Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 00:50   #76
cruiser

Re: Advice Needed On Board Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Stop giving them $120 a year you've lost the lot. Same with amazon prime music and Google play music, they've got you locked in paying for life or you loose your music collection.

Or stream for free and buy the stuff you like to listen to on whatever device you like. Both with merits and a personal choice, each to their own.
Nope. I still own over 10,000 song titles that I purchased over the past 45 years. The only thing that changed was the way I access new media or oldies... which I'd need to purchase if I stuck to the old way of doing things.

I realized this around six months ago when I was on amazon about to purchase 10 CDs of flamenco guitar music for the upcoming summer. The checkout price was $139 for 10 CDs which included shipping. I cancelled the order, subscribed to apple for $9.95, downloaded not only the albums I was going to buy anyway, but over 100 additional albums. Now if I want something, I just click and it's added to the collection. No more buying.

Before subscribing, I was easily spending over $500 per year on new and used CDs and downloads anyway. The subscription saves hundreds of dollars and provides an unlimited selection.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:18   #77

Boat: Presto 36

I have a Fusion Marine stereo head unit, with AM,FM,Sat.radio, with additional usb and cell phone input, multiple outputs including remote control and NEMA 2000 connectivity to the multifunction plotter. I mainly listen to the Sat. Radio.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:20   #78
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Nope. I still own over 10,000 song titles that I purchased over the past 45 years. The only thing that changed was the way I access new media or oldies... which I'd need to purchase if I stuck to the old way of doing things.

I realized this around six months ago when I was on amazon about to purchase 10 CDs of flamenco guitar music for the upcoming summer. The checkout price was $139 for 10 CDs which included shipping. I cancelled the order, subscribed to apple for $9.95, downloaded not only the albums I was going to buy anyway, but over 100 additional albums. Now if I want something, I just click and it's added to the collection. No more buying.

Before subscribing, I was easily spending over $500 per year on new and used CDs and downloads anyway. The subscription saves hundreds of dollars and provides an unlimited selection.
If you're happy subscribing forever then why not, many people aren't.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:36   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
If you're happy subscribing forever then why not, many people aren't.
Well, hopefully I've opened up the minds on a few people as to the unlimited possibilities of new music access. To the folks who seem stuck in the eighties... good luck listening to just your oldies and keep on spending to own if you want to expand.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:53   #80
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Well, hopefully I've opened up the minds on a few people as to the unlimited possibilities of new music access. To the folks who seem stuck in the eighties... good luck listening to just your oldies and keep on spending to own if you want to expand.
That's where many prefer to do things different to you, owning the material instead of being locked into whatever apple/amazon/google decide to do/charge with the service in the future. People have different preferences, your choice works for you but others decide differently. If you can cope with that idea
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Few thousand songs downloaded free from Youtube to usb sticks which play at home, car or boat. No subscription, no proprietary devices, no hassle. Big bubbles no troubles
Old 01-07-2017, 17:26   #82

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I buy music at a quality well above a streamed version.........which you are not suppose to download?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 17:57   #83
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Admittedly out of touch with modern music management, but i have one probably dumb question?

Background:
In the 70's-80's we had those FM Radio stations that played hours and hours of uniterupted music late night... Not Radom but beautifully chosen to complement each other in a seamless way, often carrying the story with different artists in a Rock opera way

Really talented DJ's who had that magical touch of fading different songs into each other, with an ear to pitch and tone.

If available today, I would pay to record those sessions for different moods and time .

Do such DJs still exist?
I guess they are called Playlists.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 18:54   #84
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are still DJ's, they just play live affairs now. Some just as famous as the ones who did radio for us. But sometimes, I'd swear the streaming algorithms hit the spot just as sweetly. And I can't figure out how or why the 'random' mix on my audio player sometimes can strike out for three days in a row, but other times create mixes that surely couldn't be random! In theory, a really sharp service could use algorithms like Pandora's, but also datamine to determine who was listening, what you were likely to be doing, and create a playlist that was even better. (Scarey, huh?)

Bitrates and quality? Heck, even iTunes is 256kbps now, and you'd need one damn fine audio system, zero ambient background noise, and outstanding young ears to tell the difference between that and anything higher. The days of shoddy mp3 files for $5 earbuds are largely over. (Took long enough!)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music