Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 18:38   #1

ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Lot's of buzz at the Cannes Film Festival about the Robert Redford film ALL IS LOST about a sailing solo cruiser who can't seem to catch a break. Looks like the ultimate boat movie or maybe it's a biopic of Boatman61. You can see a clip here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ALL IS LOST: THE MOVIE
Old 22-05-2013, 18:54   #2

Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Lot's of buzz at the Cannes Film Festival about the Robert Redford film ALL IS LOST about a sailing solo cruiser who can't seem to catch a break. Looks like the ultimate boat movie or maybe it's a biopic of Boatman61. You can see a clip here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ALL IS LOST: THE MOVIE
Right on, this looks like it could be really good.

Thanks for posting.
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 18:54   #3

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Awesome, thanks for sharing.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 19:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Found another web site with more details.

‘All Is Lost’: Robert Redford Toplines a Moving Survival Drama | Variety

What a concept. A movie without any explosions or car chase scenes.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 20:27   #5

October 25th in North America .. torture why would you go and tell us about this NOW ?

Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 21:03   #6

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

uh oh, pop culture snapping on our heels, read an article this morning about "traffic jams" at the summit of mt everest - at least that wont happen out in the pacific if everyone starts casting off in boats...looks like a good movie though.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 21:49   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
So far we are tempted by a guy climbing a mast with real nice clicking sounds and great ease. How does he do that?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 23:05   #8

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
So far we are tempted by a guy climbing a mast with real nice clicking sounds and great ease. How does he do that?
Climbing ascenders such as Camp Pilot |Ascenders | BackcountryGear.com | Ships Free like a portable cam cleat.

I use two, on two different halyards. Attach a line with a foot loop to the lower holes, and "walk" up the mast. I have always been single handed. My ex used to come sailing with me, but didn't want to actually participate, other than cooking and walking on the beach, so no one to haul me up in a bosuns chair
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 23:56   #9

Am I the only person thinking

"Hmmm ... What's the point of a lanyard on a wrench if you don't hook it round your wrist?"

Still, maybe he's authentically acting a fallible newbie, who knows.

I certainly hope they do a better job of realistic heavy weather at sea than the current Kon Tiki movie, whose truly execrable trailer I suffered through recently.

In fact, I can't recall a non-doco movie with even vaguely identifiable depictions of big waves in mid ocean.

There was one which very briefly got it right, about a rescue swimmer played by Kevin Costner, but then they spoiled it all within seconds, as they always seem to.

I guess the fat men who sign the cheques look sneeringly at any footage which has the tiniest element of realism, and veto it flatly.

"That don't look real to me", I imagine they intone, as they light their next cigar from the butt of their last one.

And then, to validate their ignorance, their focus group pre-release audiences are drawn from habitual moviegoers, rather than sailors.

It matters not what IS authentic, only what is PERCEIVED as authentic.
To generations raised on increasingly twisted simulations of reality.

And so yet another generation of kids is raised who will find the real world pale and unconvincing, in comparison with what they were led to expect.

It would be soul destroying to be the sort of expert advisor who gets hired to put in the authentic details, like the lanyard on Redford's wrench, only to have the important stuff over-ruled.

Some friends of mine served in that role, and as stunt doubles, for the climbing movie filmed in NZ (doubling for the high Himalaya) a few years back, so awful it wasn't just cringe making for them, it was actually white-anger territory. They didn't even go to the gala opening.

It was so bad I can't even remember the name.

The only 'stunts' which survived into release were blatantly contrary to physics, let alone human possibilities. It's as though they'd fired everyone at the eleventh hour and hired the guys who make movies about superheroes to reshoot all the good stuff.

Even without any knowledge of these elements, the stunts and their pretexts were so unrelentingly awful and bizarrely unconvincing you'd think a moderately intelligent small child would roll their eyes. And the plot was sub puerile.

.... It did quite well at the box office (sigh...)

And yet there was truly great stuff filmed, which all ended up on the cutting-room floor...

As if to show it needn't be like that, 'Touching the Void' struck me as almost the polar opposite. I haven't been up mountains in that particular (and horribly dangerous) locale, but it smacked of authenticity to me.

And a truly rivetting, true story, more gobsmackingly gutwrenching (and with more tension between loyalty and betrayal) that any fictional script.

Don't recall it going gangbusters on ticket sales, though ... ... ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Am I the only person thinking

"Hmmm ... What's the point of a lanyard on a wrench if you don't hook it round your wrist?"
No! Only my brain also started thinking about cleaning that VHF cable connection and putting some dielectric grease on...

Here's hoping that we get a nice realistic sailing film. For a sport which normally doesn't get much media coverage it would be a shame if this is just another unrealistic load of garbage a la Perfect Storm. Only four lines of dialogue in the whole film makes me optimistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Hmmm. Line led from becket on harness, to double block on masthead, back to block on harness, back to masthead and down to his hands. No room for clicky thing!! Looks like film trickery! Note also how we cut from double block to single block... Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maersi View Post
Climbing ascenders such as Camp Pilot |Ascenders | BackcountryGear.com | Ships Free like a portable cam cleat.

I use two, on two different halyards. Attach a line with a foot loop to the lower holes, and "walk" up the mast. I have always been single handed. My ex used to come sailing with me, but didn't want to actually participate, other than cooking and walking on the beach, so no one to haul me up in a bosuns chair
Only way to do it, there are no magic clicky things for singlehanders in the real world! He's getting hauled up be someone on deck for sure, with clicky noises added afterwards. Maybe his system would work if you moved an ascender above where you were pulling, but holding yourself up with one hand on a 4:1 purchase while moving it up would get old pretty quickly I think... Unless anyone has any experience of using a system like this in the real world?
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:29   #11

Also look at the frequency the line is vibrating at at 0:10. No way you could get that by hand. Hole drilled in coachroof with wincher below...

Actually wait, not even that. 0:12 you see him grab on thin air. CGI on the line he's puling, maybe internal halyard to winch below. A one minute clip and we can already tear it apart
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:41   #12

Boat: Privilege 37

I did like the comment>

End credits pay touching tribute to the three 1978 Cal 39 sailboats that “generously gave themselves up for art.”
Old 23-05-2013, 02:43   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

It does get some really good reviews, and the virtually no dialogue is a plus, think I'll be watching this when it's released.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 03:05   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Why nit pick it, it's a movie, when you get a tale of derring do, do you not a bit of artistic license

Dave
Old 23-05-2013, 03:14   #15

Boat: Currently dreaming big

I also like the look of this

Tags
lost, movie