Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-01-2014, 11:37   #16
cruiser

Re: 12v TV

I have a majestic 12v w/ DVD, claimed to be ultra low power consumption. $520 from defender and it has issues playing the 3rd episode on some older DVDs. It's a odd problem that was more of an issue last year, it's almost like it fixed itself. I've randomly called the maker for warranty but being out and about it's probably won't get shipped back till June. Other than that I would probably buy another or go with Jensen.

Old 28-01-2014, 11:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've had three LCD TV's On boats over the years, Samsung, LG and a Toshiba with built in DVD player. All came with an converter from 120VAC to 12VDC. I cut off the converter and hardwired them into the 12VDC system. All worked fine and never had a problem.

Old 28-01-2014, 12:21   #18

Boat: Morgan 382 - 38' 4"

Here is my 13" Naxa mounted to the aft side of a hanging locker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073 resized 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	74857  
Old 28-01-2014, 12:32   #19

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Our existing TV is mounted on a Vesa standard folding arm that allows us to pull it away from the shelf and rotate if needed. The viewing angles on it are good enough to watch from either settee.

TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 13:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Generally any of the small LCDs will have poor sound, a function of small speakers in a small case. If the TV cost $99, how much of the budget went into speakers?

The fix is to connect the aux input of your stereo (assuming you have one) to the TV, and play the sound through your quality stereo speakers (TV sounds good through my Realistic Minimus 7s).
Bingo! You'd be amazed though that some small TV's don't have an audio out function.....
Old 28-01-2014, 13:14   #21

Boat: Catalina 310

A friend but the Supersonic on his boat last year. Good picture quality but as mentioned, the sound wasn't that great.

We were looking at the Naxa. Will probably check out the one MS recommended now too. Please let me know what you go with and how you like it.

Jesse
Old 28-01-2014, 16:59   #22

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Using real speakers is key. I currently have my tv hooked up to some PC speakers with a sub woofer. Sounds much better than the built in speaker. Once we leave to go cruising I will use the 12v stereo.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 17:22   #23

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I bought a Haier 22" TV which comes with a 12V power brick - I haven't tried to use a cigarette lighter adapter yet but that is in the cards. It has a ton of interfaces, many of which I have connected to the radio, DVD player, Blu-Ray player, computer. On paper it is perfect. In reality it is very poor quality. The display looks good straight on but limited viewing angle (particularly viewing below horizontal). Sound is limited but that is to be expected - through the radio it is great. The problem is that random text characters randomly appear and extend across the screen. And the USB chip was flawed and now broken so no time-slipping anymore and no playing video from USB (I can now do that with the Blu-Ray player). I cannot recommend this TV but I hope the warning is as worthwhile as a recommendation...

Edit: the warranty is short and poor also.

Greg
Old 28-01-2014, 18:33   #24
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I had a very bad experience with a 22 inch 12 V RCA TV/DVD. This was in 2004. The thing broke down under warranty, but the RCA tv was really a Thomson and they basically would not honor their warranty. I never could get it fixed, because all the warranty repair places had gotten burned by Thomson never reimbursing them. I hope someone else is leasing the RCA name now! It crapped out while I was watching "Master and Commander" on DVD.
Old 28-01-2014, 18:50   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've had three LCD TV's On boats over the years, Samsung, LG and a Toshiba with built in DVD player. All came with an converter from 120VAC to 12VDC. I cut off the converter and hardwired them into the 12VDC system. All worked fine and never had a problem.

Exactly! I can't believe this many people have shelled out extra for an inferior RV or "marine" set, especially guys like Maine Sail!

Just go to the TV store and start reading the fine print on the back of TVs. You will find that almost all have a converter box on the cord converting the 110 to a wide range of voltages, from 9 to 20 some-odd. Just find one that runs at 12V, cut off the cord with converter box, and wire it in to your boat system. This way you can get nice LED TVs in HD for cheap. Look for "Energy Saver" stickers, they often run at the lower voltages. Marine and RV TVs just aren't anywhere near as nice, and the regular ones seem to last just as long. Modern flat screens are tough.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 18:52   #26
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
I had a very bad experience with a 22 inch 12 V RCA TV/DVD. This was in 2004. The thing broke down under warranty, but the RCA tv was really a Thomson and they basically would not honor their warranty. I never could get it fixed, because all the warranty repair places had gotten burned by Thomson never reimbursing them. I hope someone else is leasing the RCA name now! It crapped out while I was watching "Master and Commander" on DVD.

