Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 02:40   #526

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
Does there have to be a reason why a movie is boring?

There is always a reason, but can you articulate it?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:43   #527

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
There is always a reason, but can you articulate it?
It's just my opinion, I think the story lacked depth...it "read" like a children's book to me. I am also not above saying the lack of
Dialogue was a factor as well, but not that big of a factor.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:53   #528

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
I thought the movie was terrible...I feel people are giving it good reviews like they give terrible art good reviews...yea it may be "art", but my eyes certainly weren't glued to the screen, in fact I was surfin on here while it was playing in the background and then abruptly ended.

So you're that guy in the movie theaters who's always browsing cruisersforum! Better watch out, you'll get shot for that kind of s#*t these days.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14   #529

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
So you're that guy in the movie theaters who's always browsing cruisersforum! Better watch out, you'll get shot for that kind of s#*t these days.
I red boxed it, but definitely get your point! Luckily smith and Wesson are usually with me in case some ex law dawg wants to gun me down over a text message. For the record it am a stickler for turning my phone off in the movie theater, I absolutely hate that...and talking...though you could have talked through this movie and still understood it...
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44   #530

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman View Post

No gratuitous swearing, no hip-hop music BS, no obligatory White racist beatdown, no lesbian scene, no bashing of Christians/Conservatives. No overt attempt to make a Straight White Male seem stupid, weak, or evil.

I liked it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You'll probably want to give "12 Years a Slave" a pass then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrontiersman View Post
I did!
...the moral majority is neither.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:45   #531
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

12 years a slave was a shallow attempt, melodrama. It failed to go deep enough into the complexities of racial relations. It did attempt it, particularly with such scenes as the violin gift from the slave owner etc, but we should have seen more of that.

The normalcy is where the real horror can be found. One slave a freeman, successful. His brother, bound and bloody. A abolitionist caucasian placing his money in a bank that is used for loans to slave owners, the only bank in town, he cannot avoid. The subconsciousness of the political system is what is evil and terrifying. The violence gets tiring.

Also, whats up with Saratoga Springs, NY? So angelic? Such a well kept up expensive home for a black man who plays the fiddle? No racism in Saratoga Springs? Group hugs? I almost puked. They should have shown a bit of that reality, just a stain, to make it more real. Disney!

Im with Arnold

Dud of the Week; 12 Years A Slave reviewed by Armond White for CityArts - New York Film Critics Circle - NYFCC
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55   #532
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Also, whats up with Saratoga Springs, NY? So angelic? Such a well kept up expensive home for a black man who plays the fiddle? No racism in Saratoga Springs?
Off topic - I lived in Saratoga Springs for 21 years. At one time it was the whitest city in the US at something like 94%. It may have really been whiter than that at the time because I think the transient workers for the horse tracks got counted. So not really racism because there would be no way to tell.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:56   #533

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well...looks like all is lost...regarding the original topic...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:04   #534
CLOD

Boat: none

I thought he got saved at the end, but my wife thought he was just "swimming to the light"!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:28   #535

Boat: hunter 376

Some movie endings are intentionally ambiguous. Remember "Savages?" The movie ends with a bloody shootout, all the leading characters are killed, then suddenly the movie rewinds to the beginning of the shootout, then ends again with the main characters all surviving and living happy ever after. You can figure Redford survived or didn't. The character isn't real. You could interpret the whole rescue as a hallucination brought on by stress and thirst, and surmise he's still floating out there awaiting rescue, but, since he's not real. the discussion becomes rather moot. As to the accuracy and believability, I point to the Movie U-51, a "based on a true story" about a group of American soldiers who captured, intact, the German enigma code machine, a daring and dangerous a mission which was actually performed by the Brits, thus creating some ruffled feathers over Hollywood's notoriously dramatic license and revisionist history. My take? Its a movie....enjoy it or not. But it is rather fun to subject them to reviews of accuracy, anachronisms, and technical errors as well.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31   #536

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I just recently learned, from a friend whose boat I brought back to life from electrical system hell, that the boat was one of three purchased for the movie. I felt badly that my friend had to pay so much money for a floating black hole. Now I realize he didn't lose anything in the rebuild. It's nice to see that things work out well, occasionally. I wasn't sorry to see the boat sink. It also explains why the interior seemed so familiar, especially the magic locker that all things good emerged from.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:55   #537
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
It also explains why the interior seemed so familiar, especially the magic locker that all things good emerged from.
Oh thats something i didn't hear before
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 15:33   #538

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Yeah, very time our hero went for something (with the exception of the West System epoxy repair kit which was in a settee locker) he went to the hanging locker up forward, starboard side. Clothing, life raft, and other stuff just kept emerging from the bountiful storage locker.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 19:52   #539

Perhaps the entire movie was intended as a vivid but not very plausible dream, by a person whose sailing experience is limited to navigating a keyboard across the lumpy groundswell of an internet forum for cruising sailors.

In that context, the magic locker is just another clue to a dreamstate ... or do I mean cue ?

Queue ? ? ?

Qué ? ? ? ? ?

Meester Fawlty ? Eez no container, eez metaphor for deestant father-figger !
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 14:26   #540

Boat: Little Harbor 38

This guy didn't know what he was doing. He should have stayed ashore.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie