Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 08:54   #31

Boat: Alberg 37
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I hated the first two Lord of the Rings movies until I came to peace with the face that is is a movie and his interpretation of things. Same here me thinks. So I will do my best to overlook as many errors and omissions in this film as the Kiwi's did in LotR... ;-)
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:08   #32

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
In fact, I can't recall a non-doco movie with even vaguely identifiable depictions of big waves in mid ocean.
People will scoff, but I thought The Perfect Storm did a decent job. We all know the phenomena how waves look smaller in photos/film than real life. So they have to exaggerate a bit to make them look dramatic on film. The other problem is storms are usually filmed in tanks and consist of rocking the boat around on a level plane and throwing some water at it. These depictions are truly crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
It matters not what IS authentic, only what is PERCEIVED as authentic. To generations raised on increasingly twisted simulations of reality.

And so yet another generation of kids is raised who will find the real world pale and unconvincing, in comparison with what they were led to expect.
Not to worry. This dynamic is accelerating the division into "doers" and "watchers". As long as you stay in the "doer" camp, you'll be alright, and in fact have more of the great outdoors available to you as more and more "watchers" are created and sink permanently into their couch cushions. It's a shame for them, but you can't do anything about those millions who choose to live their lives in what is in essence a virtual world (and in the estimation of some, is in fact the precursor to a virtual world). The only risk I see is that these "watchers" are in the majority and are the ones foisting rules and regulations on everyone else that flow from their views of risk and what is a proper activity.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:11   #33

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Also look at the frequency the line is vibrating at at 0:10. No way you could get that by hand. Hole drilled in coachroof with wincher below...

Actually wait, not even that. 0:12 you see him grab on thin air. CGI on the line he's puling, maybe internal halyard to winch below. A one minute clip and we can already tear it apart
You're giving them too much credit. Do you really think Robert Redford went to the top of a mast in any manner? That is a 5' high mast replica and he is 12" off the ground if he is not standing on it.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:19   #34

Boat: Cal 2-27

I watch military movies and see people addressed by a rank different than they are wearing. It does not at the end of the day, take away from the movie, I just realize they are actors, directors and producers, not military personnel. In my head, I call out almost all of the inconsistencies that I see when I watch some movies that I am an expert. A non sailor, would not notice, a person not in the military would not notice.

Shute, you should see me on my boat. I often use the wrong tool for the job because it is the tool I have on hand;-) I'm not even in hollywood!
Old 23-05-2013, 09:27   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want it to be realistic, Redford should be spending half his screen time arguing on internet sailing forums.

I mean, we're all real sailors, right???
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:37   #36

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
If you want it to be realistic, Redford should be spending half his screen time arguing on internet sailing forums.

Yes, but ice is out now, so the internet can go way until fall :-D
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
You're giving them too much credit. Do you really think Robert Redford went to the top of a mast in any manner? That is a 5' high mast replica and he is 12" off the ground if he is not standing on it.
Too true...

After thinking about it, though, I retract my original complaints. It shouldn't be too hard to pull yourself up the mast with 4:1 purchase, and after doing a but of Googling it turns out that a lot of people do just that, including using the ratchet blocks as shown in the clip (which apparently work a lot better than I would have thought). It's just that using a method other than ascenders hadn't occurred to me, which I suppose shows my inexperience. Clearly our old sea dog is a better sailor than I! And yes, thanks mbianka for teasing us with this when we have to wait another five months. I'm rather looking forward to it now.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 10:09   #38

Quote:

FREAKIN HILARIOUS! ok, so what is his screen name on the cruisers forum? or does he fancy SA? who on the forum would he look like without makup on?
and is that boat a Hunter??
Old 23-05-2013, 10:11   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Obviously Redford isn't pulling himself up (or couldn't be if this were in real life). He is using one hand to easily pull a line down about six inches at a time, and is hoisted about a foot per pull. I don't care how strong he is, that's not going to happen.

Occasionally I use a 4:1 (3:1?) tackle to hoist myself up. Admittedly I've been in better shape than I am now (hey,"round" is a shape, right?), but I've worked up a good sweat by the time I've reached the lower spreaders. And I have to pull a lot of line to do it.

Regardless, I plan to enjoy the film.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 10:58   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:

Occasionally I use a 4:1 (3:1?) tackle to hoist myself up. Admittedly I've been in better shape than I am now (hey,"round" is a shape, right?), but I've worked up a good sweat by the time I've reached the lower spreaders. And I have to pull a lot of line to do it.

Who needs rope and tackle to climb a mast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast climb.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	61225  
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 11:35   #41

Boat: L 34

Hollywood is hollywood. Watch a few movies that you thought were KILLER when you were younger. My favourite is "The Magnificent Seven" : as a kid this was the ultimate. As an adult it is the most hilarious thing ever. Check out Yul Brunner mincing down the drag looking like, - well a drag. ! A movie is not a documentary and is aimed at the poor proletariat who have never seen a boat let alone an ocean. You're not being offered fact, but Drama.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 11:50   #42

Obviously they didn't have a sailor on the set when then did this scene... no one sailor would not use a lanyard when up the mast. And of course the tool was the wrong one but for the public it hardly matters.

I've gone up my mast w/ a block and tackle... 6:1 if I recall... but it required a line about 300' and it was a lot of hauling. For serious single handers they need to hoist a rope ladder or use ascenders. I need to get up the mast... (Mike????) and and I have a windlass to do it... but I still need someone who can operate it... and that would not be my wife. So I may go for ascenders of a ladder.

Seeing water spouts racing around the neighborhood is a bit unnerving. Been there done that... and luckily they stayed away.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:20   #43

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Note the flat sides.... On at least 1 PL-259 connector anyway....
Attached Images

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Note the flat sides.... On at least 1 PL-259 connector anyway....
Nice to know we're not taking our critique too seriously then...
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:57   #45

Really thought, I could have made a better trailer with my cell phone. I want to see waves crashing, lifelines being grabbed, diving for lobster. Not a guy sitting on top of a mast. He could have shoved that wrench up his ar$e and given as much information about what the film entails than what was shown. 30 seconds of standing still and then a pan to the horizon.....wow, exciting

i will be watching it in the movies.

Tags
lost, movie