I think that may have been the DVD, not the tv....

Old 28-01-2014, 19:27   #27
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
12v TV

Kogan here in Oz sell plenty from 16" to 24". I bought a 24" LED, AU$169 with DVD ( not blueray) and PVR that works on 12v without the need for any special leads or adapters. The only problem with is that switching channels is extremely slow so if you are the dial skipping sort you'll hate them. I think Kogan also sells out of Oz.

Matt
Old 28-01-2014, 20:00   #28

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You may be over thinking this. The LED TVs use less power than any other types which is only around 100 watts at 110v. 100 watts is nothing. I can fart 100 watts. MY Philips 40" claims an 'energy guide' usage of $8 a year in electricity. This is off the low end of the scale and you gotta love this. It has all the good stuff and wifi too. Sounds great and is about $375. There are smaller ones and they usually use less. It also a 10% tolerance on voltage. Get one of those itty bitty inverters and you are good to go. Here's a link.
LCD vs LED vs Plasma 2013: Electricity Cost
Old 28-01-2014, 20:19   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Exactly! I can't believe this many people have shelled out extra for an inferior RV or "marine" set, especially guys like Maine Sail!

Just go to the TV store and start reading the fine print on the back of TVs. You will find that almost all have a converter box on the cord converting the 110 to a wide range of voltages, from 9 to 20 some-odd. Just find one that runs at 12V, cut off the cord with converter box, and wire it in to your boat system. This way you can get nice LED TVs in HD for cheap. Look for "Energy Saver" stickers, they often run at the lower voltages. Marine and RV TVs just aren't anywhere near as nice, and the regular ones seem to last just as long. Modern flat screens are tough.

Our first tv was bought that way, a Polaroid, but it was taken out by lightning. With the newer TV's it is getting tougher to find versions with 12V wall worts & built in DVD..

I looked at probably 15 TV/DVDs none were 12v except for one.. I called that manufacturer and was told it needs 12V +/- 0.1V... When I added in the cost of a 12V supply the cost of that TV was more than our current TV.. I think I paid 179.00 for our RCA and it is specifically designed for 12V systems is HD and has a great picture. It is really for our 6 year old so I can't really comment on it other than it works, we have no viewing angle issues and the pic is as good as our 50" TV at home.. It is LED back lit and draws nearly 1.2A less than our old Polaroid TV...
Old 28-01-2014, 20:27   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Our first tv was bought that way, a Polaroid, but it was taken out by lightning. With the newer TV's it is getting tougher to find versions with 12V wall worts & built in DVD..

I looked at probably 15 TV/DVDs none were 12v except for one.. I called that manufacturer and was told it needs 12V +/- 0.1V... When I added in the cost of a 12V supply the cost of that TV was more than our current TV.. I think I paid 179.00 for our RCA and it is specifically designed for 12V systems is HD and has a great picture. It is really for our 6 year old so I can't really comment on it other than it works, we have no viewing angle issues and the pic is as good as our 50" TV at home.. It is LED back lit and draws nearly 1.2A less than our old Polaroid TV...

I rock a 33" LED in the aft cabin and a 21" LED in the forepeak for the kids. They barely register when they are both on. You are right about built in DVD players though. Nobody wants to bulk up their wafer thin flat screen like that anymore. I prefer a separate Blu Ray player in any case, as they have so many added functions these days.

If you do a little looking on the forum, this is yet another topic which has been much discussed in the past. I haven't found any if the units I've used to be picky about exact voltage, anything in the ballpark seems to work great, no problems with picture or longevity. But in the past some on the forum have used a 99c voltage regulator from radio shack which keeps the voltage exactly what it should be through high voltage periods like charging. It's all been discussed before.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: