Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 05:40   #136
cruiser

Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeClaire View Post
Great flick and pretty darn authentic I thought.
I'd like to know the make and model of the boat he was sailing. Anyone?
it is only mentioned half a dozen times in this thread.

I am looking forward to the pirate movie 'Captain Phillips'. At least that is based on a true story. I read the other day that true life Capn Phillips was roundly panned by his crew for his behaviour during the whole awful business, so lets see how Holywood depicts this fella: Hero, or Douchebag who put people in more danger than they were already in.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:12   #137

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeClaire View Post
Great flick and pretty darn authentic I thought.
I'd like to know the make and model of the boat he was sailing. Anyone?
I heard it's a Cal 39.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 06:38   #138

Boat: S2 11.0C

Redford is a rabid progressive. I will not spend my money supporting his endeavors.
Goblinfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:00   #139

Leave goofy politics alone and just enjoy a good movie, its all make believe anyways including most of politics
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 07:45   #140

Saw it last night in Montreal in French ("Seul en Mer").

Pretty fantastic movie, but I'm looking forward to the discussion here about technical errors.
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 11:33   #141

Boat: Ohlson 38

Leslie and I just got back from from watching the movie. We both give it two thumbs up! Best 90 minutes I've spent in a while.

Robert Redford underplayed it...no ridiculous dramatics. Just quiet determination and guts right up until the end. Another plus is that the movie didn't use dramatic music to tell us how we should feel. They allowed the photography and acting to carry the movie. I highly recommend this movie.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 12:36   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Ok, would you recommend it to a wife that is just starting to really enjoy sailing and has reservations about me soloing? I solo about 30 % of the time, both big and little waters.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 12:41   #143

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Ok, would you recommend it to a wife that is just starting to really enjoy sailing and has reservations about me soloing? I solo about 30 % of the time, both big and little waters.
Absolutely....NOT!

If you can find a way to sneak off and watch this movie on the down low, you won't regret it. As long as you don't get caught that is.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 17:33   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Surprisingly my Wife didn't get freaked out by it. She even engaged in some of the detail bashing.

A far cry from where she was.

I might go see it again, just to concentrate on thr audience reactions. Fella who sat next to me was fairly vocal, but at odd times. "Wow" "no way". "****" etc.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 17:48   #145

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Unfortunately, we (Southern Australia) can't see it until Feb 2014.. No bloody wonder pirating copies has taken off..
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 17:56   #146

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
Saw it tonight.
Gotta agree with this reviewer:
All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review | Old Salt Blog – a virtual port of call for all those who love the sea
Amazed at the continually poor judgment of the sailor, and at the many technical flaws.
Wish I'd waited for Netflix.
OMG - it's a 90 minute movie not an hour by hour fly on the wall..
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:23   #147

Saw it yesterday. (No spoilers.)

Great cinematography, great acting.

But, he (the character) was not the victim of unusual or conspiring events. He was a person who made a lot of bad decisions and prioritized his tasks poorly. And, apparently had never even considered his emergency procedures, let alone practiced them.

Oh, and he had a "magic boat", you just turn the wheel and you are sailing.

Oh, and who doesn't talk to themselves?, at least a little?. There weren't 15 words in the whole movie.

all-in-all though, very good movie.
grogerso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:30   #148

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

We drove to Philly last Friday have dinner and then saw the movie. Not to my surprise, the movie house was just 1/3 full. I guess this movie is so odd with just one actor and practically has no dialog. It was a big gamble for those who funded the movie despite it has a big name actor in it.

My brief reviews:

1. I did not feel bored at all during 106 min in the movie.
2. The photography is not as good as Life of Pi, although the underwater scene was shot by the same camera person in Life of Pi.
3. The story was written by a person who is apparently not a sailor, thus many things were not so logical to a seasoned off-shore sailor. Not sure if they had a consultant in this matter.
4. If this was a real life situation, a season sailor would not die. Robert Redford's performance is top notch. But the main character made many mistakes how he handled the boat.

