Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28   #1

Boat: 2002 Hunter 306
Advice on mounting a Sky Chair

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a sky chair (skychairs.com) for the Admiral. I saw a boat earlier this year that had one, and basically the idea is that you mount it on a halyard and pull it off the deck a couple of feet along with running another line forward to center the chair between main and foresails. Really is quite comfy and you use it only while at rest, of course.

My problem is that my boat has in-mast furling, which rules out the use of the main halyard, which is what the other guy used. Does anybody know (without finding out the hard way) whether the topping lift line and gear on a Hunter 306 would support the weight? Since I have a...uhm... rigid boom vang I don't use the topping lift anyway, so it's just dangling there without a purpose. (good grief...sorry, but how else are you gonna describe it?)

At 205lbs I will personally be avoiding the thing, but at half that, the Admiral will be the primary if not sole occupant.

Thanks in advance!

Nico
SVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 14:30   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Advice on mounting a Sky Chair

Welcome to CruisersForum, Nico
If your topping lift is 8mm (5/16") polyester, its breaking strength (when new) was over 1000kg (2200lb). You can safely assume that the remaining safe working load is much above your weight.

You could also change for higher-performance line, such as Dyneema or Spectra core with polyester sheath.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23   #3

Boat: 2002 Hunter 306
Re: Advice on mounting a Sky Chair

Thank you very much for your reply, Alain! That makes me feel a lot better. I will certainly have to replace my running rigging soon - probably in time for next season - but it's good to think that it could likely still support 100 lbs of weight.

I think I was also partly concerned about factors beyond the line itself, such as the standing rigging, which is a typical Hunter B&R rig without a backstay, and whether the blocks at the top of the mast that hold the topping lift can support the weight.

But surely, those all would be fine. A B&R rig would need to be able to support a spinnaker and/or genoa at full load, so why not a sky chair. Hopefully, the blocks at the top of the mast aren't in any way brittle and worn through...

Thanks again!

Nico
SVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle