Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 07:57   #241

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Where did you find the DVD?
https://movietradehouse.com/index.ph...ame=The%20Dove
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:10   #242

Boat: Farrier f27
Sweet! Thanks OldFrog75
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:22   #243

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

So, we went to see it on Friday evening. ***SPOILER ALERT***

I thought the film was great. It obviously wasn't meant to be a thesis in seamanship. The film was littered with visual plot points to indicate that "Our Man" was wholy unprepared for his trip, both in means of equipment, knowledge/seamanship and experience - such as, the sextant still sealed in its box along with a gift card (same for the Astrnav how-to guide), having to read the instructions on the side of the flares, not knowing how to call a Mayday, leaving the storm-jib below in its bag until the height of the storm and then getting it out of its bag prior to hoisting.. that whole shaving thing..the list goes on..

Eventhough the film was effectively a silent-movie, it was also a soliloquy for "Our Man's" mistakes in life.. as he states in his monologue at the start of the movie (while everyone's still busy opening their candy bags), "I'm sorry. I know that means little at this point, but I am. I tried. I think you would all agree that I tried. To be true, to be strong, to be kind, to love, to be right. But I wasn't."

He cannot be saved until he writes this message-in-a-bottle, which represents his atonement - at the end he's left with two options: the "burning ring-of-fire" or the "white-light of hope"...

..as long as you leave the film realising that its not about sailing you'll find it to be highly eloquent and enjoyable.

I didn't feel that any money was lost watching this film...
Old 20-11-2013, 06:48   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
So, we went to see it on Friday evening. ***SPOILER ALERT***

I thought the film was great. It obviously wasn't meant to be a thesis in seamanship. The film was littered with visual plot points to indicate that "Our Man" was wholy unprepared for his trip, both in means of equipment, knowledge/seamanship and experience - such as, the sextant still sealed in its box along with a gift card (same for the Astrnav how-to guide), having to read the instructions on the side of the flares, not knowing how to call a Mayday, leaving the storm-jib below in its bag until the height of the storm and then getting it out of its bag prior to hoisting.. that whole shaving thing..the list goes on..

Eventhough the film was effectively a silent-movie, it was also a soliloquy for "Our Man's" mistakes in life.. as he states in his monologue at the start of the movie (while everyone's still busy opening their candy bags), "I'm sorry. I know that means little at this point, but I am. I tried. I think you would all agree that I tried. To be true, to be strong, to be kind, to love, to be right. But I wasn't."

He cannot be saved until he writes this message-in-a-bottle, which represents his atonement - at the end he's left with two options: the "burning ring-of-fire" or the "white-light of hope"...

..as long as you leave the film realising that its not about sailing you'll find it to be highly eloquent and enjoyable.

I didn't feel that any money was lost watching this film...
Old 20-11-2013, 08:19   #245
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I'd like to offer a final twist I hadn't discussed before for fear of giving away the ending.

AT&T he end, when he is drifting down into the briny depths, and he sees the light and swims up to the outstretched arm....

That COULD be taken as a metaphor of God reaching down to save his soul, while his Earthly countenance continues to descend.

Just a thought.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 08:26   #246

Why does someone always have to push the religion button?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 21:28   #247

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'd like to offer a final twist I hadn't discussed before for fear of giving away the ending.

AT&T he end, when he is drifting down into the briny depths, and he sees the light and swims up to the outstretched arm....

That COULD be taken as a metaphor of God reaching down to save his soul, while his Earthly countenance continues to descend.

Just a thought.
That's funny, I totally took it as someone saving him. My mom (who us not religious) thought that the white light meant something else, maybe he didn't make it, maybe the white light was his death. It made for a great discussion on the way home.
Old 21-11-2013, 06:32   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
That's funny, I totally took it as someone saving him. My mom (who us not religious) thought that the white light meant something else, maybe he didn't make it, maybe the white light was his death. It made for a great discussion on the way home.
According to the director, he assumed that everyone would understand that he'd died as 'all lights blinked out' before his eyes reopened and he swam to the surface with renewed vigor and no air coming from his mouth or nose.

Apparently, he was very surprised [yet pleased] that so many people had assumed he'd been saved. You're right, made for a good discussion on the way home...
Old 21-11-2013, 06:34   #249

I'm just waiting for the Vatican-based Hollywood blockbuster follow-up entitled, "All pope is lost!"
Old 21-11-2013, 22:15   #250

Boat: Kristen 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
According to the director, he assumed that everyone would understand that he'd died as 'all lights blinked out' before his eyes reopened and he swam to the surface with renewed vigor and no air coming from his mouth or nose.

Apparently, he was very surprised [yet pleased] that so many people had assumed he'd been saved. You're right, made for a good discussion on the way home...
That was my thinking, he swam toward the light, also the burning life-raft was a halo.....
Old 22-11-2013, 06:16   #251

I want a bosun rig like his that allowed him to pull his full weight up the mast like it was a burgee !
rboylan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 07:25   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Why does someone always have to push the religion button?
If the film was only about sailing it would have been called, "All is cost"
Old 22-11-2013, 07:46   #253

Unfortunately you are soo right!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 07:57   #254

When the movie starts you find Our Man 1700 miles from the Sumatra Straits. Since he's an American, I assumed he sailed the boat he was in from somewhere in the US to his present location. I also assumed decent sailing skills were required to get him there. But once the camera starts rolling he shows little in the way of sailing skills.

When he doesn't jump out of his bunk as the water gushes in, I found myself confused. Most sailors I know consider a rush of water pouring into the cabin of their boat a crisis situation. I realize he's no spring chicken but this guy had no sense of urgency throughout almost the entire movie (shaving before the storm ). The only time he seemed to actually show he REALLY wanted to be saved was when one of the ships passes right next to him. There was actually some emotion there.

That lack of urgency was why I squirmed so much during the movie. And I walked out of it wondering what the writer, director and Redford himself were trying to accomplish other than creating a silent movie. All I could come up with that made sense was this was intended to be the final sail for Our Man because, for him, all was lost before he set sail from home. But I have found nothing from Chandor or Redford to support that premise.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 08:11   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
But I have found nothing from Chandor or Redford to support that premise.
And you probably never will. This is a very European Existentialist style film where interpretations are left up to the individual viewer. Who is he? What's his story? Why did he do this? Why did he do that? What was he thinking? Since the script doesn't provide the answers, we have to come up with our own. I thought it was a refreshing change from the usual Hollywood product.

Tags
lost, movie