Obviously, the director portraits Redford as a season sailor. He did not panic when disaster strikes. In real life, this will likely happen:

1. Cargo container would have punched a hole below the water line on the boat. Redford is lucky in this regard.
2. Redford should use the wood board from the company way to fix the hole with screws and reinforced by fiberglass from both sides.
3. He should have two bulge pumps working or get it working again. He is doing off-shore sailing. He must have redundancy.
4. When he sees the storm is coming, why didn't prepare for the worst. He did not pull the storm jib out until the storm is at its peak. He failed to "heave-to" to stabilize the boat during the storm. As a result, he has a broken mast and a several knockdowns.
5. It was a miracle that after washed overboard, he could get back on the boat. In real life, it is unlikely even if he is tethered to boat unless he is a super strong young mam.

6. Why didn't he carry an EPIRB and personal GPS beacon. No one leave port sails into the ocean without these two devices.

7. If he have a portable VHF radio, he could call other ships in the shipping lanes.

8. Of course, under this stressed situation, one's mental status can be a concern. That is one reason all off-shore sailors constant prepare for disaster physically and mentally.

It is a good movie, not a great one. It is too bad that this movie will scary away lot of sailor wannabes. I took a few employees with us to the movie. All told me that they would never come sail with me. ...........hahahah.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:43   #149

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

My wife and I tried to see this movie last week. We are both experienced offshore sailors, both having dealt with a few major issues at sea. We both had high hopes for this movie as well.

We were both very disappointed.

The opening scene was filled with so many simple, obvious, and inexcusable sailing mistakes that the film lost all technical credibility, right out of the gate. Every single view had conflicting elements from previous ones - good breeze, no breeze; sails up, sails down; glassy calm, good chop - all within the same few minutes apparently. So how does a modern fiberglass sailboat, under wind vane or autopilot presumably, sail sideways into the corner of a shipping container, with enough force to rupture the hull laminate and leave a massive hole in it? Oh - and it's flat calm at the same time - or was it choppy? depends on which 4 second frame you pick.

And if you were woken from your sleep by the crashing of said collision, and witnessed water pouring into your hull - wouldn't it make sense to deal with the ingress of water first, before disengaging the container and opening an even larger hole? wouldn't you be likely to express some kind of sound, an expletive, a grunt, a word? I don't know but just about any solo sailor I've talked to talks to himself a lot offshore - heck I do it on watch - it's a natural thing, especially if things are a bit hairy. These are only a tiny fraction of the issues we had with the movie - and all in the first 15 minutes.

It lost all credibility with us. Immediately, and irrevocably. SOS? huh? what is this - 1917? It's called Mayday for starters, and even non-sailors and children would have been able to find massive flaws in the logic and procedures this idiot went through in his struggle. ..."Dad, why did he get off his boat, onto the container, without tying it on first? ...that doesn't seem very smart, dad.". Nope, it isn't - it's so dumb in fact that it is not believable. Like the rest of what we saw of the movie.

And I like Robert Redford - good actor. but c'mon. there were what, 15 words spoken? ******** I say. not believable.

we walked out, and do not regret it.

If you must see it (And I had to), wait for netflix.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:50   #150

Boat: Club Sailor; various

We saw it today. I enjoyed it in spite of the technical flaws which to some extent were due to budgetary constraints (it is a relatively low budget film afterall). I don't think the movie was made for sailors - it was made for the general public and is more a testament to the indomitable (albeit sometimes stupid) spirit of man than a textbook about surviving sailing emergencies.

Not being an accomplished sailor himself, the director has always been very forthright in interviews (written and live) that the film contains numerous oversights and mistakes that seasoned sailors would find fault with and he asked for their indulgence when they watched it. He also hoped that the audience would accept that the character did this too late in life, with too little preparation, and bit off a lot more than he could chew. If anything is missing it is some backstory to that effect.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie