Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 18:17   #556
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

My opinion means nothing to anyone but I was so disappointed I had to post.

Cinematography, C-. I've seen better from television nature programs

Acting, D-, unless he was supposed to be playing a dead man walking, as some have suggested, the acting was very bad. I cared not about his fate. He showed no fear, sorrow, joy or satisfaction in his face, just frustration.

Sailing, E-, there wasn't any.

Caveats: Maybe I was expecting too much. I so wanted it to be good. I watched in on my laptop. I did not hold my attention, so I missed portions of it.

"Message In A Bottle", starring one of my least favorite actors, Kevin Costner, emoted more in 5 minutes of sailing than the entirety of "All Is Lost"
Old 08-03-2014, 19:08   #557

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

Acting, D-, unless he was supposed to be playing a dead man walking, as some have suggested, the acting was very bad. I cared not about his fate. He showed no fear, sorrow, joy or satisfaction in his face, just frustration.

Caveats: Maybe I was expecting too much. I so wanted it to be good. I watched in on my laptop. I did not hold my attention, so I missed portions of it.

"Message In A Bottle", starring one of my least favorite actors, Kevin Costner, emoted more in 5 minutes of sailing than the entirety of "All Is Lost"
Nice post, couldn't agree more!!!!!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 19:10   #558

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Message In A Bottle is a great movie. Shame what happens to him in the end though. I felt way worse for Costner than I did for Redford.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:55   #559

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

I agree with almost everything you said, with the exception of your 'd' for his acting. I'd give his acting an A.. He's brilliant and it was the only redeeming factor in this movie. Lol
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:15   #560

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
I say the letter was for his closure. He didn't mail it to anyone. He threw it overboard. If you threw a note in a bottle it would be "addressed" to anyone that found it....
How lucky was he that someone found the bottle ! No bottle... no movie..... ... maybe not so lucky for them of us as wasted time watching it........
Old 09-03-2014, 20:45   #561

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

enjoyed it but I had to cackle when he unpacks the sextant, opens a book called 'celestial navigation' - (probably Mary Blewitts book - a bloody good book but good luck starting in on it in a lifeboat...) then starts making crosses on the map...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 23:56   #562

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
enjoyed it but I had to cackle when he unpacks the sextant, opens a book called 'celestial navigation' - (probably Mary Blewitts book - a bloody good book but good luck starting in on it in a lifeboat...) then starts making crosses on the map...
I thought that was one of the most realistic scenes lol. Left in the box and leave it till a life threatening situation to learn how to use it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 00:03   #563

Boat: Westerly Sealord

...also a bit arsee to find himself right on the steamer ( geez.. that dates me ) track from the Cape to Sunda Strait.

He was very lucky that Maersk boat didn't mistake him for a Somali pirate and blow him out of the water... mind you that would have shortened the movie by half an hour or so....
Old 10-03-2014, 01:32   #564

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
...also a bit arsee to find himself right on the steamer ( geez.. that dates me ) track from the Cape to Sunda Strait.

He was very lucky that Maersk boat didn't mistake him for a Somali pirate and blow him out of the water... mind you that would have shortened the movie by half an hour or so....

Blow him out of the water with what, a super soaker?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 08:20   #565

Boat: C&C 25

Actually yes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 08:25   #566

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

Read Stephen Callahan's book Adrift.

It will make you feel better. The movie seemed to be loosely based on that book anyway:

Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea: Steven Callahan: 0046442257329: Amazon.com: Books

one review:

Callahan, a marine architect, lost his boat in a storm off the Canary Islands while engaged in a singlehanded race across the Atlantic in 1981. Luckily, he carried far more than the basic emergency equipment required, e.g., a six-person raft. Before sinking he was able to recover his emergency equipment bag and his life raft. Callahan admits to having read the survival accounts of Maurice and Maralyn Bailey ( Staying Alive , 1974) and Dougal Robertson ( Survive the Savage Sea , 1973) and even had the latter's manual Sea Survival (1975) with him in the raft. What makes his story different was his lack of a companion. Through his own ingenuity he learned how to spear fish, fix his solar still, and even repair his holed raft. This is a real human drama that delves deeply into a man's survival instincts. It should be read by anyone venturing offshore in a small boat. John Kenny, San Francisco P.L.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 06:24   #567

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:

Caveats: Maybe I was expecting too much. I so wanted it to be good. I watched in on my laptop. I did not hold my attention, so I missed portions of it."

I agree with this. The movie was very disappointing. Not knowing who he was or why he was there made it hard for me to care about the character. I think the movie should have followed some of the same plot as Castaway giving us a little background and a much better ending.

Speaking of Castaway, wouldn't it have been hysterical if Wilson showed up while Robert Redford was in the raft?
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 09:19   #568

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I know some people loved this but we did not care for it at all. I cringed when he jumped in the water or on top of the container without even a line back to the boat. It helped that it was dead calm with nary a swell even but if the boat gets away from you there is no way you'll get back to it if any wind or current at all.

Was also amazed at the size of the hole from the container in dead calm waters. He would have had to hit it pretty hard for that and I doubt he could have slept through it unless it was storming out, and if that were the case the container wouldn't still be on the boat.

The life raft scenes were OK for the most part. But overall we didn't really care for him (i.e. the movie didn't make us care). He was wooden as heck and didn't show the emotions I would have thought he would at some key points. There have been some amazing true life episodes out there so it is not implausible overall - but it started out unbelievable and kept on at it for the most part.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 22:38   #569

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

I had avoided any reviews or info on this movie until I saw it last night. Thanks for the laugh today reading this thread.

I found it a bit too slow, some scenes he's staring off meaningfully for a minute or two of screen time.

I didn't mind the lack of any speech or his casual demeanour as it seriously made me think he was in a VERY different headspace. In fact it made me spend my time saying out loud "are you insane?", "Surely you know your position and where the f&*^ is a compass?", "Oh, here we go again !", "get a battery, a pump…", "stuff something into the hole in the deck, ffs!", "what, not a single water bottle?"

Luckily we watched it at home as it was an entirely frustrating character to behold, which i assume what they wanted to portray.

Neither of us realised the end was possibly symbolic for entering an afterlife, however we both said it seemed again stupid or unlikely that he would have survived giving up and then swimming.
Old 20-03-2014, 04:48   #570

Boat: Bristol 27

This movie was somewhat based on the book Adrift by Steven Callahan. It is such an awesome book I hope folks that are complaining about what a crappy movie All is Lost is will read this book.

First Callahan was 29 years old at the time, he had read several books on survival at sea, (he even had Dougal Roberson's book with him) he was a marine architect, he built the boat he was sailing which was a 21' sailboat he called Napoleon Solo, and he was on a return trip from having already sailed this boat to England from the US.

In all, Callahan spent 76 Days crossing the Atlantic in a Six Man Avon Life Raft.

Dougal Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steven Callahan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie