Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 10:28   #16
Marine Service Provider

The word of the day, "sheeple".
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 12:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: A Life Worth Living

So what happened to Bob Bitchen and Kats and Atts?

I thought it was kinda the rag for the lifestyle?

Miss it, and the covers!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 12:28   #18

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I think yall sound drunk, emotional and loved up.

Man up fellas and get back to anchor, head and guns aboard topics please

All this bon homie is unsettling
Old 24-12-2012, 13:53   #19

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"It seems some folks miss out on that "tribal" learning that helps one conform to the crowd. "
In the 1600's the British had some disagreements with the Pilgrams about religious and societal issues. So the Pilgrims booked passage to Virginia and left England.

And went off course to Plymouth Rock, but hey, it wasn't England, so they stayed.

And then a couple years later, the Pilgrims had enough of the continuing ongoing religious intolerance and THREW OUT a chunk of the colonists, who fled south and started Connecticut. Well...That didn't last last, the Pilgrims in CT, who had been thrown out of MA, who had been thrown out of England, all because everyone was so intolerant, promptly THREW OUT another batch, who started Rhode Island. Kind like the Bangladeshies, the folks in RI got stuck with what was left.

Tribal learning?

As the Arabs say, I and my brother, against my cousin. I and my brother and my cousin, against our uncle. We and our uncle, against the tribe. We and our tribe, agasint the next tribe...
Tell it any way you please, tribes and tribal infighting have always been the norm. Tribes only co-operate against larger enemies with less common bloodlines.

Tribal swings both ways.
Yeeeshka, Mamma hellosailor! Like the others said, live in the moment and enjoy all that's around you and those you are sharing it with at the time.

Can't argue with your history lesson, but people need to choose whether to give that significance or not. Me, not so much!

Wars, disagreements and such have been going on forever and always will. Not much we can do about that, we can only control how we view the world and choose to interact with others. All the Best!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 14:21   #20

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

There are a lot of different tribes out there.
Most people can find one that is at least a rough fit.
Old 24-12-2012, 14:54   #21

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So what happened to Bob Bitchen and Kats and Atts?

I thought it was kinda the rag for the lifestyle?

Miss it, and the covers!
Bob and crew pulled it all back together and resurrected everything under a new name and masthead. "Cruising Outpost" now. They just published the first issue of the new mag - same flavor, a good counterbalance to my navy blue double breasted blazer and white pants. I'm a charter member of the new operation. New island music web radio, new forum, they brought it back to life.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 04:17   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

What binds folks together is a common danger - whether that be the elements or other people. or both.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 06:16   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: A Life Worth Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

This is really funny, IMO. No lovey dovey, or dyed hair, or French undie talk from the sunny side of the hill!

Pint 0' Murphy's luv?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:52   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
@beachbum, Hellosailor & all.

I am talking about the individual vs. the tribe. Whatever size the tribe if you choose to be with the tribe there is a social expectation to attempt to conform. If one its truly a "loner" that's fine. However the folks that attempt to make the tribe conform to them, or try to take benefit from the tribe without contributing or attempting to fit into the social standards are the ones that gripe me.

I get that many sailors are loners but I find it funny when they rock up to a marina and bitch about how that "tribe" has made it too expensive and they can't get free dinghy dock, free water, free shower, free laundry and free mooring.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:58   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

E. O. Wilson did a good treatment on the social element of human in his recent book.

"The Social Conquest of Earth"
http://www.amazon.com/Social-Conques.../dp/0871404133

Kinda dull in places, but when he does eventually get to the point.

Sort of explains how social critters evolve (eusocial) and how that applies to humans.

The long and the short of it is, in his opinion, not about individual survival and selection but the survival of the "tribe" (colony, hive, etc.) This brings about most of our ethical norms; altruism, compassion, forgiveness, sacrifice.

I can see the forces acting in myself, even though I consider myself a loner (excepting my Wife, my fellow loner.) Interesting read, especially when combined with some self introspection and distanced observation of human behavior.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 09:57   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dan, what you call tribe I call a herd of stray cats. Mavericks, loners, not affiliated or obligated to each other at all in the way tribes are bound. The guy on the next boat may look like me, dress like me, even curse like me, but that doesn't make him my tribesman.

Mayhaps you remember the scene from the Pink Panther? Something along the lines of:
"May I pet your dog?"
Certainly.
"OUCH! HE BIT ME!"
That was not my dog.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 10:00   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Life Worth Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
E. O. Wilson did a good treatment on the social element of human in his recent book.

"The Social Conquest of Earth"
The Social Conquest of Earth: Edward O. Wilson: 9780871404138: Amazon.com: Books

Kinda dull in places, but when he does eventually get to the point.

Sort of explains how social critters evolve (eusocial) and how that applies to humans.

The long and the short of it is, in his opinion, not about individual survival and selection but the survival of the "tribe" (colony, hive, etc.) This brings about most of our ethical norms; altruism, compassion, forgiveness, sacrifice.

I can see the forces acting in myself, even though I consider myself a loner (excepting my Wife, my fellow loner.) Interesting read, especially when combined with some self introspection and distanced observation of human behavior.
Shoot... we are all in the same initial tribe according to Science and Religon. On the one side a blob.. on the other a hetrosexual couple who lived together...
From these two we split of into various sub tribes... and all the way down to small boats.. which have 3 tribes... then theres the sub tribes in each of those... ROCNA, Manson, Bruce... the list is ever growing...
basicly we are only into people who share our lifestyle, values and pleasures to a large extent...

And us loners get to play in all of them....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 10:16   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dan, what you call tribe I call a herd of stray cats. Mavericks, loners, not affiliated or obligated to each other at all in the way tribes are bound. The guy on the next boat may look like me, dress like me, even curse like me, but that doesn't make him my tribesman.

Mayhaps you remember the scene from the Pink Panther? Something along the lines of:
"May I pet your dog?"
Certainly.
"OUCH! HE BIT ME!"
That was not my dog.
Tribe is a word that carries a lot of baggage with it. I prefer to use Monkeysphere. A more modern term used to denote the Sphere I associate with. You can have all kinds of interests and lifestyle in common with me but you may not be someone in my monkeysphere.

it is very difficult to be part of our species and not associate with anyone. People that disassociate are usually having a rough go of it by "normal" standards.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 12:55   #29

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

I think ya right Anjou. Its Christmas.

We'll beat em all up after the New Year party.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:25   #30

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
What binds folks together is a common danger - whether that be the elements or other people. or both.
I've been thinking a lot about cruisers and danger lately and I have to say that when we started cruising in areas where people feel out of their element we found ourselves finding fewer people to hang out with because some people, when faced with novelty get so stressed out that they aren't fun anymore.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote