Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 11:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MK I
What's the word on hauling out at Puerto Escondito?

Hearing that Puerto Escondito is under new ownership? Planning to haul out and dry store my sailboat from end of August until mid March.
Anyone want to weigh in on current state of this facility, any recent experience?
It's of course hurricane season here so I'm especially keen to hear they have their t's crossed and i's dotted. I won't be nearby unfortunately.

Thanks!
geoff
Geoff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 11:39   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: What's the word on hauling out at Puerto Escondito?

I'll be back in P.E. tomorrow. When I left there were quite a few being hauled out, and only one horror story. The crew stepping the mast ended up cutting the wiring harness and cutting up the headliner to get at the deck stepped mast bolts. Unfortunately there was simply a pin and a plug that would have avoided that fiasco. I believe the storage facility is on gravel which could be a problem if there is heavy rain along with wind. I can check that if you want.
Basically keep an eye on the haul out. I haven't heard of any problems except the mast stepping.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:00   #3

Thanks goat! Yes please, if you do learn anything further re: the surface material of where the boats are dry-stored, that would be valuable to me.
I'd heard that last year a boatowner called about the status of an approaching hurricane, and management there hadn't been aware anything was coming, and that indeed it did hit and there was damage. Could be untrue but it came to me from what I would consider an honest sort.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Hi Geoff, just walked through the boatyard, surface is concrete. There appears to be room for 5 or 6 more boats. Most boats seem to be well supported to avoid domino effect. There is one that hasn't been prepped for wind; jib isn't wrapped by it's sheets and actually has a handkerchief of sail unwrapped. The furling main also has some exposed sail. Any wind over 40 kts will, at best, blow the sails out, and worst, topple the boat over. I'll see if I can find the yard guy to look into it.
A lot of cruisers from this coast went over to Guaymas as it's supposedly a lot cheaper. The proximity to Loreto international airport do make Escondido attractive.
The tienda is open, as well as a new pizza place. I'll be stopping by there tonight to check it out. The moorings are kind of deserted right now, so you should be able to get prompt service.
I'm heading north towards Bahai Los Angeles tomorrow afternoon, let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 19:43   #5

Wow, I so much appreciate your taking a look and letting me know. So helpful. Looks like we will haul out on Mon the 21st. Have been talking to Javier and we have a reservation. Will be trying to arrive over the weekend prior, I guess to a mooring or anchorage there.
I wish you were going to be there to personally thank you, but I wish you the best in your travels and hope I can return the favor some day Goat
Best to you,
Geoff
s/v Un Mundo