Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 22:54   #61
Registered User
 
ryon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 588
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

It's Hollywood. The same entertainment industry that brings you those cute car insurance commercials, political commentary, and the nightly "news". Anyone who has been aloft knows that this trailer is an "artist's recreation" and not the real thing. It's not terribly badly done, but who needs to use a wrench on a coax connector? Maybe pliers to get it undone, but come on, how often does a PL-259 come unscrewed in service?

Want to see what it really looks like? Let Alex and Kris, with a supporting cast of unpaid volunteers show you:
__________________

__________________
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07   #62
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You wicked man!

Is this a true story -- I mean, I know it's a movie, and some things will be fictionalized, but is it based on a true story?

And why would anyone as good looking as Robert Redford be sailing alone?
It's fiction but, with incidents probably based on some real life incidents like Goat mentioned the Steve Callahan voyage along with some Hollywood scenarios thrown in so they could use the whiz bang special effects.

As for why a good looking Robert Redford type would be sailing alone? Ever sail with a woman (or man for that matter) on a small boat for an extended period of time?
psycho robots - YouTube
__________________

__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01   #63
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Its those damn floating cargo containers every time!
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:19   #64
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Often wonder about the 'container sinkings'... most happen at night when one can't see a damn thing... my experience is there's more trees floating around out there than supposed containers...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30   #65
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,449
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Callahan believes he hit a whale or vice versa. He was able to go back to his boat though for his emergency survival bag. While there he also grabbed his spear gun which probably saved his life. He did have an EPIRB by the way. No one ever responded (when he had it on)

Steven Callahan's boat was only 21' 4" long, and he went down about 450 miles west of the Canary Islands I believe.
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42   #66
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Often wonder about the 'container sinkings'... most happen at night when one can't see a damn thing... my experience is there's more trees floating around out there than supposed containers...
Funny you should mention trees Boatman. I'm currently spending a few days on Eastern Long Island (my girlfriends beach vacation) Not 50 feet from my beach chair was part of a tree 35 feet long lying at the high tide mark. Sobering to me is the fact that this tree was floating out there in the Atlantic before coming ashore. Ironically this tree is in the same location where I took a video of another massive log rolling around in the surf a few years ago:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ADRIFT
Things like this could leave a mark!
__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58   #67
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Funny you should mention trees Boatman. I'm currently spending a few days on Eastern Long Island (my girlfriends beach vacation) Not 50 feet from my beach chair was part of a tree 35 feet long lying at the high tide mark. Sobering to me is the fact that this tree was floating out there in the Atlantic before coming ashore. Ironically this tree is in the same location where I took a video of another massive log rolling around in the surf a few years ago:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ADRIFT
Things like this could leave a mark!
Not many sail the E Atlantic coast in winter and early spring when the storms systems are coming through... lots of trees/logs come down the rivers from the mountains inland... then they potter off S and then W in the Gulf Stream.....
Leaving Panama we passed many as well as we headed for the Galapagos... complete with pelicans etc roosting in the branches... container losses and positions get reported occasionally in the Med on VHF but I've yet to see one at sea.. have also come across large navigation buoys adrift after being ripped from their mooring in a blow.. industrial freezers in the English Channel is something else I've seen.. mind.. that was back in the 80's..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00   #68
Registered User
 
SV.Maverick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seabrook, TX
Boat: Gulfstar 50
Posts: 292
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Does anyone know which boat was used in the movie? I have seen it listed as a 37' and a 39' in stories but have not seen anyone say anything about brand.
__________________
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16   #69
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.Lonestar View Post
Does anyone know which boat was used in the movie? I have seen it listed as a 37' and a 39' in stories but have not seen anyone say anything about brand.
I think I read somewhere that they used three Cal 39 boats in the filming. "They gave up their lives for their art" was the quote I believe.
__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:20   #70
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Not many sail the E Atlantic coast in winter and early spring when the storms systems are coming through... lots of trees/logs come down the rivers from the mountains inland... then they potter off S and then W in the Gulf Stream.....
Leaving Panama we passed many as well as we headed for the Galapagos... complete with pelicans etc roosting in the branches... container losses and positions get reported occasionally in the Med on VHF but I've yet to see one at sea.. have also come across large navigation buoys adrift after being ripped from their mooring in a blow.. industrial freezers in the English Channel is something else I've seen.. mind.. that was back in the 80's..
I guess that's how some of those palm trees ended up in Europe.
__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53   #71
Registered User
 
SV.Maverick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Seabrook, TX
Boat: Gulfstar 50
Posts: 292
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Thanks you were right I was able to google the movie title with Cal 39 and got it. It states in the end credits "3 1978 Cal 39's". Kinda sad they had to sink 3 to make a 105 min movie.
__________________
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 16:35   #72
Registered User
 
Normanby's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 312
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Anyone know where i can get to see this movie in Melbourne, Australia?
I don't think it got a cinema release here in Oz, i may have to watch it on the internet - can anyone suggest where?
Thanks,
Matt
__________________
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 16:39   #73
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Anyone know where i can get to see this movie in Melbourne, Australia?
I don't think it got a cinema release here in Oz, i may have to watch it on the internet - can anyone suggest where?
Thanks,
Matt
I watched a cam copy... the folks walking back n forth for was quite amusing..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 16:45   #74
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,807
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Anyone know where i can get to see this movie in Melbourne, Australia?
I don't think it got a cinema release here in Oz, i may have to watch it on the internet - can anyone suggest where?
Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt
It is due to be released on the 14th of November at Village Cinemas according to this site:
Wrap-Up: Melbourne International Film Festival - Eventfinder
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 17:02   #75
Marine Service Provider
 
Emmalina's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Posts: 482
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
It's Hollywood. The same entertainment industry that brings you those cute car insurance commercials, political commentary, and the nightly "news". Anyone who has been aloft knows that this trailer is an "artist's recreation" and not the real thing. It's not terribly badly done, but who needs to use a wrench on a coax connector? Maybe pliers to get it undone, but come on, how often does a PL-259 come unscrewed in service?

Want to see what it really looks like? Let Alex and Kris, with a supporting cast of unpaid volunteers show you:
I go up the mast when I need too not for fun...
__________________

__________________
Steve .. It was the last one that did this !
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost, movie

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.