Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59   #181

Boat: Rafiki 35
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/assets...ect/048922.pdf

Production write up.
Deepdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 14:15   #182
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

A little more about EPIRBs: The SARSAT system is now being upgraded with satellite receivers piggy-backed on GPS satellites.

The folks at NASA Goddard Space Flight center produced an informational video on the SARSAT system: NASA/NOAA | Saved By A Weather Satellite - YouTube
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 14:57   #183
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
A little more about EPIRBs: The SARSAT system is now being upgraded with satellite receivers piggy-backed on GPS satellites.

The folks at NASA Goddard Space Flight center produced an informational video on the SARSAT system: NASA/NOAA | Saved By A Weather Satellite - YouTube
Well the system is being trialled aboard a pair of GPS , GLONASS and Galileo gnss birds. Called DASS in GPS land ( distress alerting satellite system ) I believe only the Galileo birds can do two way communications back to a modified Epirb. The project has not got formal roll out and the 2 way messaging system has yet to be decided.

Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 15:19   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Practical Sailor had an interesting take on it. Rather than carping about the technical mistakes they viewed it as some guy who looked at all the glossies of white sand beaches, palms, sun dappled seas, and light winds. Then, once off shore, all the reality caught up with him.

Obviously a minority interpretation, but perhaps not a bad one. It is an interesting lens with which to view the film.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 15:45   #185
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

LMAO.... what is a 'seasoned sailor'...
I've done 3 solo W to E trans-Atlantics... owned 14 boats and never carried a liferaft or an EPIRB... just a H/H GPS and an inflatable dinghy on the foredeck...
The only boats that have these goodies are the ones I deliver...
I know some folk who've done 500miles coastal cruising a year for 10yrs who consider themselves seasoned...
I did more than double that in 10mths last year.. am I seasoned... or still marinading..
Its about a guy who takes a chance and everything goes pear shaped... it happens.. even with all the kit.
But hell... its CF and every ones read all the books and magazines.. right
And... he's not that different from some CF members if you think back.. and you don't have to go that far back...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 17:40   #186
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Did anyone notice a HUGE continuity error? Immediately after the "rollover" scene, the side portlights can be seen wide open behind Redford's head.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:51   #187

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Note to all Hollywood producers: If your considering making a movie about sailing, please consult all the experts on Cruisers Forum.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:43   #188

Back when Steve Callahan's boat went down, EPIRBs didn't connect to satellites like they do today, and the battery technology didn't signal for as long as today.
SteveWolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 17:57   #189

Boat: Columbia 41

Again, if the screenwriter distills the film to the details, the details should be right. Was the Redford character new to cruisiing? Then show is in a flashback. Did he loose equipement overboard, then show us the loss. Answer the viewer's questions as the come up in the film. There are plenty of people who do know about cruising but it seems none of them are in the screenwriter's circle of friends. So, the poor fellow had to thrash it out on his own with only an old copy of Donald Street's OSY to guide him.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:30   #190

Boat: 42' vagabond

well, 'they're' not showing this movie in all of Florida, biggist state of boating year round. so.....the name of movie is all is lost does that mean he dies in the end? if so, how do they know all these mistakes redford makes, who would tell of such a tale. don't worry about spoiling the ending, can't see it anyhow. i'm looking for a pirate version down in miami.....serves 'them' right aaarrhhh
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:43   #191

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

We just saw the movie.........it cost more for the tickets than they spent on the film.... There was a total of 6 people in the theater... Regardless of any mistakes they made in the making of the movie.... It was a very painfull experience for the 6 viewers in the theater to have to sit and watch this boaring movie.

I was hoping that one of the ships would run over him so the film would end and I could go home...

Just my 2 cents
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 19:55   #192

Amen to that! I used to be a flight attendant with a major airline. I had him in first class, on his way to a... political event... at the White House. He sat huddled in his own empty row; never spoke or made eye contact with anyone. Sad case.
Islenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:16   #193

This isn't a movie about human survival nor is it about a seasoned sailor who had the misfortune of having his boat impaled by a shipping container. It's the story of a man who lost everything, family, friends, job, dignity, respect and sense of self worth. All is lost. Life wasn't supposed to be like this so he held on to a thread of hope but that thread was slipping through his hands slowly. And that's how he would go out, but he wanted to do it with some sense of dignity.

I walked into the movie expecting to see the story of sailor who was faced with a great challenge. But instead of reacting like someone who wanted to survive, he showed no sense of urgency, from the moment he found his ship was impaled, to ensuring the boat was seaworthy, to pumping it dry, to preparing for the storm, and on it went. This man had all but given up.

But I didn't get that until the final scene. I'm not sure how they could have done a better job conveying that at the beginning of the movie without giving it all away, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. How many men would shave their face just as a storm approaches rather than prepare their boat for the storm? He was preparing the body for the wake.

If you take the premise that he set sail feeling hopeless about getting back what he lost and seeing the ocean as his final resting place, everything else makes sense. And when he breaks down crying, it's because he's thinking of everything he lost, before he even set sail.

He makes half-hearted attempts at saving himself but repeatedly sets himself up for disaster. He doesn't care but he doesn't want to go out with a bullet in his head. He had to at least look like he tried. And in the end he gets his wish, when the hand reaches out from the light and takes him home.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29   #194

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

Thank you for the insight .... Your post is more enjoyable than the movie... So for the rest of you.. Save the 25 bucks admission for two and read the above post ( which I thinks nails it).....
Good job
Thank you
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Practical Sailor had an interesting take on it. Rather than carping about the technical mistakes they viewed it as some guy who looked at all the glossies of white sand beaches, palms, sun dappled seas, and light winds. Then, once off shore, all the reality caught up with him.

Obviously a minority interpretation, but perhaps not a bad one. It is an interesting lens with which to view the film.
There is quite a bit of that going on. You see it every day on cruisersforum. Most aren't quite as unfortunate as Our Man.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie