Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 20:53   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
A gun thread with a difference,,,,,,

A few years back i was anchored in an inlet that was very good for catching mudcrabs in. It was dusk and i was returning back from checking the pots when i noticed another yacht had anchored nearby.

It was 'Deadly Daves' boat this guy was a firearm/war story freak no he was a nutter!!!!! , as i came alongside in my dinghy i said Hi and grabbed the lifelines nd stood up for a chat!

Dave was sitting having a wine his wife was below cooking, to the right of Dave on the cabin roof was an AK-47 loaded. Now this was in a populated relatively crime free/no pirates/no threat area, to tell the truth it scared the crap out of me.

Not sure who the supposed enemy were????

Without breaking down into pirate talk, nor my right to carry talk, have you been confronted by a scenario like this?
Old 05-07-2012, 21:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: A gun thread with a difference,,,,,,

Of all the people I know who are really into guns, they all seem pretty normal. Guns are a hobby to them.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 05-07-2012, 21:37   #3

It is not unusual for some guys to sit around while their wives in the galley. It is a very 50's thing.

The AK 47 - that is unusual in my parts. Maybe that is a 50's thing as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 21:43   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive sat in the cockpit while Connie cooked, without the semi-auto rifle!!(maybe a harpoon LOL) She sits there when I cook but she has her Cane Knife at hand at all times LOL I guess it's a choice of weapons thing ya think ???
Old 05-07-2012, 22:55   #5

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

OH, PLEASE ! If you want to start another gun thread, I guess you can. It surprises me how open minded the mods are about this, as it has nothing to do with sailing. Perhaps if we're lucky, they'll delete this whole thread by 9:00 tomorrow morning. I honestly pray they do.
You've posted in the " recreation and fun aboard " section of this forum. I'm really curious what "Dangerous Dave " and his AK-47, has to do with Fun and Recreation while sailing. We'll slide by the ridiculous choice of location for this thread and focus on the stunning level of ignorance we've been asked to consider. Oooo. Not cool. Sorry about the ignorance thing. Let me re-phrase that. You are displaying an alarming cognitive deficit.
So " Dangerous Dave " has an AK-47. So what ? Well over two million Americans have AK-47's. AR-15's are selling at the rate of 50,000 a month and have been for over a year. Over two billion rounds a year are used just in target practice in America.
Now, about your degree in Psychology that qualifies you to define "Dangerous Dave" as a Nutter, a term which I for the life of me, cannot find in the DSM diagnostic system. If he is a felon or has some history of psychotic behavior or domestic abuse, then by all means, you should inform local law enforcement. If you are qualified to make a diagnosis and you do not act on it.... Perhaps this will help your analysis of Dangerous Dave, http://www.blatner.com/adam/level2/dxvariables.htm
With 988 posts, I see you are not some random troll. When you get to the U.S. look me up. I'll teach you about guns and American values. You can show me your sailing skills. In America, where we are still somewhat free, guns are part of our heritage, our culture, and we are better off for it.
Old 05-07-2012, 22:58   #6

Wow it was intended as a lighter side to things if it offends why even comment.......
Chill a little?
Old 06-07-2012, 00:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Wow it was intended as a lighter side to things if it offends why even comment.......
Chill a little?
There are cohort of 2nd Amenders that are very vociferous in discussing it's contents, meaning and infallibility.

I probably wouldn't qualify as my guns are tools, for the most part. They provide meat for my table, get rid of varmints, and occasionally provide recreation at a range.

Mind you, I don't cruise or plan to off the coast of Yemen.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:10   #8

May as well kill the thread seems some Americans are a bit too highly strung to share any humorous or strange situations involving people living aboard unnecessarily wielding weapons. After all cruising is supposed to be kicking back.

To us Australians brandishing weapons in a relaxed situation is a little strange may as well go back to listening to the boring anchoring threads.

Cheers enjoy.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
May as well kill the thread seems some Americans are a bit too highly strung to share any humorous or strange situations involving people living aboard unnecessarily wielding weapons. After all cruising is supposed to be kicking back.

To us Australians brandishing weapons in a relaxed situation is a little strange may as well go back to listening to the boring anchoring threads.

Cheers enjoy.
Bet an AK47 has a decent kickback. Actually i would not know, never shot one nor seen one, in the metal, but i bet Bruce Willis can draw and shoot one one handed.

Coops.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

Without breaking down into pirate talk, nor my right to carry talk, have you been confronted by a scenario like this?
Nope!

Is it possible there are more gun toting internet cruisers than real gun toting cruisers?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:39   #11

Methinks you may be right!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:06   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
OH, PLEASE ! If you want to start another gun thread, I guess you can. It surprises me how open minded the mods are about this, as it has nothing to do with sailing. Perhaps if we're lucky, they'll delete this whole thread by 9:00 tomorrow morning. I honestly pray they do.
You've posted in the " recreation and fun aboard " section of this forum. I'm really curious what "Dangerous Dave " and his AK-47, has to do with Fun and Recreation while sailing. We'll slide by the ridiculous choice of location for this thread and focus on the stunning level of ignorance we've been asked to consider. Oooo. Not cool. Sorry about the ignorance thing. Let me re-phrase that. You are displaying an alarming cognitive deficit.
So " Dangerous Dave " has an AK-47. So what ? Well over two million Americans have AK-47's. AR-15's are selling at the rate of 50,000 a month and have been for over a year. Over two billion rounds a year are used just in target practice in America.
Now, about your degree in Psychology that qualifies you to define "Dangerous Dave" as a Nutter, a term which I for the life of me, cannot find in the DSM diagnostic system. If he is a felon or has some history of psychotic behavior or domestic abuse, then by all means, you should inform local law enforcement. If you are qualified to make a diagnosis and you do not act on it.... Perhaps this will help your analysis of Dangerous Dave, diagnostic variables
With 988 posts, I see you are not some random troll. When you get to the U.S. look me up. I'll teach you about guns and American values. You can show me your sailing skills. In America, where we are still somewhat free, guns are part of our heritage, our culture, and we are better off for it.
Thanks for the heads up Seems like somewhere to avoid - especially if some of those gun owners have imaginary freinds - and talk to them about stuff they have read on the internet.

BTW, anyone know where the US is? It's not on my chart - and that covers the centre of world, if not the unviverse.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:14   #13

Quote:
In America, where we are still somewhat free, guns are part of our heritage, our culture, and we are better off for it.
You really need to get out more....
Old 06-07-2012, 04:30   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Without any real stats it's hard for anyone to say. People who carry guns aboard are probably as prone to thinking more people do carry as those who don't carry think they are the majority. While I'm prone to believe more do not carry I also believe a lot more carry than others migt wish to believe. The idea that all who carry, will even tell you they are carrying or are all macho Rambo types is absurd as well. Deadly Dave's reckless display of a firearm can be illegal as well, but does not reflect the vast majority of those who carry. I also believe that a lot more people here on this board carry than most are aware of but choose to remain silent for several reasons ranging from it's just none of anyone else's business to not wanting to suffer the immediate childish Ad Homimen attacks from the same old posters everytime a gun thread begins. I rarely ever comment on the gun threads because in my opinion gun threads are an adult converstaion that seems to bring out the repressed school yard bullies in a few who check their adult status at the door.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:37   #15

I guess my point was the mindset of living a cruising life free from constraint requiring a tool like an AK-47, Dave turned out to be a total nutter he was arrested for marching in the RSL Anzac day march without the right as he had never served, Dave was deluded he was further charged with fraud.

Wonder how many other Dave's are out there, point of thread was the question "has anyone else been confronted by similar?