Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 15:58   #451

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Boby was prepared; he knew his lines.
Got a good chuckle out of that saltmonkey, "Oh **-k" is really hard to remember.
Old 23-02-2014, 16:03   #452

Boat: Bristol 27

Actually, the movie showed what a real pita sailing can be.

If you are really tired, the wind comes up. If a line can get hung up on something, it will.

Old Bob sure did go into the water a lot though................he ain't afraid of a challenge.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:35   #453

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Haven't seen it but will. Redford does some stuff all his own. Kind of like Clint.

Million Dollar Baby was a dark one. One his best though.

All is Lost sounds a bit like my life before things turned a little brighter. Working on my boat gave me a bit of direction till the dark clouds cleared.
Don't do it. Depressing. Worst film I have seen in years.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 17:06   #454

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Don't do it. Depressing. Worst film I have seen in years.
Actually, it was really good.

Maybe some cannot deal with the idea. What the F- - K was some old guy doing 1700 miles from land out in the ocean by himself?

Sailing can be tough, and the movie shows it. I've been boating most of my life, and raced sailboats for about 15 years but being anchored in a bad spot for a couple days can really wear a person down.

In the movie, the guy went through much worse, and he appeared to be like 75 years old. It seemed very realistic too. When you are tired bad things can happen.............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 17:39   #455

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have been a Redford fan for years, and awaited seeing this with much anticipation. Thought it was one of the worst movies I had seen in a long time. Had read the book "Adrift" this winter about an individual who's sailboat went down under similar circumstances and spent 70 plus days in a raft and survived because he was prepared, unlike Bob.
Ok I am I to understand that you are disappointed with the actor, because he portrayed an incompetent sailor ???
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 18:09   #456

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Ok I am I to understand that you are disappointed with the actor, because he portrayed an incompetent sailor ???
no because of his involvement with a poorly researched, badly executed film, was hoping for more.
Old 23-02-2014, 19:15   #457

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
no because of his involvement with a poorly researched, badly executed film, was hoping for more.
Its a movie !! I have not seen anything that is properly researched , well executed coming from Hollywood ( Captain Phillips was very good, and yet even though it is a documentary, Hollywood did its thing) .
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 19:27   #458

Listen, we all wanted this to be a great movie. It simply wasn't.

It lacked any type of story line and was as executing as watching my neighbor mow the lawn.
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 19:34   #459

Agree it is just a movie, but...how many times have you left the hatch open when it is pouring down? What are the odds of taking a new sextant, instructions and get good positions every day? Just to many items that with some thought could have be made much more believable. Good activist, just not enough background work.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 19:55   #460

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Horrible movie. Redford is a good actor, but just could'nt get over the huge (pretty much in every scene) number of technical errors!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 23:01   #461
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
Horrible movie. Redford is a good actor, but just could'nt get over the huge (pretty much in every scene) number of technical errors!
Please enlighten me to an experience you have had scuttling a boat at sea and tell me all the technical errors you made in the process from calling a Mayday to deploying a life raft. And then make that comparison to the movie errors.

When I went through my sinking it was a lot longer than 120 minutes. To compile the amount of technical errors one will make in a real life event into a movie this long is a work of art in my mind.

If you viewed every scene the crew and I made (if we were being filmed I'd say you'd find a ton of errors of the 9 day process.) We sat in a life raft for over 4 days with a hole in the middle of it.

Myself and two others were former Navy and one was former USCG rescue swimmer. (first one to the basket) But told us all how to get there when we were ready to jump out of our inflatable piss trap.

From absolute well trained experience I can say this movie did it's job. One of the few times I saw holloywood did something cool relating to my interest. Anyone judging this movie has not calculated the amount of other errors his character made.

He actually does more right in the Movie than they show him doing wrong. But I guess that is what I was looking for from a personal experience.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 23:21   #462

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Total WOFTAM. Luckily only my time was involved and not my money.
Not even worthy of further comment except to say.... mopping the cabin sole after bailing out the water? Bit houseproud methinks..
Also watched Captain Phillips... ditto.... 'give me another 5 revs Chief and we can outrun these pirate chappies'... Oh OK...

A few days after watching these two pearlers ( with the benefit of rum to numb the pain) I found myself at 35000 feet and guess what was on the 'blockbuster' list of viewing delights...
I chose to watch 'Gone with the Wind ' in Technicolor... 4 hours... good value....
Old 24-02-2014, 00:43   #463

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman View Post

No gratuitous swearing, no hip-hop music BS, no obligatory White racist beatdown, no lesbian scene, no bashing of Christians/Conservatives. No overt attempt to make a Straight White Male seem stupid, weak, or evil.

I liked it!
You'll probably want to give "12 Years a Slave" a pass then.
Old 24-02-2014, 00:54   #464

Boat: S&S 40

Probably good there wasn't any dialog..adding insult to injury. Just a movie, still, we pay to see it, the idea was good, pitty it turned into a B grade flick. Going to Cannes? Surely there got to be some standard ?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 04:31   #465

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Actually, it was really good.

Maybe some cannot deal with the idea. What the F- - K was some old guy doing 1700 miles from land out in the ocean by himself?

Sailing can be tough, and the movie shows it. I've been boating most of my life, and raced sailboats for about 15 years but being anchored in a bad spot for a couple days can really wear a person down.

In the movie, the guy went through much worse, and he appeared to be like 75 years old. It seemed very realistic too. When you are tired bad things can happen.............
Power to old guys. I respect anyone having a go and doing the best they can. I just don't want to be depressed by relenting negative situations and frustrations. No fun, no excitement, no charm, no nothing positive. I don't need that.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie