
Callahan's use of an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) and many flares did not trigger a rescue. EPIRBs were not monitored by satellites at the time, and he was in too empty a part of the ocean to be heard by aircraft. Ships did not spot his flares. While adrift, he spotted nine ships, most in the two sea lanes he crossed, but from the beginning, Callahan knew that he could not rely upon rescue but instead must, for an undetermined time, rely upon himself and maintaining a shipboard routine for survival. He routinely exercised, navigated, prioritized problems, made repairs, fished, improved systems, and built food and water stocks for emergencies.
On the eve of April 20, 1982, he spotted lights on the island of Marie Galante, south east of Guadeloupe. The next day, Callahan's 76th afloat in the raft, fishermen picked him up just offshore, drawn to him by birds hovering over the raft, which were attracted by the ecosystem that had developed around it. During the ordeal, he faced sharks, raft punctures, equipment deterioration, physical deterioration, and mental stress. Having lost a third of his weight and being covered with scores of saltwater sores, he was taken to a local hospital for an afternoon, but left that evening and spent the following weeks recovering on the island and while hitchhiking on boats up through the West Indies.
During his journey, Callahan experienced many positive elements as well as suffering, describing the night sky at one point as "A view of heaven from a seat in hell." He still enjoys sailing and the sea, which he calls the world's greatest wilderness. Since his survival drift, he's made dozens of additional offshore passages and ocean crossings, most of them with no more than two other crew.
This incident is featured on the I Shouldn't Be Alive episode 76 Days Adrift... Callahan's story also featured on an episode of British Survival expert Ray Mears Television series Extreme Survival.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 03:34   #669

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A horrible movie. Utterly unrealistic and very poor acting from Robert.

We have watched the other movie, the one made on an IMOCA Vendee Globe theme and it is SO MUCH better. When the boat hit the wave ... we actually ducked in our seats waiting for a cold shower down our spines ....

Cheers,
b.
What a fantastic movie. thanks for letting me know about this.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 10:25   #670

Boat: Pearson 323

I just finished watching All is Lost for a second time. now that I know what is going to happen I had time to pick it apart

did anyone notice after he made the repair on the boat and starts sailing again they show him tacking and trimming. nice big selftailing winches but he ties off to a cleat!

My favorite scene is in the storm when he falls over and is dragged by his lifeline. really gave me the chills I singlehand a lot and this is one of my fears.
That scene is well done, but I dont think I would have been messing with the storm jib in that weather he should have been clipping it on instead of shaving before the storm hit.
Weatherhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 12:36   #671

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I don't now if it was mentioned in all the precious post but

Why no EPIRB?
Navigation with a sextant doesn't work that way
Why no hand-held GPS?
pouring fresh water on a radio makes it work? really?
Tell me how a threaded coax connections unscrews itself
He went up the mast to fix a VHF antenna? VHF is line of sight reception so he would have been able to see who he was trying to call.

The list goes on.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 16:35   #672

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I don't now if it was mentioned in all the precious post but

Why no EPIRB?
Navigation with a sextant doesn't work that way
Why no hand-held GPS?
pouring fresh water on a radio makes it work? really?
Tell me how a threaded coax connections unscrews itself
He went up the mast to fix a VHF antenna? VHF is line of sight reception so he would have been able to see who he was trying to call.

The list goes on.
Yes, they all were.
And some were precious.
Old 19-10-2014, 07:26   #673

Boat: Club Sailor; various

In hindsight I think All Is Lost has proven to be a great tutorial. It's like one of those childhood puzzle books, "what's wrong with this picture?"

Rather than focusing on all the negatives as poor film making, I think there is much to be learned and/or reinforced by going over all the mistakes the character and producers made in this film.

Maybe there should be a contest to see who can identify the most mistakes?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 00:57   #674

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I tried to start a new thread about this movie as I think it was so good it deserves a thread on its own. But I can't find where I put the thread.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 02:26   #675
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

I tried to start a new thread about this movie as I think it was so good it deserves a thread on its own. But I can't find where I put the thread.
This one ???
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ie-134827.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie