Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 03:39   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I will be watching it for sure. Let's not forget that it is not aimed at the hard core cruisers of the world, there are not enough of them to make it a profitable picture. Has to be some engaging interest for the non sailing average Joe/Joess to be able to understand what is going off on the screen. Guess doctors can pick holes in medical films and every other profession who's jobs become a feature film.

Coops.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:13   #17

Boat: Seidelmann, S37' 1985
Send a message via Skype™ to dockbumdan

particularly like his "OH SHI*! expression when he see's the approching storm and hears the thunder rumble.
dan.sloopjb@gmail.com
If you never ran aground, Your Not Sailing!
dockbumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 04:24   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Someone mentioned realistic waves. Two movies that got it right in my mind are Master and Commander and Life of Pi.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:02   #19

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

It appears he tightens the knurled (round) coax fitting with a crescent wrench. Seems like the wrong tool for the job.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Someone mentioned realistic waves. Two movies that got it right in my mind are Master and Commander and Life of Pi.
Amen to both those.

Life of Pi were sometimes surrealistic, of course, but intentionally so, and that was entirely appropriate to the thrust of the movie.

And I liked the way the storm when the ship sank was really quite understated. Especially by movie standards.

I really got the feeling that for those two movies, the "expert help" were actually given due deference.

I don't actually understand how it qualifies as nitpicking to rubbish a movie where they paid highly skilled people to tell them how to make it authentic, then at the end of the process wilfully threw all the authentic footage away and did the exact opposite ... quickly, cheaply and badly ... just to pander to a cocktail of wilful ignorance and wishful fantasy.

Sure, that's where the money is. So is prostitution.

Life of Pi didn't pander to anyone.

I didn't actually "get" it when I watched it:

I had to read the book.

(I couldn't follow some of the dialog - the Indians were fine, because they enunciate English so clearly -- but American drawl is starting to elude me, and I couldn't understand the Japanese investigators at the end......

that's my face-saving excuse, but possibly I'm just too thick... and I'm absolutely FINE with that.

It's a rare thing, a brave thing, and I personally think a good thing, for a film to be LESS self explanatory than the same story in book form. And to do it SO well, that it manages to turn a profit ...

That's brilliance. I reckon.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
It appears he tightens the knurled (round) coax fitting with a crescent wrench. Seems like the wrong tool for the job.
Yeah, that does seem like the wrong tool for the job. But, maybe in the original scene filming he had to tighten the mounting nut on the VHF antenna first in which case it would have been the right tool to use. But, that part got cut out in the editing as too long and tedious for film watchers. But, him using the crescent wrench remained in the film. Not making excuses just trying to see why it was in the film. Hollywood does not always have to be accurate just believable to enough to most of the audience. I'm sure most of this film's audience has not spent a lot of time on the water let alone the top of the mast. So they won't notice this but, the crowd here will because "we've been there and done that".
Old 23-05-2013, 05:34   #22

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

nit picking alert - I've spent a lot of time up the mast recently, gave up using lanyards on the tools pretty quick once i taught myself not to drop them, and one other thing you do when you go up the mast is make damn sure you've got tools enough to do everything that needs doing up there - so - they could be either; making a mess of showing what someone thinks a guy might be doing up a mast or; showing someone who's experienced enough to not bother with tying the tools on and fixing a couple of things while he's up there - who know, who cares (maybe robert redford has done a bit of sailing - he could afford it...)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
nit picking alert - I've spent a lot of time up the mast recently, gave up using lanyards on the tools pretty quick once i taught myself not to drop them, and one other thing you do when you go up the mast is make damn sure you've got tools enough to do everything that needs doing up there - so - they could be either; making a mess of showing what someone thinks a guy might be doing up a mast or; showing someone who's experienced enough to not bother with tying the tools on and fixing a couple of things while he's up there - who know, who cares (maybe robert redford has done a bit of sailing - he could afford it...)
Another possibility for not attaching the lanyard is that after he sees the storm approaching he drops the tool which then punctures the deck before before bouncing over the side into the water.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I'm curious as to how this film will be viewed by the guys trying to convince 'The Lady' to sail round the world with him...
An asset... will RR's lazy grin tickle their fancies and smother any fears of 'the storm'....
or...
A no-no.... scare's her witless... and a "No Way Jose.."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 05:56   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Jenijane and I are currently in Cannes Old Port. Will try to get some tickets to see it !
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 06:04   #26

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Fantastic. I guarantee that my parents will go see this and Mom will flip out about our cruising plans. :lol As if my mom wasn't worried enough already...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 06:36   #27

Boat: Catalina 30
Ah, working aloft. No tool bucket on a hand line. I personally leave the tools below and hoist them up using a hand line once I am were I want to work.

Gonna see this movie. Looks pretty interesting.
Old 23-05-2013, 06:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm curious as to how this film will be viewed by the guys trying to convince 'The Lady' to sail round the world with him...
An asset... will RR's lazy grin tickle their fancies and smother any fears of 'the storm'....
or...
A no-no.... scare's her witless... and a "No Way Jose.."
More positive than negative I'd say for some cruisers. Should free up more anchorage space in the future as wives put the kabosh on the husband's cruising dreams. Though it won't affect us solo "Robert Redford" type sailor plans.
Old 23-05-2013, 08:14   #29

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

From the clip it's appears he's found the fitting off. If so, I would guess RR is savvy enough to tell the director: "No man, we don't need a crescent wrench for this job." Apparently not.

Movies make big mistakes. Even spelling errors. I didn't see the movie but shouldn't the spelling have been: The Hoarse Whisperer?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 08:53   #30

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
October 25th in North America .. torture why would you go and tell us about this NOW ?

Too bad we couldn't get an early viewing at the Annapolis Sailboat show!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie