Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 20-02-2014, 11:35   #436
Registered User
 
Captaintim1's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Boat: Island Packet 27
Posts: 82
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

But I do know parts of the movie were spot on.... Because if anything is gonna happen... It's gonna happen out there...
__________________

__________________
Captaintim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:58   #437
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,439
I have spent a big chunk of a long life on the water, built, serviced and worked aboard ships and boats.

Have been living aboard and cruising the last couple of year although more marina time than I care for.

It is not unusual in the evening for me to put on a movie that I have seen before just because it has a sailboat in it.
Did Nim's Island or Mamma Mia see the same type of critique?
__________________

__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 14:44   #438
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
But I do know parts of the movie were spot on.... Because if anything is gonna happen... It's gonna happen out there...
Funny
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 14:49   #439
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I have spent a big chunk of a long life on the water, built, serviced and worked aboard ships and boats.

Have been living aboard and cruising the last couple of year although more marina time than I care for.

It is not unusual in the evening for me to put on a movie that I have seen before just because it has a sailboat in it.
Did Nim's Island or Mamma Mia see the same type of critique?
I loved the boat in Mamma Mia, but it was far easier to criticize Pierce Brosnan singing!!!!!

Vic
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 17:30   #440
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Doodles- I meant to answer your question. I watched it because I watch all movies that have anything to do with sailing, esp sailing solo. And I kept hoping it would get better.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:58   #441
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cruising the Gulf of Mexico.
Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Posts: 1,439
Haven't seen it but will. Redford does some stuff all his own. Kind of like Clint.

Million Dollar Baby was a dark one. One his best though.

All is Lost sounds a bit like my life before things turned a little brighter. Working on my boat gave me a bit of direction till the dark clouds cleared.
__________________
Working on spending my children's inheritance.
Cap Erict3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 20:46   #442
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal
Boat: C&C 25
Posts: 115
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Well we had fun watching the movie, and that with the crap that usually comes out of Hollywood, is a very good thing.

We are newbie sailors, but how many of the old salts actually rehearse such situations?
__________________
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 21:34   #443
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 39
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Watched it yesterday on a plane...incredible movie.
__________________
glowprofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:14   #444
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
Well we had fun watching the movie, and that with the crap that usually comes out of Hollywood, is a very good thing.

We are newbie sailors, but how many of the old salts actually rehearse such situations?
If I thought everything that happened to him would happen to my boat next time I go sailing I would just buy one of those sail drones and put a camera on it. Heck, maybe I will do that anyway and make money as people come to my website and want a sailing experience. I could have a ocean going sailcam....
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:43   #445
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,450
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

He was one lucky old bastard...............
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 15:51   #446
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He was one lucky old bastard...............
Lucky? Depends on your point of view. Did he live or die?

All Is Lost’s ambiguous ending: Does Robert Redford’s character live or die? And what does it mean?
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:30   #447
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I have been a Redford fan for years, and awaited seeing this with much anticipation. Thought it was one of the worst movies I had seen in a long time. Had read the book "Adrift" this winter about an individual who's sailboat went down under similar circumstances and spent 70 plus days in a raft and survived because he was prepared, unlike Bob.
__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:34   #448
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
...about an individual who's sailboat went down under similar circumstances and spent 70 plus days in a raft and survived because he was prepared, unlike Bob.
Boby was prepared; he knew his lines.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:40   #449
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,450
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Boby was prepared; he knew his lines.
Yeah, Stephen Callahan did like 76 days. Another lucky bastard, but he sort of made his own luck.

Old Bob was like your average CF Sailor.

(but) seeing this visually really brought the point home of what Callahan went through. very scary...........

I have read the book twice but this.......................geez.
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:42   #450
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,450
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I have been a Redford fan for years, and awaited seeing this with much anticipation. Thought it was one of the worst movies I had seen in a long time. Had read the book "Adrift" this winter about an individual who's sailboat went down under similar circumstances and spent 70 plus days in a raft and survived because he was prepared, unlike Bob.
Yeah, Bob was more like your average CF Sailor.................the movie was awesome also.

I had been looking for a real blue water boat but now after seeing the movie, I think I'll start looking for a coastal cruiser!!

It kinda reminded me of that poor fool in Robert Stone's book Outerbridge Reach except there was some guy on shore getting with the guys wife.
__________________

__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost, movie

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.