Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 05:56   #61

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: A case for the sailing YouTuber

YouTube vids can be fun to watch, I check out about six of them. I find most of them are a bit agonizing to watch regardless of edit quality, but everyone’s tastes are different, it makes the world go around as it were.
I think that there is a bit of jealousy from those who wimper about the youtubers.
They are out doing what is cool for them to do, I am doing many of the same things, but I have no desire to chronicle my life in such a way, much the same way as I do not text endlessly or carry my cell phone with me all the time. Different perspectives from different generations on what is “cool” or lame. I have found as I get older that there are very many people who are judgement to the point of being socially rude , and that does not shine a good light upon them, oh well back to finding a good line to use as an anchor chain snuber,

Fair winds all,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:02   #62

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You may not careless but theres most likely a market that can relate to their sexual preferences and few providing the product. Do you represent everyone?
That was just my personal oppoinion - obviously not the same as your opinion.

I don't consider queer poly cats being a USP on a sailing channel. Just like I don't consider T&A a USP for a sailing channel. But thats just me.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:14   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I have found as I get older that there are very many people who are judgement to the point of being socially rude
Yea. Grumpy old men rule!

Funny thing is I am just few years from being counted as a millenial myself but to me this hole thing of YT is just a bubble made for kids to get their 15min of fame instead of a job.
Old 30-08-2018, 06:16   #64

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
That was just my personal oppoinion - obviously not the same as your opinion.

I don't consider queer poly cats being a USP on a sailing channel. Just like I don't consider T&A a USP for a sailing channel. But thats just me.
And that's fair enough. Personally I'm not overly interested in the above either BUT it is very unique, and in our current world I'm assuming there's enough interested and not much competition, therefore good luck to them.

Like all market places there's an optimal time to enter, Delos and La Vagabond entered at the right time with the right product. Eventually the market place gets flooded and it's harder and harder to establish yourself or at least distinguish yourself from the crowd.

I know three boats attempting to do the patreon thing, one has a reasonable USP being a young family and the mums a babe, but the other two don't really offer anything different, therefore it's going to be a hard gig.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:21   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Two of us are published US authors so believe me we value the written word.
Cool. Provide the links to your published works. I'm waiting.

By the way, in post #50, you wrote "We kind of unique ..."

As a published academic researcher and pro medical editor (no joke), please allow me to help you out:

Use the words "We are ...", or the contraction "We're ..."

I hope that helps.

Ciao, bello & bellas
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 06:37   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
And that's fair enough. Personally I'm not overly interested in the above either BUT it is very unique, and in our current world I'm assuming there's enough interested and not much competition, therefore good luck to them.

Like all market places there's an optimal time to enter, Delos and La Vagabond entered at the right time with the right product. Eventually the market place gets flooded and it's harder and harder to establish yourself or at least distinguish yourself from the crowd.

I know three boats attempting to do the patreon thing, one has a reasonable USP being a young family and the mums a babe, but the other two don't really offer anything different, therefore it's going to be a hard gig.
This queer USP is definately unique: Add a ex-female transgender gay male with a dog and you have a niche that is small enough so nobody will find it.

Why does T&A sell? because the majority of grumpy old sailors is straight.

Again: just my opnion, no offense
Old 30-08-2018, 07:51   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
As a published academic researcher and pro medical editor (no joke), please allow me to help you out:

Use the words "We are...... ."
Interesting. My understanding of the (otherwise particularly) American habit of attacking one's use of "less than perfect English" as a means to denigrate has dastardly origins (in addition to no practical utiliy).

On topic, my take: the YT phenomenon is transient. The Patreon dollars come from discretionary spending that is not sustainable with another economic downturn.

The biggest threat that I see is that for a few thousand dollars you can put yourself in the middle of the ocean with a colicky baby or something along with an emergency transmitter that cost governments tens of thousand to over a million dollars to respond to.

An wisdom says that if you don't regulate yourself, you will get regulated. When you see some of the idiocracy on some of the YT channels (not just sailing), the mind worries about the future (that I think is reflected in the criticism of YT in general).
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 08:24   #68

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

This is slightly off topic, but here's another reason why I have started to put my own videos on YouTube.

I have watched home movies evolve from the 8mm projector to the camcorcorders through mini-discs and now by phones on to the internet.

I have taken all my childhood super8 movies and had them transferred to DVD's. But I have lost some of the ones on tapes of various kinds simply from not getting it done in a timely manner.

I see the Internet and YouTube in particular as a way to store memories for my kids and grandkids to see one day.

The don't have to be Public, you can make them for just friends and family. But it's definitely something to consider.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 08:47   #69
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
Wow, thats hard to watch. They probably won’t be around long.
i agree. live and let live...let Darwin sort it out.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 09:08   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
But what do think of my second point above, as a woman? Ie: what the heck are women supposed to sail in if not swimsuits? Men sail in their trunks shirtless all the time, but a bikini is verboten? Doesn't seem fair....
LOL, I wear the same clothing on the boat, as on land. No, that's not a Bikini either. To me, old bitty that I am, T&A may sell video's, but it objectifies women and weakens women's rights.

Perhaps a video showing women installing a new head stay and furler by herself (been there, done that), cleaning the hull bottom (great exercise), or changing the engine oil, would give a more realistic view of the cruising life.

Of course, that would not sell video's.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 09:21   #71
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
LOL, I wear the same clothing on the boat, as on land. No, that's not a Bikini either. To me, old bitty that I am, T&A may sell video's, but it objectifies women and weakens women's rights.

Perhaps a video showing women installing a new head stay and furler by herself (been there, done that), cleaning the hull bottom (great exercise), or changing the engine oil, would give a more realistic view of the cruising life.

Of course, that would not sell video's.
it would if she was doing it in a bikini :P
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 21:03   #72

Boat: Cape Dory 25D, 25 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
some role models here.....screwing it up for the rest of the cruising community,in real time youtube style...........

Just mind boggling... no, worse, mind numbing. I could not get through more than a couple of minutes of that video.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain
Trailer Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 21:16   #73

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
A case for the sailing YouTuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
But yes asking for donations is like begging and it's no different from a person with a guitar on the street .

....and busking is enterprising. The thing the USA was built on. We are not required to start a business, hire people, and become Facebook. Lots of small businesses, mom and pops, like keeping things small.

I’m not a millennial but I sure as hell want to ditch the 9-2-5 and go travel. Anything less is incomprehensible.

Hey.... these channels are entertainment and I often learn a bunch. Things as simple as where someone went to find a part in a particular city or how they worked a problem.

It IS possible to enjoy both technical texts and autobiographical material at the same time, they aren’t mutually exclusive.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 21:34   #74

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Cool. Provide the links to your published works. I'm waiting.

By the way, in post #50, you wrote "We kind of unique ..."

Use the words "We are ...", or the contraction "We're ..."

I hope that helps.

Ciao, bello & bellas
Hey there, thanks for the help! I definitely use the same level of care and editorial diligence on the interwebs at 3 am as I would were I still writing professionally, so it means a lot. Oh, here ya go; I got up extra early so you wouldn't have to wait all day! (totes joke)

My wife wrote a dictionary:

https://www.forewordreviews.com/revi...ight-of-words/

I wrote a collection of short fiction:

https://www.amazon.com/Goat-Trees-Ta.../dp/0974199966
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 21:38   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
it would if she was doing it in a bikini :P
Pfff. Boys.

Great informative video on, um, bowsprit repair. Talk about an outfit on a woman to get the electricity flowing!

https://youtu.be/qF4OGZoiZ0w
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing