Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2015, 10:45   #1

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Southern Bahamas and The Turks & Caicos

I am not a full time cruiser but do 4 to 6 week trips with a finish at a planned marina to leave my boat for a period of up to 6 months.

The next trip I'm considering is leaving Key West, Fl, where my boat is currently located and sailing the southern Bahamas with the Turks and Caicos as my final destination. Afterwords on the next trip I then plan to proceed further south in the Caribbean after that. I have fairly fully studied the issue with having to go to windward on the next passages till I get to BVIs but with my Swan 36 I've done it quite a bit and she handles it well. I'm looking at the possibility of doing this leg in September or later this year.

So my question to the forum is can anybody give me information on good ports and or marinas to contact? Or are there any on CF the are in The Turks & Caicos I can communicate with?

Am I possibly on the wrong track hear and maybe I should consider a different stop location.

Thanks

Old 14-05-2015, 11:32   #2

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'
Re: Southern Bahamas and The Turks & Caicos

Turks & Caicos (Providenciales) is a popular stopping off point when travelling to the BVI. Catching a good weather window before circumnavigating the Mona Passage is recommended and TCI is where it's done at. There are two marinas. One in Turtle Cove and the other which is easier to get in and out of is an IGY marina in Leeward landing. FYI, People prefer turtle cove because it's closer to stores, restaurants, and shops but if you decide to go into turtle cove, don't do it at night, and Call Crazy George to come out and get you. Breakers on both sides as you come through the outer marker, hard right, and a spot where two boats can't pass each other going through. Then a very narrow stretch that leads into sellers pond and the marina. Bring George a bottle of Rum, and you're good to go. Customs and immigration will come to either marina for checking in. You will wait a bit though.. I forgot to tell you that with a strong northeastern wind, turtle cove closes down to boat traffic because it breaks all the way across..

Old 14-05-2015, 12:57   #3

JstaRebel:

Thanks for the reply I have been able to find all the sites you identify except the TCI you state as the place to wait for a weather window. Can you give me more detail on that?

This is very helpful.
Old 14-05-2015, 13:43   #4

Boat: Catalina C34

TCI is "Turks and Caicos Islands"
Old 15-05-2015, 08:19   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

And don't forget the hurricane season -- runs through November.
Old 15-05-2015, 08:22   #6

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Not a marina but a beautiful place to stop and see is Abrahams Bay on Mayaguana Island, the Bahamas. Good anchoring and fantastic diving. Be very careful if you use the east passage, west passage is much safer.
Old 15-05-2015, 13:55   #7

Boat: '06 Hunter 45cc Sailboat, 45'

I fully agree with Sdwcheney! Definitely Abrahams Bay and YES, The West Entrance. The reef and the high ground make this a protected anchorage in all but the worst weather.

As JstaRebel said, Turtle Cove is the place to be. It's safe, protected and near everything. When going in, be certain it's all power and NO sails. Also, regarding customs, the Officer will stop by, deliver your forms and tell you they'll be back in about 30 minutes to "give you a chance to freshen up a bit." Propriety says to shower, wear clean shorts with a collared shirt and set out some light refreshments (No Alcohol.) If you're polite, customs and immigration clearance will be a breeze.
Old 15-05-2015, 14:03   #8

Thanks to you all. CF has been the best source of information I have found for this trip as usual.

Glad to hear any more input but this has been a great start for my planning.
Old 15-05-2015, 16:22   #9
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '01 Leopard 38, 3 cbn

Blue Haven Resort and Marina (IGY) North side

Caicos Marina & Shipyard | Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands marina/boatyard South side

Keel boats need to be real careful around TCI

good luck

Bill
Old 16-05-2015, 06:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbeyond View Post
Blue Haven Resort and Marina (IGY) North side

Caicos Marina & Shipyard | Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands marina/boatyard South side

Keel boats need to be real careful around TCI

good luck

Bill
ALL boats need to be careful on the south side. There are a few marked channels through "The Banks", but stray off of them and you better have a lookout up on deck. The possibilities of running into a coral head are many. Also, never circumnavigate the Bank's after dark.

I bet I know you Bill..
Old 16-05-2015, 07:20   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorian 35

Bring your check book. If I read the Turtle Cove web site correctly, for your 36 footer you'll be spending $47 per day on a 3 month rate...$27 for storage and $20 for a mandatory utility fee whether you use utilities or not. Perhaps the later could be negotiated.
Old 16-05-2015, 09:58   #12

The cost will surely be a consideration. I could afford to pay the price for the long term slip if I could get the Untilities dropped. My cost at Key West is nearly that now although I had hoped for less.

My boat is totaly self suficient and needs not shore power or water when I'm not there and I even can live with none when on board by solar with a rare engine charge is completely enough for my power needs.

Plan to be contacting the marinas before I go to be sure of the price.

Thanks for the info.
Old 17-05-2015, 06:29   #13

Hi all. Great thread, and timely for me. I will be motoring from the BVIs to TCI(and then to the Abacos) in early June. Does anyone know if there is fuel at either Grand Turk's South Base docks, or at South Caicos?
Old 17-05-2015, 09:08   #14

@ Taildragerdrive.. Check out Turtle Cove Landing.. They have slips that are right across from the Marina. There are also more slips the other side of Shark Bar there in Sellers Pond..

A Oaseas.. Grand Turk has fuel available. I'd skip South Caicos. Difficult in and out, lots of obstructions if you don't know where you're going, not marked well, and if you draw over 6', forget about it.. "Just My Opinion"..

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: